LOWER A SAINT | luckykit

TAGS — Her nose still stings from her fall during her race with Hollykit, but it's not enough of a deterrent to keep Scorchkit out of the terrible gales for long. She'd retired to the nursery only to be recruited by Luckykit for an expedition around camp. What it is he's looking for, she isn't sure-- but he's dragged her out into the wind. The way it buffets their fur; cuts dry rivers through their pelts; tosses them around.... Scorchkit doesn't like it anymore. But she needs to be out here, she thinks. What if Luckykit lost his footing? What if the wind blew something scary at him? She would need to be here to take care of him, surely.

He leads her around camp's perimeter, and Scorchkit follows obediently, though something catches her eye. "Luckykit, look!" the girl shouts above the wind, pointing her muzzle down at a particularly interesting pothole, perfectly sized for two kittens. Scorchkit tucks herself into the depression, taking solace in the fact that the wind was no longer attacking her shoulders-- though her white-tipped ears poke out the top and remain vulnerable. Still, she hopes Luckykit will join her, mostly so that she can pose a question: "What are we looking around camp for again?" After all, it's so windy, and her nose still stings.... "Do you think the wind's going to go away? Hollykit likes it but I don't. It makes you fall."

/ @LUCKYKIT

After their first outing, Luckykit had wasted no time at all scurrying back to the nursery the moment he deemed it appropriate to do so, wanting an escape from both his clanmates and the wind that tugged so uncomfortably at his fur. As before, he had realized that staying in the nursery forever just wasn't feasible, but it hadn't really sunk in until he watched his siblings tumble on out of the nursery, eager to explore the bounds of camp. Slowly, carefully, he had trailed behind, though only ever with some sort of intention in mind - to learn more about the duties of warriors and apprentices, to hear a story from Houndthistle - and, as such, he now finds himself with the issue of having been out and about long enough to have no excuse not to know the layout of camp better. Stay within the gorse boundaries and stay out of tunnels, Scorchstreak had warned them all that first day, and perhaps Luckykit had taken that advice a little too seriously, avoiding most of camp along with its uninviting borders. Watching his siblings bounce in and out of the nursery while he remained had all at once become too much, and so when Scorchkit had popped back in he seized the opportunity for some guidance, quickly whisking her right back out for some exploration.

Right away, he almost regrets it with the way the wind pushes at him, threatening to knock his legs right out from underneath him, but it's too late now; Scorchkit is already in tow, and he refuses to back out now in front of his sister. Still, it's hard to know where to start - WindClan's camp still seems as vast as ever, especially with how empty it is due to the wind whipping about. After some deliberation, Luckykit finally decides to start working from the edge in, hoping that facing the gorse brambles first might embolden him for the rest of the adventure. Pawsteps are slow at first, but after a glance confirms that Scorchkit is right behind him, he tries to pick up the pace, head lifted high in determination despite the wind practically steering him off course. While maintaining more than a healthy distance, he's finally able to survey the walls that protect all of camp, and he's quick to decide that they're probably deceptively effective, what with the mixture of both gorse and heather.

They continue on like that, Luckykit leading and Scorchkit following, until Scorchkit points out a dip ahead of them. "Hmm? What is-" he's quickly cut off as he, too, spots what's caught her attention, and he happily follows, pressing up against her side and out of the wind. For a moment, he simply relishes the reprieve, noting where black and red melds into blue and cream, but it's not long before she has more questions for him. "Well, I haven't really explored everything around camp yet, so I thought we could do it together. You know, to find stuff like this-" a gesture at the small indent they find themselves in, "- and other cool stuff. Maybe somewhere else to hide from the wind that's got even more cover - like somewhere that's not as open." He doesn't mention just how little he actually knows about the layout of camp, only silently hopes that Scorchkit hasn't already scoured their surroundings like this while he was busy hiding away.

Her next question is met with a wrinkled nose - after all, the wind was half the reason they hadn't already done something like this earlier. "I sure hope so! And soon! It messes my fur all up..." Luckykit grouses with an irritated twitch of his whiskers. No matter how hard he tried to look presentable, the moment he so much as peeked out of the nursery it was as if he had gotten into a fight and lost, pelt completely askew. "Well, I don't like it either, and I don't know why Hollykit would, since it's messing everybody else up too. I heard that even some of the warriors are having a hard time hunting in it." A concerning thought that WindClan might be struggling to catch prey, but truth be told, Luckykit finds himself more fixated on how the wind was supposedly even stronger outside of their protective walls. "What do you think it's like out there? Outside of camp, I mean." he suddenly asks, gaze lingering on the entrance tunnel. Not that he was all that eager to find out anytime soon - really, exploring camp was more than enough for him.
[ PENNED BY HIJINKS ]