private LIKE A FEATHER ON THE SEA [ beefang ]

() evening sun blossoms petals of flame across the rippling river. frogs croak and birds chirp, settling in for the night. a gentle breeze whispers through the reeds, fluttering the water-dark fur of the young man as he crouches beside the shore, ember gaze vacant and fearful. a sound behind him, bigger than the wind in the reeds, makes his ears flick, and he'll turn his head to watch the appearance of a dark figure, dappled with snow. he offers her a smile, this familiar figure, and whisks his tail as if offering her a seat. "hi, beefang," the young man greets, and his breath catches in his throat. ember eyes so like a cat now long lost meet the one-eyed gaze of the she-cat, something oddly pleading within his gaze.

"my assessment is tomorrow morning," he tells her, as if this explains it all. his cousin has never been the source of most comfort within his life, but something tells him she might have a bit of wisdom to share. something to assuage his fears, even just slightly. "it feels like just yesterday you and sm-smokestar were carrying me, shell, and riv home." an image of snow strewn ground, of three kittens curled in the frost, their mother fled like the coward she was. he cannot remember it, being only days old, but he knows who was there, knows beefang (beepaw) had carried him to safety. he finds her gaze again, brow furrowing. "i don't know if i'm ready to be a warrior." he'll admit, voice small. he feels like a kit again, swinging in his cousin's jaws, too small to know where his life will take him.

• // @BEEFANG xoxo <3 " #848DAE"
  • 84189003_LZ0oLRva90zRWKW.png

• PEBBLEPAW ☼ HE / HIM, APPRENTICE OF RIVERCLAN. MENTORED BY FOXTAIL. 11 MOONS OLD, PENNED BY LAVS
    80821802_PGjjmLPeTFx5Nwd.png
    a large blue tabby with low white and vitiligo. pale blue fur covers the length of pebblepaw's stocky body, sliced through with darker tabby stripes and spots. baleful orange eyes peer out of heavy set sockets, and his muzzle, paws, and tail tip are dashed with white.

• Sad
Reactions: BossTaurus
࿐ ࿔*:・゚ — The faint sound of cricket song makes the warrior the tiniest bit tired but mostly relaxed as she walks leisurely through her home only to note the crouched figure of her kin. Despite how intimidating she may look or unkind when it comes to other, he smiles at her and that alone causes her to mirror the smile itself but smaller "Hello Pebblepaw," His tail returns to his side making space for her and the black smoke settles onto her haunches beside him with a soft hum leaving her throat yet she notices the way that he looks at her, how it seems to be pleading her but she does not know what he wants of her. "My assessment is tomorrow morning." Pebblepaw tells her and the words weigh a lot more heavily on her than she anticipated, her ghost of a smile faltering as a frown threatens to tug at the sides of her mouth and she murmurs quietly "So soon? I thought you..." She falls silent when he speaks once more mentioning how it felt like yesterday that she and her father had brought back her cousins during that harsh day during leaf-bare.

She doesn't speak for a heartbeat only feeling the way that her throat tightens and her chest begins to hurt at the memory of those unloved kittens by such a selfish creature that had been their mother before the trio had been adopted by Lichenstar and Hazecloud. The pair of mollies showing what a true mother is meant to be and how tender as well as precious that familial love could be, Bee finds it hard to swallow as a dry chuckle slips from her throat "It does feel like it was just yesterday... You didn't weigh that much, I felt like I was carrying a bundle of moss at the time. You and your siblings were so little..." So cold... Her claws dig into the soil underneath her as her lone eye focuses onto the river before turning towards Pebblepaw who had met her own, her jaws part as if to say something but shut.

There are words that she wishes to say but she doesn't know if she can voice it quite yet, she wished that she had spent more time with Pebblepaw and the rest of her cousins. Beefang had admittedly closed up when Smokestar had met his demise within the gorge and had kept everyone away from her only wanting to find the air to breathe again after her last parent had ascended to Starclan. The crickets chrip around them yet the moggy takes a deep breath only to shake her head lightly "You don't weigh like a bundle of moss anymore but... if I am to carry you through the coldest, most harshest day in leaf-bare again, I wouldn't hesitate." It's her silent way of saying that she cares for him and would do anything to make sure that he's safe and well, she wouldn't be able to handle the loss of another family member... She feels that she has lost plenty enough.

"I don't know if I'm ready to be a warrior."

Her heart grows weak as she listens to his softened, kit-like voice as he admits this and she scoots closer to him until she's able to wrap her curly-haired tail around him in a gentle manner. A rarity from someone like herself but she takes a moment to think of what to say and mumbles in an honest voice "I don't think anyone's ever ready... From something simple as being a warrior, to a medicine cat, leader, and a mother... This life of ours tends to hurl little surprises in our direction from time to time—" Her lone eye softens and a snowy dipped paw lifts to lightly ruffle the fur on top of Pebblepaw's head only to return to her side before continuing, "But we do the best that we can, adapt, and improve where we can... You're still young, we have time."

Her eye glances towards the river and her paw picks at a smooth stoned rock as she spares her cousin another look "You don't have to be the bestest warrior now, you'll make mistakes and learn from them. I'm a good example of that... I got too cocky and lost my eye." Her grin reappears only to swat the stone away as it skips across the river before plummeting, "You'll do great and pass your assesstment with flying colors, I'm sure of it... If you don't, well, you can try again but know that I'm proud of the cat you are today."

5BB8hMy.png

• ooc
  • WARRIOR SKILLSET;
    ✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✧✧ HUNTING
    ✦✦✦✦✦✧✧✧✧✧ TRACKING
    ✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✧ COMBAT
    ✦✦✦✦✧✧✧✧✧✧ STEALTH
    ✦✦✦✦✦✦✧✧✧✧ STRATEGY
    ✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦ SWIMMING
    ✦✦✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ CLIMBING
  • dOcsURU.png
    a shorthaired black smoke molly w/low white and a singular amber eye
    oftentimes comes off as untrusting of those around her, closed off, and not the easiest to engage in conversation with, she's not easy to befriend. distrusting of outsiders and will snap at you if y/c walks up to her on her blind side. all her opinions are IC only.
    14 moons old; ages the 10th every month
    asexual homoromantic; mated to moonbeam
    currently mentoring... roepaw ; formerly mentored by smokestar
    firstborn daughter of cicadastar and smokestar
    sister of cicadaflight and loveburn
    "speech", thoughts, attacking
    peaceful powerplay allowed

() she returns his smile, softens, and pebblepaw feels the slightest bit better. his cousin is not one to open up to others - since smokestar's demise she has been all ice and business, but she can spare a smile for him and it makes his heart warm. she seats herself, humming softly, a look of surprise when he tells her of his assessment. as if she has not been starkly aware of time throughout the moons, as if she thinks he is still fresh and new as an apprentice. it's almost sweet, the way the light catches the confusion in her one-eyed gaze. it does feel like yesterday, she murmurs, and his ears flick, seeking any kind of knowledge of that fateful day. he knows of his past, knows his heritage like the stripe-pattern on his fur, but that day has never been clear in his mind.

that she had been there, had clutched his tiny body in her jaws, daughter of kings holding the son of a witch through the leaf-bare chill, is more meaningful than he can say. he spends time with cicadaflight, has made a friendly rapport with loveburn, but beefang has always been distant. she clings to the medicine den, to moonbeam, with a fearful fervor, as if desperate not to get close enough to another cat only for them to die. so, her recounting the memory of his shivering kithood, of her princess's apprenticeship, gets him in a way nothing has.

if i am to carry you through the coldest, most harshest day in leaf-bare again, i wouldn't hesitate, beefang murmurs, and pebblepaw lets out a small noise, half surprise, half loving as he gazes at her. she moves her body slowly to curl her tail around him, and the young man presses into his cousin, chills prickling at his fur at the touch. her voice rumbles, soft and comforting, from her larger body, and pebblepaw looks at their paws together. they look the same.

you're still young, we have time. when did she become so wise, this she-cat of river kings? young woman, yet her tone reminisces of ages past, of wisdom beyond her moons. pebblepaw nods, swallows, ember gaze flicking to the rock as if skips across the water. "impressive," he mutters, hoping to lighten the tone. her grin is matched by a hesitant smile, a twitch of whiskers as the blue tom shakes off his melancholy feeling. "thanks, beefang," he blinks softly, surprised that tears are pricking at the edges of his gaze. pebblepaw finds his cousin's lone yellow eye. "for what it's worth, i'm proud of you too. and i'm glad to know you... to be your kin."

• // " #848DAE"
  • 84189003_LZ0oLRva90zRWKW.png

• PEBBLEPAW ☼ HE / HIM, APPRENTICE OF RIVERCLAN. MENTORED BY FOXTAIL. 11 MOONS OLD, PENNED BY LAVS
    80821802_PGjjmLPeTFx5Nwd.png
    a large blue tabby with low white and vitiligo. pale blue fur covers the length of pebblepaw's stocky body, sliced through with darker tabby stripes and spots. baleful orange eyes peer out of heavy set sockets, and his muzzle, paws, and tail tip are dashed with white.