sensitive topics KEEP MY HAND IN YOURS [ discovery ]

// continuation of this thread

Batwing's paws were burning.

It had been like he had been running for a minute. The yowl that Jackdawflight had let out, the snapping and howling of the wolves upon the far smaller's heels.. there was no way he survived, just as the way that Acornwish hadn't survived. The sounds had quieted just after he had turned and pushed the apprentices back towards camp, and told them to run. Run, yes, that's all they could do, run from this problem.

Jackdawflight and himself hadn't been close, but just like Acornwish, just like Little Wolf, it all burned the same. From his toepads to his throat, the sting of tears in his eyes? It all hurt just the same. Clanmates dying unfairly was something he didn't wish upon anyone, and Batwing knew that now that the wolves had a choice of far easier game then the deer, they weren't leaving. His head snapping over his shoulder as another howl split through the forest just as the two apprentices they- they? no, just Batwing- was with made it into the ravine.

Terror gripped him, because day by day, they were growing closer. Acornwish. Jackdawflight. He bit down on his tongue, flying down the entrance into camp, his shout lifting in the air. "Howlingstar?!" This wasn't like when he came back to repeat the deer- they had just been on edge, then. No, Batwing had just ran with every other step rewarded with a glance over his shoulder. He knew a death had occurred. Starclan, why?

// @HOWLINGSTAR @tigerpaw. (feel free to be the other apprentice! just one of u guys tho)​
"speech"​

Palefire had been stretched out lazily in a warm patch of sunlight, allowing her stomach to settle a bit after her recent meal. The day was nice, that weather was finally starting to turn in their favor and it seemed like things were looking up for Thunderclan. That is, apart from the newest pests that had invaded their territory in the forms of massive deer and the wolves that hunted them. It was a constant worry in the back of her mind, especially now that she was a warrior and had a little bit more freedom to roam the forest at her leisure. She constantly felt herself looking back to make sure she wasn't being followed, pausing to look around bushes before continuing onward, always afraid that the next shadow would be the last she ever saw.

Batwing's sudden cry shook her from her rest, startling her to her paws just as the lead warrior burst into camp with two apprentices hot on his heels. The look of panic on his face had her blue eyes widening with concern, her fur standing on end at the palpable fear that entered the clearing with them. "What happened?" she questioned with great alarm, bounding up to greet the small patrol as Batwing called out for Howlingstar. Her paws stuck in place for a moment, hesitating in her grim curiosity at what could possibly have gone wrong this time. Had they found another abandoned kit on the border? Another dead body? Starclan, she hoped not. Eventually she realized that someone ought to go and fetch their leader, so she begrudgingly turned towards her den and stuttered over her shoulder, "I.. I'll go get her."

[ grabbing howlingstar <3 ]

the forced isolation was starting to feel grating, she felt like a stubborn child with how her skin itched. she yearned for the flowers blooming, the birds chirping, the beautiful colors spring brought to the forest. if leafhusk wasn’t so terrified of why she had to stay closer to camp, she’d throw a temper tantrum. newleaf reminded her of a simpler time, one of hummingbird feeders and naps under the sunlight peeking through windows.

frantic thudding of paws, and batwing’s cry brought her back to now, the colorpoint’s head looking up from where she was grooming. fear pricked her fur as she padded to join the crowd, maw parted to ask what happened, but palefire beat her to it so her jaws shut awkwardly. but the tension in the air is too much to bare, leafhusk gives in and echoed what the warrior had asked, "what’s wrong?" only with a different word, and a bit more frantically. she swallowed thickly.​

When Palefire retrieves her, Howlingstar had just been stepping out of her den. She blinks in surprise at the young warrior, startled by the urgency in her tone. Worried eyes trail over to the camp entrance where a very alarmed Batwing waits, a few apprentices behind him. The tabby leader follows Palefire back to the small but growing crowd, her ears pricking. "Batwing? What is it?" She probes, her voice light and breathy with concern. Stars, please not anything about the wolves. My heart can't take it. She sends a swift prayer to StarClan as she draws nearer and looks around, seeking out the comfort of kin or her medicine cat. But finally her eyes just rest on the lead warrior once more, her tail flicking anxiously behind her.

𓆝 . ° ✦ Large eyes open with the commotion. Shaken from her dream with a nightmare of a scream, the kit slipped into the light from her nest. The small kit padded over, noticing Howlingstar and lots of yelling. Wasn't it to early for a warrior's ceremony? Must be a specail one!
Trotting over with her tail held high, the kit smiled, blinking the stubbron sleepyness away.
"Batwing?" Is he being made deputy? Alright, I mean, I guess he has scars. Thats cool enough for deputy.

ooc// LOW muse but hi :3
 ° .  . ° 
  • ooc:
  • SOFTKIT— SHE/HER・ 3 MOONS ・ KIT & THUNDER CLAN・ PENNED BY @KEEEKEEEY!
    A long furred silver tortoiseshell-tabby with high white and green eyes. Named for her soft fur that is often wild and unkempt. Sometimes she looks like a walking fur-ball. She is often looked after by her sister, Sleekpaw. — physically easy && mentally easy — blossoming clan gossip — NPC x NPC : Sibling to Sleekpaw

His lungs burned as he settled himself, trying to find the room to speak. Cats approached with definite concern- Palefire, one of the newest warriors, looked at him with more then just a hint of worry. His head dipped towards her as she bound off to find Howlingstar. Vision shifted towards Leafhusk as she attempted to prod, but his head shook. I can't repeat it. I need... I need to say it to her first. Sorry. Batwing's jaw felt locked, as if he couldn't find the words.

He had been there for Acornwish's death, just as he was now there for Jackdawflight's. Green eyes finally shifted towards Howlingstar, and his ears flattened. Stars, I can't do this to her. I can't. A voice prickled at his fur, and he knew he had to, Softkit stepping into the picture just as he opened his muzzle to speak. Teeth grit as a wave of emotion came over him, the adrenaline making everything go a hundred miles per hour. Batwing attempted to even his tone as he spoke, "It's... stars, Howlingstar- It's Jackdawflight. He... he sacrificed himself to lead away two wolves from the patrol."

Batwing's voice cracked as he spoke, tail slowly lowering, the fear and alarm coating his heart fading to grief- a cowards lament, he felt. ".. I'm sorry. I should've been the one..." He whispered finally, eyes dropping to his paws. He couldn't look. Batwing couldn't. ​
"speech"​

• Sad
Reactions: HOWLINGSTAR
Howlingstar's ear twitches down as Softkit approaches, but her eyes remain locked onto her lead warrior. Something in his eyes, his body language...something horrible must have happened. She blinks at him, urging him to speak...and then she wishes he hadn't.

It's Jackdawflight.

There is a gentle shake of her head as she looks at Batwing, disbelief and sorrow mixing into a cruel concoction. She takes an unsteady step backwards, then another, until she has to sink down onto her haunches to keep from falling down. "No..." She croaks, green eyes glassy with tears that soon overflow and roll down her cheeks. Graystorm. Little Wolf. Berryheart. And now, Jackdawflight. Her kits, her flesh and blood, are dropping like shooting stars fall from Silverpelt. Why? Why, StarClan? Why are you taking them from me?

But as she sinks down to her belly and buries her face in her paws, she knows not even they could control this. Her son made his own choices. He was a hero who saved his clanmates, and he would be remembered as such. As his sweet, rounded face comes to mind, a sob shakes her body, loud and broken and miserable. Jackdawflight, who had been too gentle and soft to kill a mouse on his first outing out of the nursery back in the marsh. Who had taken a dive off of a towering boulder, risking her maternal wrath, just to feel some adrenaline. She's sure his brothers and older sister are excited to see him again; she's sure he's enjoying meeting his father, after all this time. But still, she is selfish. She wants him back.

• Sad
  • Crying
Reactions: batwing and Thorny
The raw urgency in Batwing’s voice frays Raccoonstripe’s nerves. He pads closer, task forgotten, his tail flicking out behind him with impatience. Leafhusk and one of the kits pads closer, followed by Palefire retrieving Howlingstar. He comes to stand beside his mother, hearing the worry weighing her voice down. “It’s… stars, Howlingstar, it’s Jackdawflight.” Raccoonstripe’s jaw clenches, his teeth clicking together hard enough to shatter. “What?” He offers Howlingstar his flank to steady her, but his own paws begin to tremble.

Batwing continues, guilt shadowing his golden eyes and cracking through his words. “He… he sacrified himself to lead away two wolves from the patrol.” Raccoonstripe shakes his head in denial, his whiskers shaking. “He—he wouldn’t, he wouldn’t—” His brother’s soft features come to mind, marred and torn by the savage teeth of a lurking beast. The brother he’d wrestled with in stagnant muddy pools in the mire, to the chagrin of an exhausted Howlingstar—the brother who’d recoiled from harming others even in battle or on the hunt—the brother who he’d always regarded as a little soft-pawed, soft-hearted—him?

Jackdawflight,” he chokes, bowing his head. He has to be strong for their mother, he has no choice, but he feels as though his heart has torn into two raw, bleeding pieces. “He… he died a hero,” he mutters, but the words sound as empty as they are. He’d give anything for Jackdawflight to have been a coward—to have lived.

• ooc:
  • 74327127_amPwOaY4eGaGkj8.png
  • Raccoon . Raccoonstripe, he/him w/ masculine terms.
    — “speech”, thoughts, attack
    — 37 moons old, ages realistically on the 5th.
    — mentored by n/a ; mentoring none ; previously mentored Wildheart, Moonwhisper
    — thunderclan lead warrior. gray wolf x howlingstar, gen 2.
    — currently mated to Nightbird.
    — penned by Marquette.

lh black tabby with white and dark brown eyes. charismatic, charming, calculating, ambitious, shallow, manipulative.

• Crying
Reactions: HOWLINGSTAR