oneshot Love is a song that never ends || Redpath

Redpath

I'll catch your tears, quench your fears with joy
Sep 18, 2022

They had been coming to this same willow tree for a moon now just about, and each time Redpath felt something growing in her chest. Riverwhisker was quieter than she was, a little more rational but still a little silly. She would compare him to the river itself, strong and graceful, able to adapt to whatever came his way, just like water.

The two were comfortable, Riverwhisker held close by Redpath's embrace. She couldn't deny the warmth it made her feel, and she wondered if Riverwhisker felt the same.

She wasn't going to fool herself, she knew it was love. It was just a matter of confessing. That was the hard part. Even if she was sure he felt the same.

It wouldn't hurt to....Try, right?

She took a minute to prepare herself. She groomed behind his ear and she could feel it warming up as she did so. Maybe she could tease him a little first. So.... She shifted so she would have him pinned beneath her. He looked up at her with wide, surprised eyes. She pressed her nose to his cheek and gave him a soft lick. She felt him shiver, and continued to pepper his face in her soft gestures of affection.

Riverwhisker felt his fur prickle and his face warm so much he thought it could boil water. He squirmed, but not out of discomfort. He was giddy inside.

"S-stop-"

"Are you sure? I think you like it~"

Light brown paws covered his face, but they couldn't hide his smile. Redpath touched her nose to his, and then stared down at him.

"I love you." She said softly.

Riverwhisker s fur rose and his paws shifted so he could look at her with surprise.

"Y-you do?" He asked.

"Yeah..... You're really soft and sweet... And I like spending time with you." Redpath said, tail twitching nervously.

"W-well I.... I uh......" Riverwhisker trembled as he tried to get the words out. "I uh.... I really like coming out here to spend time with you- You're fun and...I feel a little more confident when you're with me." He took a breath. "S-so I guess.....I love you too!"

He gave her the most awkward, brightest smile, and Redpath responded by nuzzling into his face with her own wide grin, in part to hide her own face. She was glad they were on the same page, she would have felt so awkward if they weren't.

"We could share nests tonight...." She suggested.

"S-sure!" He blurted, then stammered a bit. "I mean, yes!"

Redpath laughed. Starclan bless him, he was so awkward.