private love song for a deadman | raccoonstripe

Sep 4, 2023
It's been a couple days since Cobweb had truly gotten to spend quality time with one of his brothers, though he isn't mad. Raccoon is all grown up, after all! A lead warrior, he certainly doesn't envy the responsibilities that the tabby holds now. How scary it is to be looked at through critical lenses, to be held to expectations steeper than any other warrior. Cobweb is much more content on the sidelines where he could gallivant around. However, once his little brother, always his little brother, and Cobweb makes sure that Raccoon knows this as he trots behind him with an easy-going grin. He idly kicks a leaf every single time he steps, and each time he loses it he picks out another one from the ground, a never-ending cycle until he abandons the action out of boredom.

"Whats new with you Raccoon? Whats been on your mind lately?" his paw steps follow after his, carefully placing his paws where Raccoons had been. If his brother turns to look at him, he'd offer an affectionate slow blink, his head tilting as he stops to stretch downward. Stars, if only he could rest... Hm... His eyes flit up with a spark of vitality. "We should go to sunningrocks. We can relax and hunt there, just yesterday I spotted what looked to be a family of rabbits peaking out. They even got somewhat close to me, isn't that fascinating? I think the kits would be happy to try something new and unusual." perhaps Raccoon would find it interesting, but Cobweb doesn't speak on how he knows how warm the stones have been, or how he practically knows every dip and groove by heart. He peers at his brother through amused eyes, his head tilting just slightly.

• @RACCOONSTRIPE
  • 9678AAC9-0303-455E-9B2B-F62ED4E60E7A.png
    -> cobweb, cobwebtail
    -> cis male ,, he/him ,, 39 months
    -> warrior of thunderclan ,, former marsh grouper
    -> spindly, dainty blue and white tabby tom with half-lidded blue eyes
    -> “speech, 827aab
    -> unknown sexuality ,, single
    -> smells like oak trees & an odd mixture of smoke
    -> image by gravecrypt

Reactions: RACCOONSTRIPE
Raccoonstripe is arguably one of the most ambitious and driven of his siblings, but he is especially so compared to his elder brother, Cobwebtail. The tabby pads just ahead of him during their trek through the forest, and something stirs in his belly as he watches the pale warrior kick up leaves with lazy paws. He thinks of the carpet of molding leaves on the marshy floor of their first home, thinks of Cobwebtail bringing his youngest siblings a bit of freshly-killed prey. A pang ripples through him, familiar sadness he is now accustomed to after losing his littermate, but he shakes his fur and gives his brother a grin.

The same things are always on my mind, don’t you know?” The tabby snickers, giving his brother a raucous grin. “One of these days I’ll get Nightbird to smile at me—not smirk, a real smile—and in the meantime, I’ll continue to be the best ThunderClan warrior possible.” He flicks Cobwebtail’s pale flank with the tip of his tail. “What about you? Besides counting rabbit kits, that is?” His smile turns lazy, knowing. “Got your eye on anyone?

They reach Sunningrocks before long, and the tabby tastes the air, ears flicking. “No RiverClanners here, thank StarClan. I’d like to use the land we won without being glared at for once.” He smirks and ascends one of the sloping stones—despite the hint of leafbare chill in the air, the rock is warm beneath his paws.

•  
  • raccoon . raccoonstripe
    — he/him ; lead warrior of thunderclan
    — heteroflexible ; single
    — long-haired black tabby with white and dark brown eyes
    — “speech”, thoughts, attack
    — penned by Marquette
    — chibi by Rai

"Ah, so same thing, different days, hm?" Raccoons smile is contagious and Cobweb swear he can feel his cheeks beginning to ache. "Nightbird? Oooh, good luck! She always looks like she'll cut you with how sharply she looks at you. Scary!" he jokes with a shiver, lightly, turning his head to a nearby flower before a striped tail flicks against his side. "I think you've settled in to being the best in my eyes. Besides mom, of course." he teases, tipping his chin up.

And then his brother asks the dreaded question, a sore spot that he has not told anyone. Got your eye on anyone?

He hesitates. Does he say that he has had eyes on many in the past but had made no move to initiate anything, does it strike him as cowardly? Paws shuffle against the ground and Cobweb tries his hardest to pretend that its just out of thought. When he opens his maw, he swears his words are about to be caught in his throat- "Me? Oh, no... The right cat hasn't come along yet..." and yet there is just a slight undertone of uncertainty that he brushes past, that he prays Raccoon didn't hear. "They'll appear one day. Maybe my soulmate is actually food, hm? Wouldn't that be my luck?" he shrugs with a tight-lipped smile, slight flash of jealousy that he yet again suppresses. He convinces himself of his previous words.

He blinks, sucks in a sharp breath to clear his own head.

"Right? I mean, they haven't given me much trouble lately. They're all bark and no bite, they'll glare from across the border but thats about it." whiskers twitch in amusement as Cobweb follows after him, flicking a plumed tail behind him as he wastes no time jumping up to the tallest stone. "This one right here soaks up most of the warmth," he scoots over to pat the place next to him with his paw. "And then underneath that stone over there was where the rabbits and their kits emerged from." he moves his paw to point at a shaded area between rocks. "You gotta stay real silent and then they'll come out looking for food." he settles down, watching, waiting.

• 9678AAC9-0303-455E-9B2B-F62ED4E60E7A.png
    -> cobweb, cobwebtail
    -> cis male ,, he/him ,, 39 months
    -> warrior of thunderclan ,, former marsh grouper
    -> spindly, dainty blue and white tabby tom with half-lidded blue eyes
    -> “speech, 827aab
    -> unknown sexuality ,, single
    -> smells like oak trees & an odd mixture of smoke
    -> image by gravecrypt

Raccoonstripe laughs, easing into the easy companionship he has with his eldest brother the way he would into tepid water. It’s comfortable in a way it never has been with his older sisters—by no fault of their own, really. The tabby just relates more to Cobwebtail—truly, they’ve always had some of the same philosophies, some of the same mannerisms. Had he not known better, Raccoonstripe could have mistaken Cobwebtail for a littermate. “Oh, trust,” he responds to his silvery-blue sibling’s comment about Nightbird, “I’ve been cut a few times already.” He’s pleased by his brother’s praise… but he does not say anything, only offering a smile of acknowledgment.

And then he can feel his brother stiffen, paws shuffling awkwardly. Raccoonstripe eyes him shrewdly, mouth pursed in thought. “The right cat? Who said any nonsense about the right cat? Honestly, Cobwebtail, sometimes you sound like Little Wolf.” He snorts with amusement. “Look at all the lovely she-cats in ThunderClan! Most of them would be more than happy to go on a moonhigh race through the forest with you… and just as many handsome toms, if that’s more your thing.” He shrugs. “But if it’s food you’re after, well… you might want to work on that hunting crouch a little more…

It's a subject the lead warrior could wax poetic about all day, but he can tell he’s made his sibling uncomfortable, so he gives him a gentle nudge with his shoulder and moves on. They can’t all be as lucky in love as Raccoonstripe (allegedly) is.

He laughs, though he hushes the would-be boisterous edge to his voice, scooting closer to Cobwebtail so as not to cast his shadow on the sun-baked earth. “You always were such a lazy hunter… but I think I agree with you. Never work harder when you can work smarter.” He tastes the air, faint rabbit scent bathing his tongue.

•  
  • raccoon . raccoonstripe
    — he/him ; lead warrior of thunderclan
    — heteroflexible ; single
    — long-haired black tabby with white and dark brown eyes
    — “speech”, thoughts, attack
    — penned by Marquette
    — chibi by Rai

• Haha
Reactions: COBWEBTAIL