camp mine's not a high horse / intro, story-telling

rowanbelly.

ii. war
Nov 14, 2022
Snow trickled gently down from the sky every night as the world turned from the sun, nothing more than frozen little crystals descending to the ground. But to the creatures below, life shifted into an unforgiving struggle for survival as the smarter prey buried themselves in the insulated soil for hibernation.

Keeping spirits and morale high through times of strife and turmoil was of utmost importance for any community. Especially for Rowanbelly. The grizzled tabby witnessed his fair share of miserable and hopeless cats surviving on the barest necessities throughout multiple leafbares ― starvation and disease claimed more lives than he could count. Vicious predators, the elements of nature were. But Rowanbelly learned to grin through the hardship, despite clenched teeth and aching cheeks from holding his smile for far too long and far too wide. Someone had to preserve a sense of optimism among miserable cats, and he would shoulder part of the burden.

His tirade began with the question of how he received a particular slash across his face. To older cats, it was a tale he strung many times before, but one the younger generation comprising his audience hadn't heard before. The chocolate tom perched himself on a smooth rock within the camp, sitting on his haunches to free his arms for wild gestures to accompany his descriptions. "It had been a boiling hot day. The only time you could hunt without searing your paws was when night fell..." he initially started, chuckling to himself at the memories here and there. "Of course, I wasn't the only beast hunting that night. When I stopped by a river for a drink, I heard a branch snap from behind me. Two eyes were in the darkness, then four, then six, until eight eyes all stared at me from the undergrowth. Foxes, lurking in the bushes, had tracked me down as a pack."

"There I was trapped, cornered with my back to the river and four or so foxes stalking towards me from all sides," he continued, booming voice dropping to a lower tone for the suspense, fully capturing the attention of listening apprentices and kits. "They intended to make me their dinner. I could see it in their beady eyes! But I didn't fancy being made a meal, as delicious as I may be to a fox. They pounced ― and so did I, clawing one's neck and biting down on the other's. The third I headbutt into the river where it was swept away, and the fourth? It sliced me right across the face, but I sent it running either way." With a bemused twitch of his whiskers, Rowanbelly settled back down onto the rock, bushy tail swaying behind him. Of course, the original telling of events featured only one fox that was far too young to be a real threat, but only the older warriors would know this, able to call him out on his lighthearted exaggerations.

"SHENANIGANS!" Wolfwind cries. AS fun as it was to entertain kits with stories, they needed to be taught VALUES too. Like honesty! Which he is NOT teaching by telling this goofy story. Of course, Wolfwind is an upstanding citizen who has never exaggerated a day in life. Lily Pad and Howling Wind taught her well, and what was she, if not the ideal warrior? Even if mentor-ing was kind of really hard but she was sure everyone found it kind-of-really-hard and not just her. She's just - It's fine, she's a warrior now, course she could do anything. But beat up four foxes? Uh...no. Maybe if they all lined up nicely at the border.

Wolfwind wasn't buying it, but Ragwortkit was!
"Wow, awesome!" She gasps in child-like amusement, her maw opening in a smile. She can imagine it play out in her mind so vividly, and thinking about a fox getting thrown into a river to be swept away makes her chuckle. Ragwortkit hopes she has cool stories like this to tell one day too, she hopes she'll have cool scars one day like Rowanbelly.

Wolfwind was being a bit of a Debbie Downer, Ragwortkit doesn't like to think of Rowanbelly's story as "shenanigans" and unture. Even if it was unrealistic Ragwortkit simply doesn't like having to swallow difficult pills and deal with life most of the time being more disappointing than it's made up to be. So she rolls her eyes and boldly says, "What would you know?! Rowanbelly is soo much older than you!" There is a thwomp on her ear gifted to her by an NPC queen. "Disrespectful!" She warned in her ear, Ragwortkit only grumbles in response.

unknown.png

( primary character / "speech" / ic opinions )

╰ ★ ჻ 001 GENERAL INFORMATION ,
· RAGWORTKIT, female — she / her
╰ ‣ named for her health & strength at birth .
╰ ‣ 4 moons . ages on the ??
╰ ‣ thunderclan kit . loner born . believes in starclan

╰ ★ ჻ 002 VISUALS & AESTHETICS ,
· DOMESTIC FELINE, oak and maple trees , status — 100%
╰ ‣ blue furred . long-hared . a very furry head, chest, and tail

╰ ★ ჻ 003 MENTALITY & MANNERISMS ,
· ESTJ-A ❝
EXECTUTIVE ❞ , Hufflepuff, Lawful Good
╰ ‣ Kind-hearted . Honest . Loud .Justice-seeking . People-pleaser . Gullible . Empty-headed . Humorous
╰ ‣ Though she is all brawn and no brain, Ragwort tries her best and carries a bleeding heart to all whom surround her. She takes the role of "big sister" with her siblings and friends, never failing to have their backs, take care of them, and defend them when needed (sometimes even jumping the gun). While she doesn't offer the best emotional support (not due to a lack of trying) she gives the best hugs and is great at giving cats distractions with her shenanigans.
╰ ‣ finds minimal difficulty relating to others . wears a bleeding heart

╰ ★ ჻ 004 INTERACTIONS & RELATIONSHIPS ,
· GRIME x CINDERFROST, sister to toadkit, prowlingkit, hollykit
╰ ‣ unknown sexuality.
╰ ‣ poor fighter . poor hunter .
╰ ‣ will start fights . unlikely to flee .
╰ ‣ attack in underline . penned by user @ava.

WE'VE BEEN DOIN' ALL THIS LATE NIGHT TALKIN' ✧
"You're just jealous, Wolfy!" Fireflypaw cackled to himself as he sat close to his mentor, listening intently to the tom as he spoke of the pack of foxes going after him. "He's got the scar, after all. That just means I've got a mentor that fought foxes! Foxes!" He wheezes out a gaggle of cackling laughter, nearly falling over from the laughing. Once his cackling died down, Fireflypaw scoots himself closer to Rowanbelly.

"I bet you all sent 'em packing, Rowanbelly!" He reaffirmed his belief in his mentor's strength, naive that he was just one older cat against multiple foxes. If he was stating this story, it must be the truth, right? His mentor wouldn't lie about how strong he was! "What happened next? Huh, huh?"

Another chuckle fell from his grizzled snout at Wolfwind's words. "Shenanigans? Ah, well, it was many moons ago. Some of my stories are fuzzy," the senior warrior admitted, dismissing the younger cat's concerns with a waving paw. Yes, it was nonsense, but the laughter from both his apprentice and Ragwortkit is worth the exaggeration. A smile on their faces would suffice as enough reason to lie.

Allowing the queen to correct the kit with an almost sympathetic look, Rowanbelly soon found himself speechless by Fireflypaw's excitable question. He masked his uncertainty by humming in thought, bushy brows pinching together as he concocted a similarly happy end to the rest of his story. The truth? He returned to his expecting mate with nothing to feed her or their future children, his face slashed enough to worry about infection. They went to bed hungry that night, with little prey to cure their hunger the following nights. Rowanbelly's broad grin returned to his scarred face, looking downward at his apprentice. Oh, how he would mourn the day that the spark of innocence and hope drained from the youthful eyes upon him. "I returned home, of course. You should never linger in one place when there are predators around," he finally concluded, his voice rumbling and settling down to its normal volume.