lifes too short [scorchedpaw]

johnny.png
HE SAID, "WELL MY NAME'S JOHNNY, AND IT MIGHT BE A SIN
BUT I'LL TAKE YOUR BET, AND YOU'RE GONNA REGRET, CUZ IM THE BEST THERE'S EVER BEEN."​

The meeting had left Johnny with mixed feelings.

He was drowning in pride between being given an apprentice and being asked to join Blazestars lead warriors, but at the same time he was aware of the fact that not everyone was happy with their leaders decision. He understood to a degree of course; he was still a fresh face in the clan, had twolegs back home, and even in his own eyes still had a lot to prove, but that didn't make him want the position any less, only set his determination aflame.

For right now though, he decided to push it from his head. He didn't want to spoil his first outing with Scorchpaw by being in his own head, and so he promptly banished the thoughts from his head as he lead the younger cat over toward the camp exit in order to escape some of the chaos of camp.

"Okay! Why don't we start by having you tell me what Laikafurs alredy taught ya?" Johnny suggested as he offered the other an encouraging smile. "That way I know where to start with ya."

@>Scorchedpaw

Reactions: Baelfire
— An orange-tinted ear would twitch in the mention of his former mentor's name. His face was void of emotion as he followed after the tailless chimera. Blue eye dim, his maw as firm as a straight branch. To say Scorchedpaw was a difficult one to handle would be an overview of his character. He didn't mean to be but again he was abandoned by someone he thought he was close to. The apprentice walked to his new mentor's right so that he could still see him, even at the sides of his peripheral. It wasn't the older tom's fault, he hadn't wronged him.. With a small frown, the flame point would attempt to dismiss his internal dilemmas.

Turning his head to look at Johnnyflame he'd offer a half-hearted smile in return. "Laikafurs taught me some hunting, I'm good at getting voles." When he mentioned his specialty there was a little bit of pride that coated his low tone before he turned his head to look where they were going. "With other prey, they said I needed to stop hugging so far to the left.. I tend to spook anything that moves fast." Scorchedpaw would mumble his shortcomings, he knew his eyesight was the reason for it. "Also they didn't feel comfortable with teaching me to climb." Something that all Skyclanners prided themselves on, and yet his mentor deemed him unfit for it.

//sorry for the sad sack! once he gets to know Johnny more he'll warm up a bit— tags

HE SAID, "WELL MY NAME'S JOHNNY, AND IT MIGHT BE A SIN

BUT I'LL TAKE YOUR BET, AND YOU'RE GONNA REGRET, CUZ IM THE BEST THERE'S EVER BEEN."​

Good at Voles, huh? "If you've got a specialty already then your already a better hunter than I was when I first joined." he mused, flashing the youth a half-grin.

Johnny had improved a lot since he'd first slipped off his twolegs fence and ventured into the woodland beyond, coaxed among the pines by a bicolor tom who know longer used them as their haunt. Johnny managed to make the kill a lot more than he missed these days, but it was still no secret among his clanmates that he had a long way to go with his hunting still. A part of him was nervous about it to be honest and what it might translate into for Scorchedpaw during their training, but it seemed like Laiaka had already given him a foundation to work off of.

As for the rest, Johnny listened carefully to what the younger tom was telling him, trying to build something in his mind he could work with. It made sense that Scorched pulled to the left- it was the only side he could see off of. The climbing thing though...

"I'll look into the climbing and see what we can do- at the very least you should know how to haul yourself up and down the trunks in case your ever being chased by something, but I'm bettin' there's more we can do there." he replied with a determined nod.

He wasn't sure if Laikafur had just been to nervous to try anything with Scorchedpaw, or if they'd written him off because he only had one eye, but the bobtail was almost certain he could figure something out for a lot of these problems.

"Today I want to get a look at the hunting technique of yours, see exactly what you mean by pullin to the left and spookin' the prey early. I'm sure we can get that fixed right up with a bit of practice and practical thinkin'."

He wasn't so naive to think that the process would be a painless and simple fix, and he didn't think that Scorchedpaw was either. There would be work that needed doing, effort put in that might leave them both exhausted at times, but that was the game, wasn't it? By the end, they'd both be better, more capable cats for it, and a part of the koi tabbycat was eager to help his apprentice find themselves.

"Come on, let's go find something- and no voles, mr expert- I want to work on weaknesses, not strengths." he chuckled before flicking an ear. "Now, go get 'em."