private LORD OF THE TRIDENT ✧ cragkit

The sun has reached its zenith, showering RiverClan’s camp in warm, rich newleaf light. Pinekit and Crabkit have nodded off, curled in the safe comfort of Iciclefang’s nursery nest. It’s Cragkit who still seems to have boundless energy, unfazed by the sight of his slumbering littermates. Iciclefang reaches a white-tipped paw out and pulls her eldest son closer, giving him a lick between his ears. The fur on the top of his head is plush and familiar, and she relaxes, sinking closer to him and cradling him between her forelegs. “Cragkit,” she murmurs after a few lingering heartbeats, her voice low so as not to wake the other kits. “Do you know what makes RiverClan so special?

She continues to groom him, her words peppered in between languid strokes of her pink tongue. “The river is our life’s blood, Cragkit. We are the only Clan cats who swim in water and who eat prey from the water.” She blinks down at him, marveling at his perfection—at the twinkling eyes, high-set on a speckled gray-and-white face, at the unruly but glossy texture of his pelt, of the mountain-gray coat he wears so proudly. “Other Clans hunt only on land, do you know that? They eat mice and birds and rabbits and frogs.” She wrinkles the bridge of her nose. “They fear the water, but we base our entire lives around it. Never fear the river, Cragkit. I will teach you to respect it, and to understand it, but never fear it. It’s part of who you are.

That said, she bends down and gives Cragkit a kiss on the freckled bridge of his nose.

• ooc: @CRAGKIT
  • DEuJTnr.jpg
  • Iciclekit . Iciclepaw . Iciclefang, she/her w/ feminine terms.
    — “speech”, thoughts, attack
    — 22 moons old, ages realistically on the 17th.
    — mentored by Smokestar ; mentoring Cicadapaw ; previously mentored n/a
    — riverclan lead warrior & queen. mudpelt x icesparkle, gen 2.
    — former mate to Stormywing ; current mate to no one.
    — penned by Marquette.

sh tortoiseshell and white she-cat with ice-blue eyes. confident, capable, proud, dry, conceited, condescending, distrustful.

Unlike his littermates, Cragkit isn’t sleepy at all! The tom is by the entrance of the nursery, peeking out from behind the wall with mismatched eyes narrowed. Any time someone walks by, he bats his little paws out as if he’s hunting them, only to retreat back inside where he’s safe. This game goes on for a little while until a white paw enwraps him, pulling him closer to his mother.Mooooom,” He begins to complain as she grooms him, and he struggles to get away before huffing and sitting down in defeat.

What makes bath-time a little bearable is story time. He lights up, gazing up at his mother expectantly. “RiverClan has rivers!” He answers confidently. It’s in their name! “The others have, um…” He scrunches up his face, thinking really hard. “Wind…and thunder….”

He blinks back up at her as she continues, explaining how important the river is to them. “Wow…” He murmurs, feeling his chest inflate with patriotic pride. They’re the only clan to fish and swim? The others eat everything but fish, it sounds like. Cragkit makes a face of disgust at the thought. “I don’t like birds,” He tells Iciclefang with a frown and a shake of his head. The feathers are disgusting!

Never fear the river, Cragkit. “I won’t, mom,” He mews back, eyes shining. He’ll be the best RiverClan warrior there ever was. She casts a lick across his nose and he giggles, responding with a gentle swipe at her snout.

That’s right,” Iciclefang affirms, a small smile cracking over the snow-and-shadow of her muzzle. “The other Clans drink from the river, but they’re too afraid to swim in its waters.” She shifts, admiring his face, the freckled bridge of his nose, fire-and-ice eyes. “On the great journey, we RiverClanners had to rescue other Clan cats from drowning.” An ear flicks. She does not mention the she-cat she’d pulled from the rapids by name. She does not linger on the fact that Cragkit has her pelt, her strength, one liquid gold eye that holds all the love for her in the world.

She rasps her tongue over one of his ears, distracting herself with the velvet texture. “Birds are the worst prey,” she agrees with a laugh. “Or maybe it’s frogs. Would you eat a frog, little one?” She uses the point of her paw to poke into Cragkit’s belly, just avoiding the swipe he delivers to her nose.

Iciclefang rests her chin between his ears for a moment before withdrawing. She murmurs, “All five Clans have their strengths. We needed them all on the journey. But RiverClan is the fiercest, proudest Clan. We stand together and rise like the river when there’s trouble.” She flicks the snowy tip of her tail. “Ever since Cicadastar led our first Clanmates into the riverlands, we’ve adapted and grown.” Just like the waters they draw their strength from, she thinks with a hint of pride.

• ooc:
  • DEuJTnr.jpg
    — penned by Marquette.

sh tortoiseshell and white she-cat with ice-blue eyes. confident, capable, proud, dry, conceited, condescending, distrustful.

The mention of the journey draws his full attention. He thinks it’s his favorite story ever, and he never gets tired of hearing about the heroic tales of his mother and uncle as they saved all the clans. Someday, he hopes he gets to do something just as brave to save the whole forest!

His snout wrinkles when Iciclefang asks about frogs. “Yuck! No way, only ShadowClan likes frogs. You taught me that,” He tells her, recalling the detail from one of her past stories. One thing is certain: he wholeheartedly agrees with her. RiverClan is the bestest, most fiercest clan in the forest.

Eyes shining, he looks up at his mother and begins to purr as he leans back onto his hind legs and places his forepaws affectionately against her face, so that he’s eye-level with her. “I’m gonna be a lead warrior of RiverClan one day, just like you! I’m fierce and proud like the warriors! The other clans won’t mess with us anymore. And I’ll take Sunningrocks back, too!” His heart swells with excitement as he daydreams about his future, about being a warrior. He’ll be the strongest RiverClanner of them all.

Iciclefang sees the subtle variation in Cragkit’s mismatched gaze as she mentions the journey. Her eldest has a special love for tales of the mountain-bound Clan cats who’d found lungwort amidst the snow. She laughs at his immediate disdain at the idea of eating frogs. “That’s right. We are RiverClan, and we eat RiverClan prey.” She purrs as he places his tiny paws against her mottled face—up close, she can count the spatter of dark freckles against the strip of white blazing across his nose. She does just that—lovingly, slowly, deliberately, her ears tilted forward as she listens to Cragkit’s vow.

You will sit on Smokestar’s council one day. That I know. Perhaps your brother and sister, too.” She flicks the white tip of her tail, her purr strengthening as she imagines the warriors her children will become. Cragkit will be loyal and fierce, Pinekit brave and headstrong, and Crabkit… well. She doesn’t know about her youngest yet; he so resembles Ferngill that she worries a little about the path he has to tread.

But about her oldest son, she does not worry. He’s all rough-and-tumble, all excitement, filled with the spirit of the river. She presses her forehead to his in a gentle, soft move. “You will make the other Clans tremble when they meet you on the battlefield,” she murmurs to him. “And you will be known across the forest for your bravery. Someday, little one, RiverClan will need you, too, and you will be ready to defend it with your life.

She softly moves her face away, a seriousness gracing her features. “That is what it means to be a warrior.” She flexes her claws meaningfully, hoping she’s instilled something within him. Today, he plays and tumbles, but someday—someday he would meet enemy Clans in battle, he would rake his claws through blood-streaked fur, he would be called to lay down his life for the Clan he swore to defend. She wants him to know how serious a thing it is that he will be asked to do.

• ooc:
  • DEuJTnr.jpg
    — penned by Marquette.

• Love
Reactions: CRAGPAW
Every word his mother speaks is as holy as StarClan's prophecies themselves. He stares into glacial eyes in utter awe, his jaws parted as he soaks in everything she tells him. He will be known for his bravery across the entire forest? He nods to her, ears pricking. "I will! I will defend RiverClan with my life, I promise!" For what else would it mean to be a RiverClan warrior? He has to protect his family, his clan. Nothing else matters as much as they do.

When she pulls away, he feels a sudden exhaustion take hold of his young bones, as if the excitement of the stories and promises for the future has utterly worn him out. "I'll be the best warrior, mom," He promises again, this time quieter as he lets out a sleepy yawn and curls up against her chest, in between her forelegs. A low purr rumbles in his chest as he tucks his face into his paws and drifts to sleep, dreams of heroic battles finding him soon after.

• Love
Reactions: iciclefang