Joy, disaster, come unbound here | lichentail

MAYBE I'D BE A SAINT IF I WEREN'T ————————————​

Friendship is, one full turn of the seasons and then some since the creation of the clans, still a little foreign to Snakeblink. He is unsure how to approach it; how to avoid driving Lichentail away, now that they are willing to be close to him.

Their injury has distracted him from that particular anxiety, replacing it with another: namely, that his friend has been grievously injured, and struggling to speak ever since. He has, perhaps against her will, taken it as his mission to help her adjust to the new state of her throat — he likes the sound of her voice too much to let her communicate solely through glares and pushing others around when she has a perfectly good working tongue right there.

He’s sitting next to her now, staring down at the river waiting for a fish to dart by. ”Tell me about your day,” he hisses with a quick glance their way. ”How are Hazecloud and the kits? Not too difficult to herd away from trouble without the ability to yell?”

——————————————————————————————————— so god damn lonely

• @lichentail
  • 2h3Dnip.png

Snakeblink • he / him. 50 ☾, riverclan warrior
    — a sleek, skinny tabby with long ears and a scar over his right eye.
    — gay, not actually evil, penned by @Kangoo

1000004009-png.1568

✦ ˚  ✧ ˚ .˚ ✦  ✦
  • The stream ripples in its silent monotony and for that, they have reason to be thankful. Spring's return means the return of relief, of security and stares... after the miserable leaf-bare and leaf-fall leading up to it, they are in sore need of a break. He is lucky his awkward nature has grown to become a cold comfort rather than the stinging nettles of one that needs to be plucked and removed painfully from her fur (she suspects part of this comes from the willingness in which he allows her to snuggle close at night for warmth but she won't say it out loud). Snakeblink can be considered a point of rejuvenation when his tongue does not tie itself into knots that strangle his relationships first and foremost.

His inquiry is harmless and luckily, a topic of conversation she rarely tires of. As much as she'd admitted to Brookstorm her shame in being an ill-timed mother, she couldn't say she regretted being one at all. Her babies, so precious and small, were a flickering flame at the end of a dark, harrowing tunnel that kept her paws from straying on their course to reunite with those warm embers. Her eyes squint at their corners, watching for the shadows that flicker under the water's surface. "They are... good kids," she answers in a voice hardly above a whisper, as if testing it before wading deeper.

"I don't know how... she does it," the fog-dipped molly admits, shaking her head slightly. "They are... too smart... for their own good. And mine." A paw strikes forward, splashing at an awkward shine before coming up empty-pawed- it must've been the sun shining awkwardly on a particularly smooth stone.

"I've been... good. Finally starting to relax. Are you... okay too?"

The topic of Smokestar comes to mind but... she is unwilling to let her tongue slide so freely when it concerns his privacy and secrets.
  • about
    speech hex code ✧ #6368A5
    ooc notes ✦
    tagging ✶
    penned by tieirlys
  • ˚  ★⋆. ࿐࿔  ✦   .  .   ˚ .      . ✦     ˚     .
       .     ˚     *     ✦   .  .   ✦ ˚      ˚ .˚    ✦   .  .   ˚ .   ✦   .  .   ˚       ੈ✧˳·˖✶ ✦  ˚    ✦   .  .   ˚ ★⋆. ࿐࿔
       .     ˚     *     ✦   .  .   ✦ ˚      ˚ .˚    ✦   .  .   ˚ .             ✦  

The sun may shine brighter in this season, but it pales in comparison to the warmth that spreads in Snakeblink’s chest as he listens to Lichentail speak of their kits. He hums along to her faint words, eyes crinkling in a fond expression — a more understated smile than the expression he would affect for the sake of others, and more natural-looking as a result; a far cry from the awkward grimace that would usually distort his lips.

”They do seem very clever, from what little of them I’ve seen,” he agrees. Hazecloud is not his biggest fan, not at all, so any interactions he’s had with her brood have been few and far in between. ”I daresay they get it from you, so she must have quite the experience dealing with it already.”

As for himself… He watches as small shellfish swims by, small as his claw and translucent-grey. ”I have been alright. Enjoying the warmer temperatures.” He wiggles his shoulders, kind of gesturing at his own short pelt that suffers so much from the cold. ”A little under-the-weather at times – I must have gotten it from Petalnose – and Turtlepaw is running me off my paws, but— I am of the same mind, when it comes to relaxing at last. Things have felt so strange since— the rogues, and Cicadastar. But it feels like the waters are clearing at last, does it not?”

• 2h3Dnip.png

Snakeblink • he / him. 50 ☾, riverclan warrior

Last edited:

1000004009-png.1568

✦ ˚  ✧ ˚ .˚ ✦  ✦
  • She sizes him up carefully from the corner of her eyes, an amused but narrow squint offered at his suggestion the kitten's brains must come from their stripe-patterned mother rather than their milkmaid. Hazecloud is not what she'd call dumb... but she certainly has a wit that doesn't come from wisdom. "Don't let her hear you... say that," she teases in soft warning- there was little she could do to convince the fiery plume of ash not to smack the brown tabby just for looking at her the wrong way most days.

At the very least she didn't chew off Lichentail's other ear for being proper friends with Snakeblink (though that had been a hard earned title... and she'd never probably admit that he of all cats was the first one she'd told they were having a family).

He looks far more relaxed now than he had in recent moons... and his ribs do not show quite so easily along his lithe frame as they once did. It's a relief, one she takes selfish pride in. No one had starved... and she didn't have any blood on her paws this winter despite adding more mouths to feed. His complaints are so easy, the mention of Cicadastar feels almost alarming in comparison.

She swallows past the nervous lump in her throat- "It does..."

"I'll probably keel over... if anything else happens." And she isn't sure she's lying. There's so much stress in her bones, she's certain it ages her... and the white spotting along her muzzle seems to grow more and more intense every passing week.
  • about
    ooc notes ✦
    tagging ✶
    penned by tieirlys
       .     ˚     *     ✦   .  .   ✦ ˚      ˚ .˚    ✦   .  .   ˚ .   ✦   .  .   ˚       ੈ✧˳·˖✶ ✦  ˚    ✦   .  .   ˚ ★⋆. ࿐࿔

”I do not think there is anything I could say to Hazecloud that would sour her opinion of me further,” Snakeblink hums back, only half-joking. ”But I shall take your advice to heart. Should I compliment her instead? You know how good I am at compliments.”

Though his voice is flat, almost proud, as if fully serious, but the squinty-eyed look he gives Lichentail makes the jest obvious. They both remember the early days of their relationship; even if these memories were to escape her, Snakeblink has no doubt they are just as haunted by the infamous meaty and vigorous as he is. Oh, he misses Cindershade so dearly — but there’s relief in this cat’s company, in their unexpected and stalwart friendship, in the trust she placed in him.

”And leave us with all the work?” He quips at her comment that further stress might be the end of her. In truth, he agrees: he is desperate for the rest which Newleaf seems to bring. And he is genuine in this much: Riverclan relies so much on Lichentail, their loss would be a tragedy — one he refuses to linger on on such a nice day. ”What would we do without you, Lichentail? No, I will take you on nice leisurely swims every so often, make sure your stress remains at a manageable level, but I am afraid you must survive until the end of times. ”

• 2h3Dnip.png

Snakeblink • he / him. 51 ☾, riverclan warrior

1000004009-png.1568

✦ ˚  ✧ ˚ .˚ ✦  ✦
  • "She'll have to.. lighten up..." the molly reassures with a soft smile. Even if she didn't find Snakeblink particularly charming, he was still a clan-mate, a superior, and a friend of her mate. "If it helps... she seemed really receptive.... to 'big beautiful waterfall'... when I last tried." A humiliating admission of her own romantic failings but... maybe a help to his ego or some sort of bond they could share over lead-tongued turn of phrase.

The memory of his less than fruitful attempts at complimenting some of their associates is... certainly one to grimace at. Cindershade was definitely not the most patient... hadn't he gotten a proper smack for it? Hazecloud was just as keen to jump him.. probably only restrained by the pinch of silent request not to between her partner's brows.

His flattery is disgustingly sappy, so much in fact it may rival even the most diligent bee's honey. It's enough to give them a toothache. "Yes I would... hate to give you... more work, Snakeblink." Their tone is chiding but holds no sincere bite, mimicked in the playful narrowing of icy eyes. "Are you... sure... a swim will help?" Her shoulders shake in a quiet tell of laughter, "Not sure if... you've met Smokestar... He could... make a kit go... gray over night."

Him and a million other things could stress her half to death... that much was no surprise to anyone.
  • about
    ooc notes ✦
    tagging ✶
    penned by tieirlys

”Big beautiful wa—” Snakeblink’s sentence sputters off into laughter as he loses the battle against mirth at Lichentail’s words. He giggles openly for a moment, trying and failing to get words past his stuttering laughter. ”Oh, Lichen, we truly are a matched set, aren’t we? Our past selves would never believe us.” He sniffs daintily, getting his humor back under control, and almost forgets to blush over the nickname that slipped from his maw. It’s true, though, that they are alike in so many ways, with the one difference that Lichentail is restrained enough to keep their nose out of other’s business and much more popular among their clanmates as a result.

Clearing his throat, he goes on: ”I fear such words sound sweeter coming from a beloved mate than they would from me, but maybe I will try it one day that she is particularly cross at me—surely the bafflement would distract her long enough for me to make my escape.”

It’s a nice change of pace to engage in lighthearted teasing with someone as blunt as the deputy, and he sinks into it without hesitation. ”You know me,” he says primly, lifting his head high and nodding back and forth slightly in emphasis, ”I hate work and all manners of responsibility. You ought to remain in charge forever so as to let me sleep all day, hm?” Famous workaholic that he is, he struggles to keep his face serious for long at these words. ”If you are nice I will take you on one of my miraculous, heal-all-ills swims that will rejuvenate you right away.”

Shaking himself, he twists around to better stare at Lichentail’s face. His voice remains less-than-serious, but his eyes bore into her with intent. ”You know I would do anything to help you, in any way you may require my help. Even if I must,” and here he affects exaggerated righteousness, ”Pluck every single grey hair out of your fur so that you may remain young forever.” He snaps his jaws near her shoulder, as if to begin the make-over right now.

• 2h3Dnip.png

Snakeblink • he / him. 53 ☾, riverclan warrior