camp MADNESS AND SOIL / moss fashion

SHADEPAW

the giggle at a funeral
Dec 17, 2023
Shadepaw's idea formed after they had been staring at tree roots that wove their way into the camp, digging themselves underneath the thorn barrier and halfway under the dirt. The bulky bark was hidden beneath a layer of thin moss, blending the roots in with the ground. It was a pretty scene. Shadepaw thought just about everything was pretty. They tilted their head. The moss concealed the roots well.

A glance down at their own fur, gears turning in their head, and then they were ripping up tiny patches of the moss. It was sparse, not the best kind for bedding- but they would reuse it later, if need be. For now, Shadepaw carefully placed sprigs of it in their coat, first on the legs, then their chest, then twisting around to place it on their back and hindquarters. The Clanrock was her next target, where she peeled gray-green lichen off and added it as an accessory, just the same. Sprigs of green stuck up from the tabby's typically-sleek fur. She added a couple of pine needles.

Shadepaw's dark pelt made her look almost like one of the roots she had seen earlier. She was a part of the territory, even if she could not venture out in it. She also probably looked silly, and with a giggle in her voice, chirped at the nearest cat, "Heyyy! Do I look cool?" Without missing a beat, she suddenly crouched down, pressing her belly to the muddy earth. "Do I blend in? Like, if I got really flat, would- would I look like I was part of the ground?"

Attempting to take a break from his warrior duties to eat, his aim for the fresh-kill pile is interrupted by giggles and a chirping voice. Ribbitleap’s stride pauses, and the warrior casts his gaze down at the apprentice who asks for his attention, for him to look at her with her question of do I look cool? The brown tom isn’t sure what he expects, but he doesn’t expect to see Shadepaw adorned in all sorts of greenery. Moss and needles and all sorts — Ribbitleap wouldn’t be surprised if someone told him they’d just untangled her from a bush.

Oh that’s — “ he starts, caught off guard by the sight. Ribbitleap blinks, before an attempt at an encouraging smile is made. “ That’s very creative, Shadepaw. “ Though she looks a mess, there’s no doubt in his mind that he and his brother would’ve done the same, had they more time as children.

You blend in quite well already, you know, “ he says. Of course, holding a similar appearance (without all the moss), Ribbitleap knows how well his brown fur is for camouflaging in the marsh territory. “ But, the moss does help — I could hardly tell you’re a cat! “​
EpC61GT.png
  • 75352496_gFsg6B3oNHI0fCV.png
    FROG'S RIBBITRIBBITPAWRIBBITLEAP
    ── Warrior of ShadowClan

── Geckoscreech x Toad's Prowl
    ── AMAB; He/Him
    ── A brown tabby tom with green eyes.
    ── Mentored by Rustleap
    ── "Speech"; Attack

It's not exactly clear when Shadepaw had convinced her own mentor to help her in this silly display, but Lilacfur is sure just how it was done. It wasn't impossible to tell Shadepaw 'no' or redirect into a different activity but with Caterpillarpaw quickly approaching her graduation and Shadepaw still bound to camp, she gave in. Collecting the more difficult patches of moss that were higher up and organizing which sticks were 'bad' and 'good' for her game of camouflage.

It was a nice break between trainings. Lilacfur had just been returning with some nettles when Shadepaw roped Ribbitleap into her game and she smiled at the other warrior. "At this rate I think she might just turn into a frog!" She sprinkled the nettles over Shadepaw's pelt for good measure.

"You wanna share with Ribbitleap what we learned about frogs today?" She offered her apprentice the moment to show off what she knew.
[ i need the clouds to cover me ]

All Garlicpaw needed to hear was that someone might turn into a frog and she immediately came bouncing over to the cats to see what was happening. Who was turning into a frog??? Why???? How??? She must know. And when she sees Shadepaw all covered in stuff, she gets it. Covered in moss and green things and pressed to the earth...Like a frog! Wow, Shadepaw is so smart. She's never thought of using moss as camouflage before, only mud. While that works just fine, green is a much more appealing color and moss is a lot more fun to touch.

"Wow!! You're gonna turn into a frog!!" She chirps excitedly. "You blend right in with the marsh!"

When Lilacfur prompts Shadepaw to tell Ribbitleaf about what they learned about frogs today, Garlicpaw looks at them eagerly. What knowledge do they possess.​

I CAN'T HANDLE REJECTION

the older apprentice couldn't help the way he laughed. it seemed like shadepaw was having a good time and he was just glad someone wasn't trying to ruin that fun. chilledstar had once told him that kits deserved to be kits and there was hardly anything else he had such an easy time agreeing with. kits deserved to be kits. he wished that he would have been allowed the same thing but his mentor, adderbite, hardly allowed for such things. he spent so much time training, he didn't even think about the fact that he needed time to be fun, too. she looked silly, yes, but most of all, shadepaw was having fun.

"he thinks you look great, shadepaw! maybe add some flowers when they begin to bloom again, and you can really blend into the marsh better than anyone!"

raggedpaw laughs.