pafp KEEP YOUR CHIN UP [✦] mossball hunting

Little Wolfs own kits are very much grown now, even Duskpaw and Skypaw had long since moved out of the nursery, though it still feels like only yesterday that she was grooming their pelts, telling them bedtime stories and entertaining them with games. Slowly, they were becoming their own cats. Independent of her. With no kits to rear and no apprentice to train, she was finding that she had more time on her hands then she knew what to do with lately. That is well, however, as green-leaf was proving to be exceptionally hot. She was content to go hunting in the mornings and in the evenings, patrol when she was ordered to, but in her downtime it was nice to find a spot of shade and escape. Today, that spot happens to be right outside of the nursery. She lounges with half-lidded eyes, tired from the heat. Kits play and for a moment she wonders where they get their energy.

To her surprise, a moss ball rolls her way, bumping into one of her shaded paws and startling her out of her dream-like state she had fallen into. When she looks up, she sees ginger fur and bright blue eyes staring back at her. Emberkit. She offers the young tom a warm smile and pushes herself to her paws, reaching out with one forearm to roll the moss ball back in his direction. "Do you want to play a game Emberkit? It's called hunt the mossball" she had played a similar game with her own kits, an introduction to hunting to prepare them for their apprenticeships in a way that would be fun and engaging for their young minds. It would be fun for her too, she thinks, and stars know she could use a little bit of entertainment right about now.

// please wait for @EMBERKIT.

☼—— some of the other kits were the first to teach emberkit how to play with a mossball—the energetic young tom can spend hours whiling away the time by chasing one around the camp, dodging warriors' legs and nodding ferns (more than once has has failed to move quick enough and run right into someone's legs. oops!) he's also accidentally batted it into more than one cat with his swinging kitten-paws, and today is no exception. the heat of the sun on his thick golden fur has done nothing to dissuade the tom today, bounding around the sandy-floored camp just outside the nursery after a fresh mossball to entertain himself while his fathers no doubt cluck and hover over poor sunshinekit, stuck inside with a cold—he feels sorry for them.

unsurprisingly, his luck eventually runs out; it rolls left instead of right, bumping into a dark-furred cat resting in a spot of shade, scrambling closer with baby blue eyes staring wide at the cat. to his relief, she merely smiles and rolls it back, where he pins it beneath one white-dipped paw, round ears twitching excitedly, "yeah! y-yeah!" he hiccups cheerfully, rolling it under a pink pawpad as he pads closer, balancing the mossball against the earth so he doesn't trip over it. his thick tail swishes excitedly as he grins unabashedly at her, mewing excitedly, "how do i play hunt the m-mossball? do i pounce on it? like this?

before the black-furred she-cat can even explain, he pushes it away less than a tail-length and jumps on it "ferociously", rolling around on the dusty earth and biting on it with milk teeth.

• ooc: sorry this is so late omg :'-)
  • 68454512_QOtD6ospJA0EWlv.png
  • ☼ emberkit — for his bright pelt & in honor of emberstar
    he/him ; amab, will come out as genderfluid ICly — thunderclan — kit — 2 ☾s
    —— emberkit is a young kit with a radiant white-splashed cream pelt and soft blue eyes. the adopted son of thunderclan's lead warrior sunfreckle and his mate rabbitnose, he is sweet, honest, and as bright as his namesake, if somewhat lacking in an attention span.
    —— smells like winter air & sweet smoke ; sounds like young bran stark ; speech in #A7CAEB, thoughts in #e98b27
    —— peaceful / healing powerplay permitted ; attacks/contact in underline ; won’t start fights ; will flee ; will show mercy ; won't kill or maim (kitten)
    —— too young for romance ; open to friendships, casual interactions, plotting ; not open to romance, battles
    penned by dejavudesklamp9 on discord for plots
  • shhh don't look here (battle info will go here at some point)

Rainbowkit is sleepy and snoozy like Little Wolf is today. They had played for a little bit, and then they had decided they would lie down for a warm nap while the sun was out. Some of the older cats would say weird stuff about the sun not going to last and the warmth disappearing... That sounded completely impossible to Rainbowkit. How could something so magical and important like the sun just disappear? What would the sky be without sun? Sure, Rainbowkit knew not to look at the sun, but he always knew it was there... even if he couldn't look at it.

No, he doeesn't really believe those cats, but just in case, Rainbowkit decides they will enjoy it, so they would have wonderful memories with the sun even if it did, somehow, disappear someday. Sleepy eyes blink in an out of existence, catching Little Wolf's black fur and green eyes every now and then, and then a lot when she wakes up; and so Rainbowkit wakes up too. Mossballs. Emberkit loved mossball. Rainbowkit loved them too but he'd already loved them a lot today. They look curiously at the dark molly. Hunt the mossball.

Emberkit is very ferocious. " You're gunna be the best hunter ever, Emberkit. " they claim, even though they don't really know how hunting works. Rainbowkit nudges his head to look at Little Wolf, still lying on their side. " S'it true that freshkill moves, Little Wolf? Do they give me hiccups? "

border2.png

• OOC:
  • rainbowkit & [ raine ] [ bow ] : sunfreckle xx rabbitnose 2nd litter. littermate to sunshinekit & emberkit. younger brother to mousepaw, sparkpaw & frecklepaw.
    —— amab. they / he ; fine with gendered terms ( tom / boy / brother / etc . . . )
    —— currently 2 moons old.

a typical size for their age. warm - faced and bright - eyed, rainbowkit sports boyish features and an easygoing smile. early signs of a thick ruff to come can be seen in plush cheeks and a thickening tail. sports long curling whickers and a dip of sun - red down the length of their neck.
  • this is for cute purposes begone.

She cannot help the chuckle that escapes her maw at the antics of Emberkit. Before she can explain how the game is played, he is settling into a kits imitation of a hunters crouch and then pouncing. She watches fondly as she bats at the thing with hind paws and bites it with his brand new kit teeth. "You have the right idea" she tells him as he plays "I will turn around, the moss ball at my back, if I turn around to look you have to stay still as possible and if I hear you coming or I see you move I'll grab the mossball and run around the camp, you'll have to chase me but if I make a full circle and come back to my spot we start over." It wasn't quite how real prey worked but for kits it didn't need to be exact and it needed to be fun to keep their attention, of course.

Rainbowkit, another of her friends litter asks her a question and her whiskers twitch with amusement. "Yes, real prey is very fast and, just like in this game, if they see or hear you the prey will run" she explains. One day, Rainbowkit would see for themselves "You only get hiccups if you eat too much too fast" she says with a small laugh. Kits always got too excited when they were eating and got hiccups, it was perhaps a right of passage. "Do you want to play with us Rainbowkit or do you want to just watch?" he or any other kit were welcome to join their little game. "The first one to get the moss ball from me wins" she says. Whether that be by sneaking up or catching her in a chase was to be determined by them.

dragonfly_pixel_by_circulatory_aj_dcl89ut-fullview.png

Dragonflyeye watched the exchange with laughing, slanted eyes. She knew what the warrior was doing, happy to watch and even contribute at times. She glanced down at the mossball in her teeth, having been helping a few apprentices with their duties as a sort of courtesy. She didn't have an apprentice yet, though she wanted one. She was a powerful warrior! She knew how to hunt, to fight, to sneak... what more could be wanted in a mentor's line of work?

Her head tilted at the last rules of the game, and a gleam in her eye brought her over to where the two kits sat watching Little Wolf. "You ought to keep your paws light, so she doesn't feel you comin'." The molly's eyes would gimmer with laughter as she whispered conspiratorially to the two eager students.
walk "talk." thought
penned by helly