backwritten misery loves company - reedstrike

BRONZESHINE

RIVERCLAN WARRIOR
Feb 15, 2024
♡​ why you so obsessed with me ♡​

bronzeshine & 26 moons & female & she/her & riverclan warrior

Listening to orders at all may be a bit of a struggle for Bronzeshine, but she could swallow her pride for the greater good. Most of the time. She had protested loudly when Lichentail had picked her and Reedstrike to guard camp overnight. Lichentail had not cared. Typical. She probably wanted to lord her power over them like all those haughty leads did.

So now she sat, stiff backed and biting her tongue, just about three tail-lengths from her ex. StarClan must have it out for her. A soft breeze ruffled her neck fur. Definitely had nothing to do with how on edge she was. They'd managed to not be alone together for extended periods until this very moment. She stubbornly was not going to look at him. Wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of knowing she still thought about him. But...

"How's Troutsnout?" she mewed, almost sickly sweet.

• Actions && "Speech," && ' Thoughts/Quotes '

ooc: @REEDSTRIKE

• sassy | flirty | proud | vain | irascible
    cis/het

physically moderate && mentally moderate
    non-violent powerplay allowed && healing powerplay allowed && minor injury powerplay allowed
    please tag account if attacking

it was pretty clear to most who interacted with reed on a day-to-day basis that he had a cocky mouth, until it came to higher ups. when it came to anybody higher in rank than him, he was immediately an obedient soldier - ready to follow orders. it was out of pure luck that he was born into riverclan and served under a leader with rational beliefs, because of the sad fact that reed would break his morals if it meant complying with orders. so, when lichentail ordered him to keep guard with bronzeshine that night, he steeled his jaws, only allowing a sharp stare at her when she had protested. it wasn't like he wanted to be put on watch with her anyway.

now, the large scarred tom sat in the barren night, only the crickets to keep them company as they chirped away with their happy choruses. the heavy tension between the two that sat outside camp was not so happy as the singing bugs. he had only glanced across towards bronzeshine once so far tonight, he had noticed her soft fiery coat was sleek yet her was posture stiff. he quickly broke the look before she noticed, leaving the icy silence between them still just as rigid. until, just as suddenly as he had glanced at her, she broke that silence.

"how's troutsnout?"

her voice had a fake kind of nice to it, too manufactured. reed snorted, a sarcastic edge to his voice as he replied, "good." his amber eyes narrowed as he glanced across the space between them at her again, he couldn't really figure out why she was asking about troutsnout - was it because of trout's crush on him? he wasn't surprised if bronze knew about it, he mercilessly teased the chocolate she-cat about it for moons, publicly and privately. was she that petty though, to care about trout's unrequited crush on him? possibly.

reed shuffled at the slight breeze, the wind barely tickling him against his dense tabby coat, but even that small unanticipated caress putting him further on edge. the tom briefly wondered if she was perhaps feeling the cold with her short fur but quickly discarded the thought. he noticed she had avoided his gaze and so he replied in kind by keeping his amber eyes forward, an irritation brewing inside him that he was trying to keep cool. bronze had always drove him a little crazy, whether it was through the flirting that they had pursued at the beginning or later with her temper and antics. it's like she knew just how to get under his skin. she was getting under his skin even currently, with how she was somehow pissed at him even though she had dumped him several moons ago. he instinctively flexed his claws in annoyance, a light venom on his tongue as he rigidly made further conversation, "why do you care?"

•  
  • unnamed.png
    ≫ large dark brown tabby with piercing amber eyes
    ≫ 20 moons old; ages the 1st of every month
    ≫ semi-hard to befriend ; doesn't trust easily
    ≫ riverclan warrior. tags. #873427
    "speech", thoughts, attacking
    ≫ light powerplay allowed

bronzeshine & 27 moons & female & she/her & riverclan warrior

Immediately she regretted having spoken at all. Stupid stupid stupid. Shut your big mouth, Bronze, she thought, cringing inwardly. He had accurately predicted that she felt the chill a bit, though she wasn't going to do any more to show it than simply shuffling in tighter to herself. Maybe it was a bit in embarrassment as well. She cleared her throat a bit.

"Seem awful 'buddy-buddy' sometimes," she said, though that sickly-sweet fire was already dying out. The idea of them possibly ending up together made her skin crawl. But was Bronzeshine the other option? No, she'd made that pretty clear with her abrupt and hasty get away before. Sure, she might've regretted that decision. Too proud to tuck her tail and grovel, though. And it's not like she still liked him. Right?

"Well, I..." she started just as quickly as she trailed off. She didn't really have a good answer for that. Why should she care? She'd made her decision. "I shouldn't,"

Ah, a rare moment of vulnerability. Reedstrike always seemed to be able to pull that out of her. Maybe that's what scared her before. Who knows. Try as she might, he still meant something to her. Despite her incessant flirting with others. Never seriously, of course, but who was she to do anything seriously. She let a quick glance his way sneak through her defenses, before righting back toward the dark.

ooc: —

cis/het
    ages on the 15th

non-violent powerplay allowed && healing powerplay allowed && minor injury powerplay allowed

reed narrowed his eyes, burning a hole in the willow tree yards away with his orange stare. he hadn’t anticipated he would be spending the night make awkward and tense conversation with his ex- but here he was. a bitter feeling raked it’s way up from his chest as she spoke about him being ‘buddy-buddy’ with trout. a snarl threw itself out of his jaws, a manifestation of several moons of bitter jealousy bubbling up in an instant, ”i don’t think you really get to talk about me being ‘buddy-buddy’ with her, when you flirt with a different cat each moon.” and just like that, his jealousy was out in the open, ugly and raw for her to now tear apart. he internally scorned himself for the sudden outburst, sadly his mouth was just as impulsive as he was.

the tough thing was that bronze was right- reed had become more buddy buddy with trout, especially at that day by the river. however, just as quickly as they became closer, both of them had moved away. he didn’t know why trout shut herself off that day, but reed knew why he did. funnily enough, the reason was sitting guard with him this cool night. he had been flirted with since him and bronze split up, but anytime he tried to engage it just made his chest ache, so he quickly learned to stop engaging.

the dark tom flicked his ears in surprise as he realized she admitted she actually did care and he snorted, unsure whether to be cruel or understanding. he didn’t really understand how she could say that after she ended their relationship. he huffed, straightening his tall shoulders forward as he caught the she-cat’s head tilt his direction out of the corner of his eyes. was she afraid to let her eyes linger on him for longer than a few seconds? he wasn’t. he turned his head towards her and narrowed his amber eyes at her, finally breaking the silence, “weird thing to say since you broke up with me.”

//srry rushed

•  
  • unnamed.png

Last edited:

Bronzeshine flinched. She isn't surprised at his volatile tone, but that doesn't mean it doesn't cut deep. Ears snapped back tight to her skull, almost like she was trying to block out his words. The fur on her spine started to bristle, and she was just as tense as she was before. Iron shields slammed back down to cover her wounded pride and heart. "They don't want anything from me," she spit back. How was she supposed to sit here and let this happen? StarClan must be punishing her for something. She bit her tongue hard. Hard enough to taste metallic. Fuck.

“weird thing to say since you broke up with me."

"It's not like I don't- didn't have feelings, Reedstrike," she hissed, hoping desperately he didn't catch her slip, "What was I supposed to do? Lead you on? I wasn't ready for it," She hadn't realized she was shredding the dirt under her paws. She had half a mind to run away, leave him to guard by himself. She knew he was a little soldier, ready to obey any command given by higher ups. She both liked and hated that about him. She didn't feel that kind of loyalty to... anything, really. She hadn't let herself get close enough to anyone. Except him, of course. Even her parents and siblings were estranged from her. She wanted to play a game she controlled. She felt like she was being suffocated, sitting there with him. Struggling to hold any shred of dignity and composure she might've had left.

cis/het
    ages on the 15th

he didn't break his gaze from her until he saw how she had begun to bristle, almost as if she was recoiling at the harshness of his words. the tom's eyes settled on his paws for a brief moment before dutifully returning to the dark night, willow trees rustling in the unrelenting breeze. "it's not like i don't- didn't have feelings, reedstrike," the dark warrior stayed silent as she hissed the words at him, "what was I supposed to do? lead you on? i wasn't ready for it." he had caught her first slip up about her feelings earlier but this one evaded him. he had taken the earlier statement to mean she cared about him being around trout, which just meant she was jealous. reed dismissed the second slip up because of the simple fact he couldn't believe that the she-cat would still have feelings towards him.

instead of granting her words an actual response he just snorted, dragging a lazy paw across the soil below, "whatever, we don't have to talk." it was a get-out-of-jail-free card, really. reed didn't want to actually consider the idea that she could've had a tough time as well. that maybe having to end a relationship because you weren't ready for what came after, maybe that was tough in it's own way. in any case, he didn't consider it because he didn't want to have to re-evaluate his own level of pain with the situation or if his anger at her was all justified.

he had honestly done a pretty good job of shoving all that nasty stuff down but every time he saw bronze out and about, whether she was just existing or maybe even flirting with another tom, it was like a barbed snake at the bottom of his chest. he had shoved all his bitterness into a cavity deep below his heart and this daggered snake just start being pulled from the top. it snagged and tore and fought it's way to the surface, bringing along not just the bitter feelings but now rough and ugly jealousy and heartache. the ginger she-cat was the reason for his strife and yet he could feel a deeply repressed longing for her that he was desperately trying to repress. that he would successfully repress for now.

•  
  • unnamed.png

Bronzeshine let out a dry, cruel bark of a laugh. "Trust me, I regret saying anything at all," she mumbled, half to herself. This oppressing atmosphere was pressing down, filling the space between them and choking out it's victims. Swallowing hard, she stood abruptly.

"I can't do this," she hissed. Maybe if she just went somewhere else, she could escape the feeling in her chest. Maybe, she could escape him. Impulse had failed her tonight, shouldn't it save her as well? She hurried off into the dark, to where, she wasn't even sure yet.

cis/het
    ages on the 15th