camp LOVELY THING | free fish

Jul 8, 2022
MY NAME IS BRUTUS AND MY NAME MEANS HEAVY ✧
it's been getting worse, but she knows it does not get better until it is all said and done. there is her favorite fish in front of her. untouched, and pure. yet, she can't help the crinkle that forms in her nose and the disgust in her eyes. she knows, she knows she must eat. but the thought of it drives her wild. she'd rather take a page from clayfur's book and start eating sand. lightningstone would chide her for this behavior, but she has too much pride to be sick in front of the whole clan. she'd rather just save face and give up. to onlookers, they will find their deputy with a harsh and critical look towards something underserving. she had awoken early, greeted the returning birds, gone to her favorite fishing spot...she had done everything right.

this must be the heavens way of punishing her. but of course, she could also be overdramatic. a sigh leaves her lips, and instead of torturing herself with this staring contest, the deputy finally pushes the fish away from herself. uncharacteristic, but there is no use in simply staring at it. it won't help her, nor would it help her clan to just let a catch go to waste. but the thought of not having a favorite meal...it was simply too painful. her head tilts towards the blue skies, watching. clouds roll by, ignorant to the plights of the world down below. the clan continues in its hustle and bustle. life goes on in its constant movement. "is anyone hungry? i...lost my appetite." she calls, hopeful for any passerby to just take this damned thing away from her.

By a stark contrast to the deputy, Birdmask has not done anything strictly right today. Perhaps ever, depending on what cat you ask (but that's definitely down to a long-standing grudge, and not because the orange tom is completely incompetent, Morninglight), but he'll concede today. It started with getting stuck when he tried to get out of the den this morning, and continues with the sheer virtue of being a drypaw. But it's not all bad! He has steadily warming sunlight, and nothing to do until the sky creeps a bit further into the sky, and he has the comfort of knowing he isn't the only one having a bad day.

Buckgait seems uncharacteristically unlike herself. Staring contests, for one, seem more like something Sneezefur would get up to, and with a fish? Odd. Odd, but hardly his concern - even if it is his entertainment. And even less his concern if it means he gets to eat something without having to go all the way to the freshkill pile or try and fail to face the river.

"Don't mind if I do," Bird hums as he saunters over, happily swiping the fish. Starclan, it looks like a tasty fish - you know, for a fish. He takes a few polite steps away before he lowers himself to eat, mouth hovering over his meal. "I don't even care that you might have poisoned it." Bit extreme payback for the algae incident the other day, but he would respect it. Still, he doesn't start eating just yet, instead watching the brown and white cat for a change in her tight expression.

Lilybloom is sitting nearby as Buckgait struggles to eat. She's quite content with her own fish, so much so that when Buckgait offers the fish to someone else she doesn't even go to take it. Birdmask is the one who takes it eventually, helping himself to the meal, but doesn't take a bit of it yet. Perhaps the thinks Buckgait has do e something to it or that the fish has gone bad in general. The thought crosses Lilybloom's mind when she looks toward Buckgait. "Are you feeling alright?" Lilybloom asks in a not unkind manner. "That's unlike you to pass on a fish like that."

RiverClan really does have the best deputy. She’s strong, and she’s kind, and she’s even generous—giving away her hard-earned catch to a clanmate, how nice of her! Clay says as much as he trots over to join the others, smile already set on his face. "That’s really nice of you, Buck!" Sure, Birdmask seems less than grateful, but the sentiment is still there!

His niece brings up a good point, though, and Clay tilts his head as he gives the deputy a once-over. She doesn’t appear particularly ill, but why wouldn’t she want to eat a perfectly good fish? She’s never been opposed to eating fish before, has she? "Oh, yeah, are you good?" That’s strange, but if she says she’s okay he’ll take her word for it.
[ WHAT'S MY AGE AGAIN? ]