private legion of lessons // wolfsong

In their time together, Wolfsong should know Cottonpaw, just as much as Cottonpaw believes herself to know Wolfsong. And yet upon their return home, the young she-cat has numerous questions that she cannot place with her mentor quite so easily. They've been separated in the past by virtue of parenthood and lack-thereof and she has proven in her lonesome that she is far more inept than she once believed herself to be. The basics should've come easy to a cat chosen by the Stars, and yet the Stars are banished from their skies, and she's left with only the mastery of cobwebs.

She idles in their once tidy, once kitten filled den. Whilst most everything is back in its place, Cottonpaw still strives to return it to its former sterility. She feels as if sorting is her best skill, and for a future medicine cat, potentially one day working on her own... it's a struggling realization. She almost wishes that her mentor's kittens were still about, just so that she could playfully blame them for the hectic nature of the den.

Silence is unbecoming of Cottonpaw but she dwells in it for moments too long. It gets under her skin, and so before Wolfsong can claim something of her grieving heart or addled mind, she speaks; "While we were in ShadowClan, Berryheart taught me a pawful of things," she would remember them now, right? To prove something, surely her memory would cooperate, "Starlingheart, too. She brought herbs out to those of us camping by the sycamore. I asked her if she wanted anything in return -" her tone sours, just as she thinks of how selfless the woman was, and how selfish she was weeks prior to change the lives of all of them, simply because of her own mistakes. "She declined," Cottonpaw almost finishes, clearly trailing off as if she has nothing more to say - however she jumps back on her own words, adding, "If we've anything to spare, I do want to return the favor. It feels wrong to take and not give."

──ᨒ↟↟ᨒ↟ᨒ↟↟ᨒ── There is something on Cottonpaw's mind, he knows, but he does not devote his energy to speculating what preoccupies her thoughts. Some things she will have to offer herself, without his gradual coaxing. Not for a lack of care on his part— he simply understands that even gentle urging can be experienced as pressure, and he would not force Cottonpaw to share what she is not ready to. He believed it was necessary when she was freshly grieving Weaselclaw and did not seem to allow herself to do so, but today, as they arrange herbs in silence, he feels no such compulsion.

When at last she speaks, it is of their time in ShadowClan, of Berryheart and Starlingheart. He hums thoughtfully, nudging a stem of dandelion in place with the others. ShadowClan's medicine cat is a source of conflict within his mind as well. Now that yellowcough is treated and the rogues banished, Wolfsong can dwell on what he did not have the chance to. In this case, the restriction on building a family.

"If you wish to make a gift, I will not stop you," Wolfsong says eventually, holding her gaze. "What do you think we might spare? You will not always have my judgment to rely on, and I am curious to see what you have learned." A test, of a sorts, which will be as much a measure of Cottonpaw's memory as Wolfsong's mentoring.
border2.png
little_elli.png
WOLFSONG of WINDCLAN FORMER ROGUE TURNED MEDICINE CAT. 38 MOONS, HE/HIM, NPC X NPC. MATES WITH SUNSTRIDE (07/05/2023). BIOGRAPHY, PINTEREST, & PLAYLIST.
  • ★★★☆☆ WOUNDS: You're (mostly) in safe paws. You'll know if he's less experienced if he asks for your permission to try a treatment. No wound can scare him away from knowledge.
    ★★★☆☆ INFECTION: He can prevent most infections. If you feel feverish, let him know; he'll hum thoughtfully over herbs and sniff your wound before saying, "With your blessing..."
  • ★☆☆☆☆ ACHES & PAINS: If you complain to him of pain, he'll ask where. If it's a headache, you'll likely feel a bit better. For anything else, "Try this, if you'd like, and tell me how you feel."
    ★☆☆☆☆ BROKEN BONES: At best. he can ask you to remain lying down in the den. He may try to distract you with conversation while he considers what herb to feed you.
  • ★★★★★ TRAVELING HERBS: Going somewhere? No worries; Wolfsong knows just what you need to stay hale and healthy during your journey. The rest is up to you.
    ★★☆☆☆ KITTING: Thanks to Starlingheart, he's better prepared for the arrival of kits, but any complications will need a little faith and a lot of luck.
  • ★☆☆☆☆ POISONS: It's best if you avoid eating anything unfamiliar to you— it's probably just as unfamiliar to Wolfsong. The best he can do is offer you yarrow and sit with you.
    ★★☆☆☆ ILLNESS: If it's white or greencough, you'll likely recover. Otherwise, prepare for odd concoctions and the usual request that you consent to a little trial-and-error.