it's gonna work out * starlightpaw

bio ₊˚✧ ゚. tension held in him bleeds out. the camp is seemingly preoccupied with the return, seemingly retiring or sharing their tales and ventures. it's almost with comical ease that bitekit is able to stick himself by the water with no curious faces about interruptions. he doesn't know what he's doing in from of the river by the nusery. he had wanted to be home, wasn't that what he has wanted? he's not sure.

he follows the long river in camp until he reaches one that he isn't able to cross, stretching wide and long, rushing by. regarding the body of water with unusual for him wisdom, he decides against attempting to swim in the thing.

rather, he approaches the beast of rushing water for a drink, taking the opportunity to lap at the crisp water. he's been similarly drinking in the exploration, even if it isn't sitting right. in camp isn't right either. the thought dissipites as he dips his paws in the river, taking refuge from the sun. he's glad everyone's seemingly busy, he's really tired of being in trouble. his eyes follow the movement iunder the water, he reaches out to prob the shadowy, wiggley creatures with a paw but they dart away so fast, he's not sure they are there in the first place.

@STARLIGHTPAW

( )  Starlightpaw feels so jittery lately. She paces camp, lets herself get swept up in any distraction that comes to her. Anything to ignore the horrible grief that claws at his chest. Watching the river provides a welcome avenue, observing all the little creatures in it while keeping to the shallows carefully.

It seems today he's not alone, though. Starlightpaw follows the path of the river to the dark splotch that mars the horizon, a kit younger than him whose name he hasn't bothered to remember. Had the starblessed siblings stayed in the nursery, perhaps they would know this child, but as is the sight of the child is foreign to them.

Her eyes trail from the half-submerged kit to the creatures he watches, an aching nostalgia bubbling up. "Tadpoles," comes the apprentice's clipped tone. A breath, dispelling the bittersweet memory -- and rhere's an amused twinkle to the stars in his eyes as he looks back to the scrap of black fur. "Hah -- you look like you could be one of them." Bitekit's paw reaches out far too slowly, scaring the little creatures away; Starlightpaw remembers he sister's far faster reflexes on his own outing with a tinge of bitterness. Still, there's something playful in their haughty tone as they speak. "Are you trying to catch them or join them, little tadpole?" A singsong tease, but meant with no malice.
border.png

• //
  • ✩  ⁺ ₊  ⋆ STARLIGHTPAW. APPRENTICE OF RIVERCLAN. HE / SHE / THEY.
    4 MOONS & AGES ON THE 12TH. PENNED BY SATURNID.

✩ — A WIRY, CURLY-FURRED BLACK SMOKE WITH CLOUDED BLUE EYES.

SMOKETHROAT xx CICADASTAR. LITTERMATE TO BEEPAW & CICADAPAW.

MENTORED BY PETALNOSE

bio ₊˚✧ ゚. as soon as the words disrupt the gentle rush and gurgle of the water his head jerks up, and has to look behind his other shoulder before looking the other direction and seeing the curly furred apprentice. he huffs, ears instinctively pulling back. "that's not true!" the comparison has him looking bewildered, which quickly develops into an expression as if he's eating something sour, deciding it's an affront.

starlightpaw is similarly unfamiliar to the kitten mostly kept under the tight leash of his mother begging him not to wander too far since the return to riverclan.

"who're you anyway. wouldn't be surprised if you were called..." he grasps for the insult, but it seems to slip away from him, like the shadowy tadpoles scattering with his touch. "who cares." is the default response that gets tacked on. something about the apprentice being older, having more freedom has envy digging it's claws deep into him. "it's a nice spot." bite explains with excessive defensiveness, as if he needs a reason to be by the water.

"don't you have apprentice.. stuff to be doing?"

( )  The little patch of pitch puffs up his fur and pulls back his ears. His expression contorts, confusion to displeasure, but on a cat of his size it looks more comical than anything else. That's not true! The child huffs, while still looking decidedly tadpole-esque. Starlightpaw chuckles a quiet birdsong laugh.

He quiets as Bitekit ques up for an insult, ears perking as he awaits his new name. But ah, what disappointment. "Who cares?" Starlightpaw echoes automatically, attempting to wrap their mind around whatever joke this kit is trying to make. There isn't one, she concludes. "Mm, who cares, quite a strange name that would be. No, no, I'm called Starlightpaw." Name enunciated carefully, practiced and perfect. They make no move to leave, ear twitching as Bitekit continues speaking.

"A nice spot, yes," comes her birdsong echo. "That's why I'm here. I've done my training for the day." A tinge of bitterness creeps in at the corners. He's supposed to be resting now, but resting is not becoming of Starlightpaw. He'd rather be preparing for the next attack or working on his swimming than watching tadpoles with a kit. But if he must, he'd much rather one less disrespectful. "You've no claim on the river. Can we not both enjoy this spot, hmm?" He hums, narrowed eyes cast downwards.
border.png

• //
    5 MOONS & AGES ON THE 12TH. PENNED BY SATURNID.

MENTORED BY PETALNOSE

bio ₊˚✧ ゚. He flounders when he see's the abject failure of his joke. "Starlightpaw..?" He find himself echoing, the name makes him think of the sky, he likes it he thinks. Not that anyone will ever know it. "Bitekit." As he introduces himself the words are spoken as a brag, as though he isn't named after nipping everything in sight as a much younger kit. Training. Familiar jealousy rears it's ugly head in response to her words. He wants to be an apprentice, wants to have freedom to explore the land so badly, so badly it keeps landing him right back in the nursery through sneaking out so often. His ears enduring what feels like moons worth of lectures. If he were listening to anything beyond himself he might have noted the tone that seemingly creeps into their words. "What training was that?" It's easy to spit the words, something that he's well acquainted himself with, to a degree he is often grating to ears. He's unable to stop the: "Was it fighting?" That slips out of his mouth. "I fought in ShadowClan."

"I was here first. Why do you have to be here too?" Questions are easy to drill in, he's found during his somewhat fruitful bullying period in ShadowClan that pelting questions was an easy way to pull a reaction.

( )  Bitekit. A fitting name, for the bite of his tongue if nothing else. And he asks after fighting... Perhaps his name defines him, as it does Starlightpaw. One born to divinity, the other to violence. "Fighting..." she echoes softly. The kit's claim is grand, and altogether laughable. "Another kit, I suppose? That's not really a fight, tadpole." The name is tacked on, a replacement for his proper one. A subtle dig at his defensiveness; with a curious eye, they watch for reaction. They had spats too, when they were a kit. Their brother's claws across their nose, the first time that red spilled from this stardust vessel. But that was different. Not like a real fight, not like the thrumming adrenaline and chaotic yowling. A dress rehearsal. "I fought the rogues, here in RiverClan -- you don't really want to fight, trust me. My training -- sparring, yes. Fighting, not really. Just practicing, hmm?" Like Bitekit's been doing, though he wouldn't know it yet. Maybe his name, his snapping ire, will make the fighting come more easily to him. Starlightpaw can only hope.

Their response to his accusation, his questioning, comes easily. His words are an annoyance like a thorn in her paw, but she can match words with words quite easily. "It was my river first, before you got here. Quite graceful -- ah, no, gracious. Quite gracious of me to let you have it too." The warriors -- the leader, his pa, would take his side if he sent this kit back to the nursery. A kit out here, unsupervised? It'd be justified. Though, that's not quite what Starlightpaw means. My river. Bitekit has no claim on the river, but they do. A birthright, child of the river king -- kings. This scrap of fur has no right to deny them it.
border.png

• //
    5 MOONS & AGES ON THE 12TH. PENNED BY SATURNID.

MENTORED BY PETALNOSE

Last edited:

bio ₊˚✧ ゚. He nods furiously, chest puffed out. "Yeah. They hated me over there." Its excluding context, but he says it with a sense of pride, a feat he had achieved. His expression sours at what he perceives as dismissal of his fighting 'accomplishments'. "Its is!" When compared to the rogue attacks that had his paws glued to the ground, spit, blood and claws flying. That was what must be a fight, the pathetic attempts at inciting something he admits to himself but never not out loud, was hardly comparable. At the mention of the rogues, his ears fling back. "I was there." he clears his throat. "It was important to look after camp." Is gritted, it's only terrible things that surface at the mention: missing dad, missing home, missing the rush of the river. He shakes his head, shaking the thought loose.

Sparring. "But." Bitekit huffs, assured in his assumptions. "What's the difference?" Starlightpaw responds to his questions, but it's not the accusatory or angry tone he's wanting, or expecting. He sticks his chin out up at them. "I'll fight you for it." he tosses up the bravado easily, and stupidly. "Like.. Like we do with the sunning rocks."