private LAY A STRONG ENOUGH FOUNDATION ✧ . falconpaw

With each passing day, the temperature grows warmer and Greeneyes’ time as Falconpaw’s mentor grows shorter. Soon his first apprentice will be taking his assessment, and, if all goes well, will become a warrior. He can hardly believe the small kit he’d been tasked with teaching is now the tom that walks beside him — strong and caring and braver than he might ever be. Falconpaw is a good kid, a fighter, and will grow to be a great warrior: Greeneyes has thought this for some time now.

Sun-high is hardly on the horizon when Greeneyes and his apprentice head out, a walk made in comfortable silence at first. The lead warrior’s shoulder still carries a dulling bruise to it from Falconpaw and Cherrypaw’s spar gone awry, a moment of overt aggression he still questions but he doesn’t speak of. If his apprentice wants to then they will, but he doesn’t pry.

I’m giving you the day off today, amigo, “ the ginger tom says somewhere along the way, “ Well… Sort of. You’re still stuck with me for a bit. You can still hunt, if you want, but no pressure. I thought we could go on a walk —

Stars know how many days he has left with his shadow. Had Sheepcurl thought the same? Had she held this same bittersweet feeling in her chest? Her cariño grew up, and his amigo grew up too.

So, how are you feeling? “ Greeneyes asks, a tilt of the head following. He misses moments like this with his own mentor. He wishes he hadn’t taken them for granted. “ … About everything? “ His assessment, the spar, anything else the pointed tom wanted to tell him about. So long as Falconpaw wanted to share, Greeneyes would listen.​
EpC61GT.png
  • // @falconpaw!
  • 74596946_rY2pLJ2YZGmQ0CI.png
    GREENKITGREENPAWGREENEYES
    ── Lead Warrior of SkyClan

── Daisyflight x Raven Ramble
    ── AMAB; He/Him
    ── A red tabby and white tom with bright green eyes.
    ── Mentored by Sheepcurl; Currently mentoring Falconpaw
    ── "Speech"; Attack

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ- Ears twitched as Falconpaw left camp, senses already pushed to a slightly-higher alert then he did while in camp. Falconpaw had learned to be wary at all times. The rogues, the yellowcough- they were fresh in his mind yet. A near-death experience never quiet left you, and stacked on top of that was the attack on the camp. A soft breath left the apprentice as his head turned, vision settling towards Greeneyes when he begins speaking.

His mentor had been the one constant since he had arrived in camp, beyond those that grew up alongside him. His stomach tumbled at the thought of Lupinepaw, his.. what were they, really, besides closer then friends and not 'in love'? Cherrypaw was still convinced that he still smelled of the sewers, he was pretty sure. He didn't care to keep listing them in his head when the cat he trusted the most stood beside him. Greeneyes had been that constant, always around him and aware of what he was doing. For the most part, anywho.

"The day off?" He seemed a hint surprised- they weren't going to train? His assessment was surely right around the corner- another thing that made his stomach do flips- but he had to push that off. "A walk is okay with me." Falconpaw forced his fur to lay flat. This wasn't super unusual, as he had breaks from time to time. It was just the timing that had thrown him off.

"About everything? Well..." His ears twitched, vision sweeping the pines as he walked, his tail gently swaying behind him as he thoughts. "The assessment is.. a bit nerve-wracking. I don't want to fail, but I also want to make sure I'm showing off everything that you taught me. That's a hard balance." A sharp breath inhaled- and Greeneyes's searching gaze prompted him to continue, slowly pushing a paw against the ground. "Cherrypaw is.. a thorn in my side." He admitted quietly, though anyone that had seen him around her lately knew that well.
  • "speech"
  • FALCONPAW 🌧 he/him, apprentice of skyclan, eleven moons.
    LH chocolate lynx point with deep blue eyes, and a long scar on his left cheek down under his jawline. pushes his 'hair' back. very long legged, half oriental moggie.
    mentored by greeneyes / / mentoring no one
    padding after lupinepaw / / brother to spottedpaw and sagepaw
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted / / underline and tag when attacking
    penned by dallas ↛ dallasofnines on discord, feel free to dm for plots.

There’s a hint of a smile at Falconpaw’s surprise. “ Unless you want to train, “ Greeneyes tells him with a hum, “ But you’ve been working hard. You deserve to take a break — let yourself breathe, Falconpaw.

Despite his agreement in taking a walk, the lead warrior figures his apprentice would rather train. But wearing himself out right before his assessment wasn’t going to do him any good in the long run, was it? Greeneyes knows how stressful such a milestone can be, knows how stressful the days leading up to his own were. His final days as an apprentice were different to Falconpaw’s, but if he could’ve had a moment to breathe back then, he would’ve taken it.

And with the admission of nerves from the chocolate point as they two of them weave through the pine forest, he’s glad he’s given Falconpaw a chance to. Greeneyes listens to the tom as he speaks, eyes searching the pines ahead of them every so often. But when the apprentice stalls, when a breath catches his ears in a way that sounds like the boy wants to say more, he looks to him with a questioning gaze encouraging him to go on. Cherrypaw is… a thorn in my side.

She has been for some time, hasn’t she? “ the flame-furred tom asks. Even before the two’s sparring session — long before it, really — Falconpaw and Cherrypaw have been a bit… off with one another. He doesn’t pry further than that, for it's only his business to know if Falconpaw wants him to.

You did well in your spar against her. That last move would’ve knocked her over, you know, if I hadn’t — “ He idly stretches his bruised shoulder, searching the trees once more. “ — But you understand that I had to, right? Stop you two? She… Going for the throat like that in a training session is a nasty move. Had you two gone any further, it wouldn’t have been a training session anymore.

Though Slate hadn’t seen it the same, though Slate praised Cherrypaw in ways he hadn’t been able toward Falconpaw. It would’ve been an all-out battle, one not meant for two apprentices of the same clan to be on the opposing sides of. Briefly, his mind drifts to snow-covered borders turned scarlet, a friend mourned and his brother hiding in the camp’s outskirts.

A couple paces are taken before he speaks again. “ It’s normal — to be nervous, amigo. I was nervous too. I thought for sure I’d fail. “ After all, he could hardly climb a tree and he hadn’t made his first catch until late into the season prior to his assessment. He turns to look at the pointed tom. “ But, I’d be more surprised if you failed than if you passed. You’re going to make a great warrior, Falconpaw, and you’ll have plenty of time to share all you’ve learned then. For now, just focus on the most important things. “ ​
EpC61GT.png
    GREENKITGREENPAWGREENEYES
    ── Lead Warrior of SkyClan

── Daisyflight x Raven Ramble
    ── AMAB; He/Him
    ── A red tabby and white tom with bright green eyes.
    ── Mentored by Sheepcurl; Currently mentoring Falconpaw
    ── "Speech"; Attack

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ- His head shakes, a tiny laugh leaving him- no, the super serious apprentice didn't need to train today. After all, his mentor was thoroughly correct. A break would be nice, everything considered. The rainstorm the other day... He shook off the thought as he follows his mentor, speaking softly upon the spar. Wisened paws move through underbrush, barely thinking about it. It was a soft show of skill in how he had adjusted to moving his body with the forest.

Ears twitched as Greeneyes looked at him, and he nodded in response to his prompted. "Since we were young. She still insists I smell of the sewers." He responded, ears lowering gently. Falconpaw swore the sewers smelled fine- but being born there was a totally different ballgame, anyways. Greeneyes prompts with some praise, and blue eyes flashed towards him, gently nodding his head.

Sharp vision drifts to the mentioned shoulder, worry brushing through his features briefly. "... I understand. I wasn't... upset at you, in any capacity." Falconpaw responded, shifting his paws a hint uncomfortably before continuing on the walk, shoulder in shoulder with his mentor. "I reacted without thinking after she attacked my throat... rage, I think." He mumbled the last three words, idly pushing a leaf out of the way as he walked.

He offered a smile towards his mentor as he is praised yet again- something that puts tiny pin prickles in a nice way over his sides. His head dipped, brief embarressment coating his insides before he took the compliment for what it was."I think I can do that. I wonder if.." He paused, opening his mouth in hesitation, before shaking his head. "... This is going to sound stupid. Silly, even- have you ever loved someone who didn't love you back?"

Of course, Falconpaw wasn't even totally sure if that was what was going on- surely, Lupinepaw loved him, right? His ears lowered at the thought.
  • "speech"
  • FALCONPAW 🌧 he/him, apprentice of skyclan, eleven moons.
    LH chocolate lynx point with deep blue eyes, and a long scar on his left cheek down under his jawline. pushes his 'hair' back. very long legged, half oriental moggie.
    mentored by greeneyes / / mentoring no one
    padding after lupinepaw / / brother to spottedpaw and sagepaw
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted / / underline and tag when attacking
    penned by dallas ↛ dallasofnines on discord, feel free to dm for plots.

✧ . With an attempt to feign seriosity, Greeneyes blinks. “ Is that what that smell is? “ He looks to the tom beside him, gaging his reaction before a laugh follows. “ I’m kidding, I promise! You smell of pine trees, just like everyone else around here.

It’s a strong smell, the pines. Greeneyes hadn’t realized its strength until he’d been gone from it for so long, until it was rid from his fur, mixed with marsh and river, overswept by mountain frost.

She acts as if she hadn’t smelled of moors and fish for moons. You’d think she’d be more… forgiving by now. “ Though the lead teases, concern for the tom still arises. Part of him wonders if such behavior is in part her mentor’s doing. Slate’s never been too fond of outsiders, but Falconpaw is anything but at this point of his life. “ You’re a SkyClanner, through and through. Don’t let her get to you, amigo. “ His tail flicks behind him, wondering if he should have a word about this with Orangestar.

I’m not upset with you either. Bruises happen, “ he assures Falconpaw with a soft smile. “ I was just… worried. I know you’re able to hold your own now, but — things can go bad so quickly. “ Stars, he couldn’t let something bad happen. He couldn’t let one warrior walk out of this, rather than two.

The lead warrior hardly expects Falconpaw’s next question. It nearly stills his paws, confusion sparking his sight as he looks at the apprentice. Has he ever loved someone who didn’t love him back?

Has Greeneyes ever loved anyone to begin with? He isn’t so sure.

He loves his family, of course. His apprentice. His friends — Fireflypaw, Honeysplash, Sparrowsong, Drizzlepelt. Even Periwinklebreeze, all the way in the moors.

But anything more than platonic?

No, no! It’s not a silly question. It's just... Love… “ he starts slowly, trying to piece his answer together. Why is Falconpaw asking him anyway? Greeneyes thinks he’s still too young to be worrying about such, but he tries to answer for him anyway. “ Love doesn’t often find me, I don’t think. “ With how quickly Butterflytuft and Figfeather settled down, he isn’t cerain he’ll ever find someone as they had. But, he’d be lying, if he said he didn’t think about it.

Perhaps in missed opportunities, it does, “ he offers instead, paws shifting beneath him. Had things been different, had he been more aware of his feelings — of others’ too, maybe — where would he be? He might be more equipped for this question, for starters.

Why do you ask? “ Greeneyes asks before assessing their conversation, asks as if a name hasn’t led his apprentice’s troubles through out. Greeneyes blinks, his head tilting to the side once more.

It’s not my place, “ he starts. He hardly wants to deal with apprentice gossip, but soon enough SkyClan’s gaggle of eldest apprentices will be moving into the warrior den, and their rumors will fill the air there instead, whether he likes it or not. “ But, it’s not Cherrypaw, is it? “ It would make sense, he supposes, with all the trouble between them.​
EpC61GT.png
    GREENEYES AMAB. He / Him. Lead Warrior of SkyClan.
    ✧ . A red tabby and white tom with bright green eyes.
    ✧ . Daisyflight x Raven Ramble
    ✧ . Mentored by Sheepcurl ; Currently mentoring Falconpaw
    ✧ . Peaceful and healing powerplay permitted!
    ✧ . Penned by Abri@_abri_ on discord, feel free to dm for plots!
    ✧ . " Speech " ; Attack