KILL THE ITCH | open [HIGHROCK]

Apr 26, 2024

Wide eyes stared upwards at the towering Highrock, like a pinnacle with its end folding the skin of the sky, perhaps even piercing through the flesh of great blue. Even as there were little cloud in the sky, one could still see how the Highrock jutted from the land, extended arm to reach the horizons. (Merlinkit once reasoned that she would be able to talk to Starclan if she were allowed to stand upon the tip...) Standing at the base of the mighty monument, Merlinkit wondered what it would be like to be Howlingstar, to stand upon the lofty perch unshaken and unbroken. She's so cool... I want to be leader, someday. But I bet Howlingstar's been training since she was little. I bet she was super cool even as a little kit. I'm not any of that. The little molly could hardly imagine herself in such a position, as she was not nearly as tall and sturdy, and the winds would surely pluck her from her place like a pebbled cradled by the forces that governed it. Even at such a young age did she rationalize that she was no special cat, no chosen hero destined to sweep the Clan away from crooning perils. "Wow..." Merlinkit mewled to no cat in particular, her voice a mere voice rolling within the multitudes of the thundercloud, a cry to no such avail. I'm not allowed up there, am I? The blue tortoiseshell sepia sat down in defeat, hanging her head low - a display of reverence, or a show of her rout.

⊱⊰ The Highrock is a strange perch, that much is certain. Hopekit’s been told that no one besides the leader is allowed to go up to the top, since it’s sacred… or something along those lines. He still doesn’t quite know how the big rock could be so special, but if it’s only for Howlingstar then he has no reason to care. StarClan chose her for a reason, and he’s too little to even leave camp, so he isn’t about to try and climb up there. But Merlinkit’s staring—and then, her apparent pouting—draws his attention to the rock as well. Hopekit can’t help but trod his way over to stare up at it, too. The Highrock looks just the same as it always does, so… what’s got the tortoiseshell so upset? He doesn’t know, but maybe talking to her could help.

"It looks so high up…" he comments as he moves to stand beside the other kit, copper eyes trained on the very top edge of the Highrock. He’s a lot taller now than he had been the last time Howlingstar called a meeting from up there, but still he can’t even imagine having to climb up the whole thing. He muses aloud, "How do you think she gets up there? Howlingstar, I mean." Surely the trek to the top of the rock takes a lot of energy… but maybe StarClan gives leaders more energy than normal cats?

• ooc:
  • 81309324_2wmLWzBSS6UkcAG.png
    HOPEKIT ❯❯ he/him, thunderclan kit
    skinny, thick-furred lilac tom with deep copper eyes. soft-spoken and sleepy, but can be a bit of a grouch.
    son of batwing and leopardtongue ; brother to bravepaw, hazepaw, cardinalpaw, coalkit
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted
    penned by foxlore

〕It was strange to think that one day she would be the one on top of the Highrock. She had watched two leaders stand atop the sacred stone, and she had believed that one day she would watch her mate take his place as leader. White paws carried the queen to stand behind the pair of kits. Merlinkit was staring at the monument with awe, and Hopekit seemed curious as well. She rose her gaze to the stone, imaging herself calling a meeting one day. The thought was quickly pushed away though. If she were to stand upon the Highrock, that would mean something had happened to Howlingstar. Howlingstar was a staple of Thunderclan, just as Emberstar had been.

"She climbs. There are little ledges for paw holds." The flame hued molly responds quietly. She had never made the trip up the Highrock before, but she could assume it would be similar to how they had climbed the cliff on the Journey...just on a less dangerous scale.
u9a4dSL.png

• ooc.
  • FLAMEWHISKER —— deputy of thunderclan , mentoring none . storm x lily . littermate to nala, smokey, and nemo ✦ penned by icey !
    afab / she/her / 33 moons & ages every 20ᵗʰ
    widowed / heterosexual / closed to romance
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted / underline & tag account when attacking
    —— difficult in battle

"speech", 'thoughts', all opinions are in character
    tags — msg on discord for plots — toyhouse
  • 74170852_bklpiIOmSWVpAVE.png

a longhaired red tabby with low white and green eyes. flamewhisker's fur is a vibrant hue of red, riddled with thick classic tabby markings. her fur is medium in length, and she has a large, feathery tail. her chest, belly, tail tip, and her paws are dipped white. flamewhisker's eyes are a dark, deep shade of green. her shoulder has a large scar on it from a fight with a dog. she also has a shredded ear from a disagreement with a loner during her time alone before joining thunderclan. on particularly cold days, or sometimes before a major weather change, she will walk with a slight limp from her shoulder injury.

BUT I'M JUST SO OUT OF MY DEPTH — There was no small amount of reverence in Coalkit's bright green gaze each time he looked up at the Highrock. Whether Howlingstar was standing atop it or not, the bulky smoke found that it carried the same amount of significance regardless. It was where their leader stood, and where she could make declarations and perform ceremonies that would change all of their lives for the foreseeable future. The thought of not treating it with the proper respect was tantamount to a crime in his opinion.

Though really, many things were seemingly comparable to a crime in his eyes.

A wary look sat on the young tom's face as he watched Merlinkit from afar, worried that his denmate was about to throw caution to the wind and try to toss herself up at it. No small amount of relief flooded his body when that proved not to be the case, his dark paws carrying him over not long after Hopekit. Coalkit wasted no time in gluing himself to his brother's side, more than happy to let him lead the interaction. "I wonder if she ever gets tired of it. It must be incredible, getting everyone to listen to you from up there. But with how high it is... I feel like you'd get tired out doing it all the time." He peered curiously over at Flamewhisker then, wondering how the deputy must have been feeling over their topic of conversation. Was she anxious in some way? Either for her ascension to such responsibility, or in dread of it?

• 81641257_cc6OVDHQigHNM4a.png
    shorthaired black smoke with forest green eyes
    amab; goes by he/him pronouns
    4 moons old; ages the 5th every month
    homosexual; not yet interested in romance
    son of leopardtongue and batwing
    brother to bravepaw, cougarpaw, hazepaw, foxpaw, and hopekit
    extremely difficult to befriend; cold and blunt
    "speech", thoughts, attacking
    peaceful powerplay allowed
    all opinions are ic

*+:。.。 In a flurry of fluffy paws, Bugkit makes her way over to the crowd at top-notch speed - lest she's left behind, after all! Shoving her way under her mother's tail and then burrowing deeper between her legs until she was popping out the other side under her mamma's chest, Bugkit would announce, "Surprise!" She cranes her neck to spot Flamewhisker's reaction, hoping to see a smile. To Bugkit, nothing stands more impressively taller than her mother - the high rock just couldn't compare! But shifting her gaze to the sacred monument, she considers her connection to it. Her pappa used to be deputy, just like how her mamma is, now! Perhaps one day, she'll follow in both their footsteps and become deputy herself one day. The thought makes her giggle.
"If we asked nicely, do you think Howlingstar would let us climb it?[color]" Bugkit asks, looking back up at her mamma with wide yellow eyes.

• GENERAL:
    Bugkit
    DFAB— She/Her
    5 moons — Ages 1 moon every month real-time
    Daughter to Flamewhisker and Flycatcher
    Sibling to Falconheart, Stormfeather, Lilykit, Butterflykit, Scorchedkit, Squirrelkit, Sunkit
    Thunderclan — Kit

COMBAT:
    Physically easy | mentally easy
    Attack in bold pink
    injuries: None currently

Roaringpaw had been pacing around camp, stretching his limbs and letting the blood run through his veins, when many kittens gathered around the Highrock to simply look at it. It was impressive, that it managed to stand strong and never topple over — was it a testament to the Clan leader itself, a symbol?

His tail dragged behind him as he approached the small group overseen by Flamewhisker, the one who would eventually take Howlingstar's place upon the stone. “I don't think so, Bugkit.” He mews gently at the Deputy's daughter, “But if you get to be leader one say, you'll get to climb it all you want.” The apprentice adds with a smile, hoping the kitten wouldn't be super let down by being unable to climb it now; although he wonders if she would be reprimanded if Bugkit decided to climb anyway (she was just a kit).

Amber eyes staring at the imposing rock formation, Roaringpaw sees himself standing atop it, addressing ThunderClan as their leader Roaringstar, deputy beside him and all. . . He didn't know who he would name as his second-in-command though... and would StarClan accept him? Could he lead if they didn't? “If you were made Leader today, who would you choose as Deputy?” While he speaks with his gaze focused on Flamewhisker, the kits were welcome (and likely) to join in.

"How do you think she gets up there? Merlinkit almost leapt from her place as Hopekit approached her, though the question did make the young molly wonder, as the thought folded and swayed in her mind as a pendent. Maybe she just jumps up. Grown-ups can probably do that. No, wait, that sounds really stupid. Flamewhisker had a much more practical answer in mind, that there were tiny footholds for the leader to clutch onto. "Mhm. I think, uh, I'd be kind of tired, too. But I think she's used to it..." Merlinkit's tail flicked as she responded to Coalkit, expectant eyes as glassy as shaken marbles, half-wondering if Howlingstar would pop out of her den at any moment. Did Howlingstar ever get tired of leading her clan? Merlinkit had heard that the older tabby was very old, much older than her parents. Had she been there when the world had begun? Or before that, even? The boisterous Bugkit trotted right after her mother, inquiring if the kittens would be able to climb the Highrock if they simply asked nicely enough. Maybe. But I don't think that's how that works. "Oh! Um... If I were l-leader... I would make my parents the, um, deputy. Because they probably know more than me." The blue tortoiseshell sepia chirped, sprightly intonation like a delicate flower cradled by a crevice, a brief respite from the worries that racked the poor little kitten most times. Merlinstar... What a strange name. Certainly not as imposing or as powerful as a name like Howlingstar or Flamewhisker.

As the kittens discussed whether they could climb the great Highrock, Wolfkit moved closer toward the great stone, wonder and determination shining in their freshly orange eyes. The sepia, usually polite and seeking permission for their games, could not help the impulsive urge that overcame them after hearing others speak of the landmark. It was a place for leaders, but for the Nursery-dweller, it was first a challenge set by their denmates. Creamy paws guided Wolfkit into a hasty crouch before, and with one almighty wiggle, they were off running towards the Highrock. They hopped onto one ledge, hindpaws scrabbling beneath them until they could balance upon it. Then, they leaped to another and another and another, until they had reached a stalemate. The next jump was too high, then, the ground seemed too low as they looked down. Flank pressed against the upper-mid point of the Highrock, Wolfkit let out a breath, nervousness, and excitement leaving it shaky at its precipice. Their friends looked tiny, even from a comparatively small distance, but that couldn't stop the grin that settled upon the kitten's muzzle. "Easy peasy!" They declared, speaking twice before their voice carried enough for someone else to hear it.

They shuffled in place, wobbling for a second before finding their footing once more on a near-improbably surface. Wolfkit... did not know how they would get down, but that was a problem for another day. Begrudgingly, they thought a parent might help them, something the independent little kitten had no interest in on most days - it was the only way in their head they could perceive being free from the challenge of gravity, though. "I would make Merlinkit Deputy!" They called to Roaringpaw. "Because she is always my Deputy when we play WolfClan and she is the best at it."

〕She watched as Coalkit joined the group, sitting beside his brother. He wondered if their leader ever got tired of making the climb up the Highrock. At first, the question was swiftly dismissed. Of course she doesn't, she is one of the strongest Thunderclanners I know. But the longer the question replayed itself in her mind, the more she found herself wondering the same. It was no secret that Howlingstar was older than a good majority of their warriors...the climb probably was at least a little more difficult now. As for the true height of the stone, of course she had imagined herself up there one day...but she hadn't taken into the consideration about how tall it was. At least it isn't as tall as a tree...maybe a couple branches off the ground. And you are a lot less likely to fall off! She and heights hadn't exactly had a great past. The deputy opened her mouth to respond to his questions, but she was interrupted by something (or rather someone) going underneath her tail. She whipped her head around to see who it was, but they were gone before she would see them.

Surprise!

Her head turns again, this time to underneath her front paws. She couldn't contain the smile that formed when she looked down to see her daughter who was looking up at her with big green eyes. "Hello my little bug." she purrs, leaning down to touch her nose to her kit's forehead. Bugkit's question causes her to blink in surprise, but Roaringpaw is quick to shut the idea down. She nods in agreement to the apprentice, hoping that his words sank in, and later this afternoon she wouldn't find her kit asking the leader permission to climb the stone. "Only the leader is allowed on the Highrock." Extreme emergencies would perhaps warrant permission, but she didn't want to get into technicalities.

"If you were made Leader today, who would you choose as Deputy?" The deputy turns her gaze to Roaringpaw, whose gaze rested upon her. Merlinkit claimed to name her parents as her deputy, and Wolfkit would name Merlinkit as theirs. That didn't surprise her, she had watched the kits play Clan many times. "There are many great warriors that would make wonderful deputies." was all she would say. Truthfully, she hadn't thought much about who she would pick in the event that she became leader. She hadn't gotten to spend much time in the role of deputy before moving into the nursery...and while raising four kits, her responsibilities hadn't been the only thing on her mind.

u9a4dSL.png

• ooc.
  • FLAMEWHISKER —— deputy of thunderclan , mentoring none . storm x lily . littermate to nala, smokey, and nemo ✦ penned by icey !
    afab / she/her / 33 moons & ages every 20ᵗʰ
    widowed / heterosexual / closed to romance
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted / underline & tag account when attacking
    —— difficult in battle

"speech", 'thoughts', all opinions are in character
    tags — msg on discord for plots — toyhouse

• 74170852_bklpiIOmSWVpAVE.png

• a longhaired red tabby with low white and green eyes. flamewhisker's fur is a vibrant hue of red, riddled with thick classic tabby markings. her fur is medium in length, and she has a large, feathery tail. her chest, belly, tail tip, and her paws are dipped white. flamewhisker's eyes are a dark, deep shade of green. her shoulder has a large scar on it from a fight with a dog. she also has a shredded ear from a disagreement with a loner during her time alone before joining thunderclan. on particularly cold days, or sometimes before a major weather change, she will walk with a slight limp from her shoulder injury.

❝ it's gonna hurt for a bit of time ❞

Lightflower listened passively to the group chattering about highrock. The young molly didn't bother to fight the smile that spread across her face at Bugkit's excitement. That girl just didn't quit. She took a moment to gaze upon highrock herself, imagining for a moment what it might be like to stand up there and command an audience. The thought put her off, she was never too keen on being the leader of anything. And she wanted nothing to do with the responsibility of decision making for the whole clan. She would be perfectly happy someday with her own little family whenever the time came.

She stood to approach, giving Flamewhisker a respectful nod. "Well, certainly not me. I'm not cut out for that kind of thing," she purred lightheartedly. "Plus, I'd probably fall right off the Highrock!"
✿✿✿

Hazel eyes sleepily blinks opens, with feathered ears swiveling to the commotion of voices nearby. Kits… Deerpaw was curled up in the shade, like a messy-furred ball of black and orange. He slowly unravels himself as he lifts his head up slightly, letting his eyes slide at the group if kits. Yapping about… Highrock? He cocks his head to the head, in confusion as he listens to the kits talk about something or other. It grabs his attention.

The longhaired apprentice drags himself onto his paws, stretching his figure out with a yawn. He shakes out his coat, before slowly making his way to the group with perked ears while having his tail drag behind him. He approached the group, spotting Flamewhisker overseeing the kits and also Roaringpaw. He greets the queen with a dip of his head, before sliding his gaze at the kits. Highrock? He sits on his hunches as he mulls over the questions, the yappy kits asked.

The Highrock is big, very high. He lifts his head to look at the rock in question, staring at it for a moment. "H-howlingstar probably d-does get t-tired of it..." He shuffles his paws as he answers Coalkit, while he puts in his own input. He scrunches his nose, as he thought of himself as leader. Deerstar. No, he doesn't like the sound of that. Would Starclan even accept him, probably not. Now, that he's looking at the rock it seems quite difficult to scale upwards all the time... The tom lets his head, fall to look at the ground letting his paws dig into the ground slightly. "I wo-wouldn't be a-able to handle being l-leader… Seems t-too troubling." He mumbles out. If he was leader, he wouldn't keep it together. He'd be too busy panicking, trying to figure out what to do.
EpC61GT.png

•  
  • no ref yet
  • ( i can't handle it… ) ˚₊‧꒰ა ♰ ໒꒱ ‧₊˚ DEERPAW. ╱ thunderclan apprentice
    amab ; HE / HIM ; 7 MOONS & AGES EVERY 26TH.
    undecided / not looking / open to puppy-crushes
    a scrawny longhaired black/dark ginger tortie and white tom with hazel eyes.
    thoughts ; "Speech, ff7844" ; attacks only
    may powerplay minor harm ╱ peaceful and healing powerplay permitted
    smells like fresh caramelized apples & faint damp earth musk
    — all opinions are ic

biography / @ on discord for plots
    — penned by calzone