LET ME SHOW YOU POWER / lichenstar

They've found a slightly secluded corner, masked by the chattering of their Clanmates but still within view to quell any suspicious glances that two leaders disappearing might prompt. Their Clans seem to be mingling well enough for now but Orangestar can't help but keep one ear pricked for any arguments that may form in her periphery. Some of her more strong-willed warriors had attended the Gathering, even though they'd caused little trouble, and Orangestar wants to ensure they don't cause any more here.

"Is your prey running well enough despite WindClan's trespassing?" Orangestar ventures after a few moments, turning her eyes to the she-cat at her side. It's a safe question, neutral, a gentle prodding to see if Lichenstar would open up first. Orangestar hadn't spoken at all at the Gathering aside from greetings and to dismiss her own Clan, so it's not as if the RiverClan leader has much to ask of her just yet. Orangestar's tail curls around her paws, recalling a long-ago conversation, an association that Orangestar had almost forgotten. "And is Hazecloud well?"

• // @lichenstar
  • 68451166_mY2BOSe6hTLMAcu.png

[ art by pin ]
  • ORANGESTAR ✧ she/her, leader of skyclan | eight lives

— "a scarred white-and-ginger she-cat with brown eyes."
    — single ; mentoring springpaw & ashpaw
    — speech is in #F18C47
    tags | penned by mercibun, contact on discord for plots.

lichenstar-6-24-hs-png.1872

✦˚.✦˚✦˚✦˚ ✧ ˚✦˚✦˚✦.˚✦
  • Unlike the other borders, this one does not feel as if it is teeming with electric violence... it does not itch at her claws or beg for barbs to line her tongue. She is certain her warriors find enemies in every face that look at them for too long... that many of them, like her, remember Silversmoke's less than subtle hissing to Blazestar that RiverClan's presence on their land was a burden. She wonders, briefly, if Orangestar would've agreed to that sentiment, had she been home, not wandering the wilds in search of some heaven-promised cure.

Though she casts the cohort of water-decorated warriors a small glance of reassurance, Lichenstar doesn't really fear for any of them. It had been the SkyClan leader's suggestion anyways, to share news at the border in their own impromptu meeting... It would certainly be a great ploy to use it as bait for an ambush. Tattered ears swivel towards cream and dandelion dust, followed by an amused glance quickly. "We remain... well fed," a broken tail curls itself awkawrdly around her paws, "Their attempts remain... largely unsuccessful." If they had any semblance of rational thought, they'd think twice to try again after a proclaimed two deaths.

The looks of her neighbor's clanmates suggest they too, do not fear of hunger recently.

Shock colors the narrowing of pupils at the mention of her partner's name, blinking widened eyes as the fur between her shoulders ruffles embarrassingly. "Hazecloud," she echoes, as if caught by their parents sneaking out to giggle late at night in the meadows, "She's doing well..... Our children... are due to be... apprentices soon." A thing that both excites her and terrifies her in equal measure. "I'm sure she's... tired of the nursery."

The corners of her eyes crinkle in a small smile, "Are yours well...? They're quite... grown... aren't they now?"
  • about

speech hex code ✧ #6368A5

ooc notes ✦
    tagging ✶
    penned by tieirlys
  • ˚  ★⋆. ࿐࿔  ✦   .  .   ˚ .      . ✦     ˚     .

.     ˚     *     ✦   .  .   ✦ ˚      ˚ .˚    ✦   .  .   ˚ .   ✦   .  .   ˚       ੈ✧˳·˖✶ ✦  ˚    ✦   .  .   ˚ ★⋆. ࿐࿔

.     ˚     *     ✦   .  .   ✦ ˚      ˚ .˚    ✦   .  .   ˚ .             ✦  

Orangestar nods, content with Lichenstar's admission. In fact, she's almost pleased by it: if RiverClan was well-fed, then they wouldn't go trespassing closer to Twolegplace. The leader beside her stiffens with surprise at her question, prompting a curious glance from Orangestar; but she nods again, slower this time, as the river-queen elaborates on her mate's wellbeing. Long whiskers twitch with a dry amusement.

"It was hard enough to be nursery-bound for four moons. I can't imagine six." A faint note of sympathy softens Orangestar's meow, attention briefly upon the past; it lingers upon Hazecloud's incredulity at Orangestar's five-kit litter upon the Journey. She doesn't remember at all how many kits the river-queen had borne, but privately wonders if her paws are as full as Orangestar's own had been. At least her own kits had been apprentices by this age, though it's difficult to imagine Cherrypaw attending their Journey as a fresh apprentice at the same age now ... Hmm. Brown eyes flick skyward, though not in prayer for once. It's been a full turn of the seasons, even more, since her kits had been born.

"They're ... fifteen, now. I look at them and still see them as kits, but they're warriors in their own right. Owlheart is considering taking a pair of mates-" Orangestar angles her ear briefly towards her youngest daughter, and then towards her eldest in turn- "and Cherryblossom serves as my deputy."

Speaking of ... "I met Foxtail the other day. He said he's standing in as your deputy. I don't recall you announcing who he was standing in for?"

•  
  • 68451166_mY2BOSe6hTLMAcu.png

[ art by pin ]
  • ORANGESTAR ✧ she/her, leader of skyclan | eight lives

— "a scarred white-and-ginger she-cat with brown eyes."
    — single ; mentoring springpaw & ashpaw
    — speech is in #F18C47
    tags | penned by mercibun, contact on discord for plots.

lichenstar-6-24-hs-png.1872

✦˚.✦˚✦˚✦˚ ✧ ˚✦˚✦˚✦.˚✦
  • Six moons spent in the nursery had not been news happily received, Smokestar had been quite smug to proclaim it to Hazecloud, the sole resident of the nursery at the time as if he had intentionally imprisoned her there to spite the both of them for having a litter in the heart of winter's chill. Lichenstar had been silently relieved, knowing that it doubled the amount of time her children would have to grow before being thrust into the heartless wilds of their home and paraded in front of blood-thirsty neighbors. They'd been safe for so long... "She couldn't either," the pointed she-cat responds with a soft laugh.

Her mate had been completely at odds with Smokestar for such a betrayal... she'd expected to be back to work by new-leaf and instead, was not due to return to patrols until well into green-leaf.

Orangestar picks some of her litter from the crowd of SkyClanners that have accompanied her, speaking with a softness Lichenstar does not imagine she shares often- it's a motherly gentleness, a roundness to eyes squinted with affection from a distance. They'd probably never understand that feeling, at least not for many more moons... the tenderness reserved for quiet moments. "A pair," she purrs, admiring the sunshine molly, "How lucky..." and she can't help but think of her own shades of sunrise and misty mornings. She could understand it... wouldn't mind being so fortunate one day.

Maybe that was selfish though... or maybe it wasn't. Better to leave two mates behind that could rely on one another than to abandon your heart's desire to be alone. "I recall her.... loud voice," she muses, eyes flitting to the SkyClan deputy with an amusement rumbling in her chest. "You must be... very proud." It is a gift in itself her litter had survived this long... and jealousy is a cruel set of claws dug into her back to remember Snowflakekit's touch amongst star-woven fields.

The mention of Foxtail summons her more serious nature, turning to make eye-contact as the subject shifts into something more business-like. Deputy... that was always the question... and she knows herself slow to rouse in that regard. "He's my newest... lead warrior," she explains at first, hoping to contextualize his sudden appearance underneath the leaders where it had never strayed so close before. "He simply... filled a role..."

Smokestar had done the same... had asked Snakeblink or Petalnose or herself to stand-in as deputy until he finally saw fit to choose. Part of her wonders if he'd been asked this question too, and how many times... "I have... no deputy."
  • about

speech hex code ✧ #6368A5

ooc notes ✦
    tagging ✶
    penned by tieirlys
  • ˚  ★⋆. ࿐࿔  ✦   .  .   ˚ .      . ✦     ˚     .

.     ˚     *     ✦   .  .   ✦ ˚      ˚ .˚    ✦   .  .   ˚ .   ✦   .  .   ˚       ੈ✧˳·˖✶ ✦  ˚    ✦   .  .   ˚ ★⋆. ࿐࿔

.     ˚     *     ✦   .  .   ✦ ˚      ˚ .˚    ✦   .  .   ˚ .             ✦