missed the boat | ratpaw

Salmonshade feels dread gnawing at her bones as she leads the young apprentice past camp borders, past the only thing the ex-kit has known, in to new territory. She wished she could feel anything but, but its loud, and it makes it known with the churning of her stomach, the occasional flick of her tail going back and forth. Things fly through her mind faster than a pounce to a mouse, what was she to do? Where do I even start? Teeth grind together and she thinks, regretfully, of what she had said at the meeting. We will leave immediately after this and return for the gathering, perhaps she should have put it off a couple hours, at least until the sun began to sink in to the horizon. She has no idea what to do, she has only briefly taught Cranberrypaw, only briefly gave pointers to Squishpaw. She should have given herself more time to formulate a plan.

As she walks, something draws her eyes. Billowing smoke from a way off which means lingering twolegs at the camp, thats something she can turn in to a lesson. She lets out a small breath, rolls her shoulders back and looks down as they walk side-by-side. "Over there is a twoleg camp, they stay during the warmer moons. You'll want to stay as far away from it as possible, its not even worth hunting around." briefly does she remember the news of some skewering Cicadastar to a tree, when they had not been... trusting of the lives that Starclan had blessed the leaders with. She thinks of the grief; would she grieve the same if it were Ratpaw? The callousness of the thought shocks even her, why had her mind even conjured this image? She shakes her head to clear it, breathing hitched in her throat for a heartbeat.

She swallows hard and pushes on, hurrying past the camp a little faster than before. "What do you know about treading water?" her voice comes in an idle hum as she distracts herself with pushing past fast enough to the point where she feels an ache in her legs. "We're nearing the river on Thunderclans border. I'd like for you to show me everything you know and everything you think you know."

• @Ratpaw
  • dg5qxk9-f1e272c6-c705-4449-95a5-6dfb1b0a3b3c-removebg-preview.png
    -> salmon ,, salmonshade
    -> cis female ,, she/her ,, 30 months
    -> warrior of riverclan ,, former marsh grouper
    -> fluffy & dainty chocolate tortie smoke with low white and blue eyes
    -> “speech, ff91a4” ,, thoughts
    -> lesbian ,, single
    -> smells like warm flowers & freshly cut grass
    -> image by @wrendoings [ disc ]

The second the meeting had been over, Ratpaw had quickly followed on Salmonshade's heels, making their way out of camp before they fell into step together, walking side by side as Salmonshade spoke and Ratpaw listened the best that she could. Ears swiveled around on her head as she tried to keep them pointed towards the older feline the best she could while eyes looked around the territory, soaking in the new sites that she hadn't seen yet. When Salmon pointed out the twoleg camp, Ratpaw's head snapped in that direction, making sure to remember where it was and how they had gotten here the best she could. The main thing sticking with her however being that she shouldn't go near it, there was no food and there was mainly danger - twolegs. She'd remember that.

Had Ratpaw not been as excited as she was, she likely wouldn't have been able to properly keep up with Salmonshade as she began to walk quicker as they left the twoleg area, but the bubbly apprentice was able to quickly catch up, almost hopping as she took the quick strides that were required to maintain on her mentor's side, eyes now focused on the ground before her so that she wouldn't accidentally stumble and crash into the ground. What do you know about treading water? "I know how to swim a little bit! My momma said that swimming is important for RiverClan cats, so she taught me and my brother how to swim a little around camp, but it's never been in super fast water before." She wasn't the strongest of swimmers yet, but she could get by enough to be able to get where she needed to be in most areas around the territory, but she knew it was likely she'd have trouble in other areas - but that was Salmonshade was for right? To teach her how to get through it.
  • [ooc]
  • ratpaw is a four moon old apprentice of RiverClan. Her mentor is Salmonshade. She is an all white cat with rounded ears and orange eyes. She is currently a weak swimmer, weak hunter, and a weak fighter. She is loyal to RiverClan, is bisexual and is currently NOT looking for a relationship. She is OPEN to plots and private threads, but CLOSED for injuries. PEACEFUL POWERPLAY IS ALLOWED.
  • a reference image should go here (I do not have one teehee)

Sal feels a weird sense of pride that ignites when Ratpaw says she knows a little bit. Good, does her tail flick, does her lips not move in a compliment. She draws to a stop, finally letting Ratpaw to have a moment of rest- Stars knows that she had practically dragged her along. Salmon stares in to the water, leaning over to look at her reflection. They're here, but the part about not swimming in moving water worries her just slightly. "Your mother is a smart cat. It is in our blood, swimming. It is our livelihood, it is our name." she reaches out to place a paw in. "Wait here. Do not move." she instructs as she moves to the shallows, in to water that comes to the top of her shoulders.

"Okay. You will show me, then. I am going to be right here so if you need help, say so immediately. I will come get you, the river currents are kind today." she mostly notes the last part to herself as she feels no strong tugs against her fur, nothing threatening to sweep her underneath ruthless waves. Her head jerks up as she moves further in to the water, just up to her chin, testing it before she returns, dripping wet, by Rat's side. "Keep mostly to the shallower parts of the river. I do not want you to go in to the middle of it, but I will follow you out, and I will correct your technique if you're wrong." she tries to shove a little warmth in to her voice but it is as blunt as always, blue eyes boring down in to her apprentice as she waits for her to start moving out. With hope, they start small. With hope does Ratpaw not get sucked down the river. Salmon has to dig her claws in to the riverbed below. What in the world am I thinking of?

Her thoughts begin to drift again as she waits for Ratpaw. Am I doing this right? Should I have started even smaller? The smallest of frowns ghost her even face. Maybe I should have started with others for her first swimming lesson. What if she drowns, what if i'm not quick enough- Salmon puts a heavy stop to those thoughts near immediately. She has always been quick enough, she has never doubted herself before this. It is not time to start now. "Ah, and I will take you to the other borders after this," she clears her throat quite awkwardly, she feels like shes getting ahead of herself. "I will show you Sunningrocks. It is what Thunder stole from us, it is what we will claim our stake over once more, someday."

-> salmon ,, salmonshade
    -> lesbian ,, single

Pride swelled within Ratpaw as she was told of her mother being a smart cat, and watched patiently as Salmonshade wade into the water, telling the light-furred apprentice to stay where she was. She watches as Salmonshade goes deeper into the water, as she moves to waters that were much deeper that Ratpaw herself had ever been in before, and she swallows down the anxiety that began to swell within her throat. She was a RiverClanner, swimming was in her blood just like Salmonshade had said. She would be fine. All she could do was nod her head as she was told to go out into the water, getting up and stopping to look up at her mentor as she began to speak once more, saying where they would go next.

"When we do get it back, I'll make sure we keep it forever." She'd excitedly speak, smile big on her maw as soon as she had done so. They were going to get the Sunningrocks back, and they'd be so victorious that ThunderClan would never think to try to steal them again.

With that, she began to trod into the water, hesitating for a moment as she reached the edge of where she could comfortably stand before moving forward more, paws no longer able to touch the small rocks below her. It was still shallow water - at least for Salmonshade it would be - but for Ratpaw it was something she had never done before without her mother and other kits by her side. She knew deep down as paws awkwardly moved forward and back that she'd be fine, but that anxiety still swelled for a moment as she tried to stay afloat. Her moves were clunky and disorganized, paws scrambling in awkward motions, but she was above water, and would be staying so, even if she tilted left and right every now and then.
  • [ooc]
  • ratpaw is a four moon old apprentice of RiverClan. Her mentor is Salmonshade. She is an all white cat with rounded ears and orange eyes. She is currently a weak swimmer, weak hunter, and a weak fighter. She is loyal to RiverClan, is bisexual and is currently NOT looking for a relationship. She is OPEN to plots and private threads, but CLOSED for injuries. PEACEFUL POWERPLAY IS ALLOWED.

Reactions: salmonshade
When we do get it back, I'll make sure we keep it forever. Eyes shift from lapping water, settled temporary upon the waves to meet Ratpaws face. A big smile is spread across her lips, she said it as if it were easy. Her first reaction is a half scoff-half snort of displaced amusement. Ratpaw is a gift that keeps on giving, isn't she? A pawful, maybe. Salmon tips her chin up. "Of course. As soon as you're done training, Thunderclan will know to fear you. I will make sure of it." her tone is completely serious as she stares at her paws beneath the surface,

Salmon watches as Ratpaw makes her way forwards. Clumsy, clunky, blue eyes just slightly narrow. It's what she thought, but thats okay. Ratpaw was just apprenticed today, and already is she doing good. "Your form is off." instead of holding a slight chill, as her words normally do, it is devoid, it sounds... almost soft, if Salmon believed herself to be capable of such. "Here. It's sort of like you're speed walking," Salmon aims to lightly grab Ratpaws scruff as her paws adjust the way she sits in the water. "But theres more kick to it, you'll want to kind of spread your toes out to tread easier. You don't have to be a natural at the start. Everyone learns." she speaks, giving a small nod of approval. "Don't unsheath your claws, they don't do much. And do not panic, under any circumstance. Respect the river, and the river shall respect you. Hold your head high, and sort of use your tail to help steer you."

Salmon moves out past Ratpaw, where water begins to lap at her shoulders again. "Try to make your way out to me using what I said. Don't worry. I got you if anything goes wrong." her voice is earnest, a small smile plays on her lips- perhaps a trick of the sun, perhaps something else, but its there. "You're doing good. Just keep treading like that."

-> salmon ,, salmonshade
    -> lesbian ,, single

ThunderClan would know to fear Ratpaw alright, she was going to be the best warrior RiverClan had to offer and it was what she thought about at first as she tried to swim properly. Teeth met scruff and Ratpaw was soon finding herself moving in the water, pushed slightly to the side in an attempt to straighten her out. "Spread my toes?" She found herself repeating as she did it, tongue almost sticking out the side of her mouth as she concentrated on the other things she was told. Claws sheathed, don't panic, respect the river. She held her head high and tried to wiggle her tail to straighten her out, but it made her wobble more and she went under for a moment, paws moving quicker out of instinct to get her to the top of the water before gasping for air, eyes wider than when they had started.

"It's... it's a lot to remember." She spoke once she caught her breath again, "How do you remember it?" She was still wobbly, less so than she was before, but now her head was wet and she really did look like a rat.
  • [ooc]

A rare huff of laughter leaves her, ears swiveling backwards as she watches Ratpaw struggle to try to do exactly what she had said. It's an attempt, a start, but Salmon isn't sure how to explain further. In the Marsh Group days she had spent countless hours by the river trying to fish, rarely being successful, but it honed her skills enough to be like a current herself; her own lessons were a bit unorthodox and consisted of jumping in the deeper parts, she wouldn't do that to Ratpaw.

But then Ratpaw dips under the waves and her heart stops for a second, dappled form flashing forth to save her apprentice. It happens nearly a split second later, Ratpaw bobs up again and she stares down, a horrified expression painting her face for just a heartbeat before she swallows and drops it.

"One day it'll click. Not everyone is good right off the bat, but you didn't panic, see? You're already remembering." something twists in her throat- a sharp sigh, a scream, maybe. No noise escapes besides her words. "Lets get you out of the water for now. I'll take you down towards Sunningrocks, and then we can visit the Skyclan border." she just wants to get her apprentice out of the river. "And to dry off, all you do is shake it off once you're on the riverbank."

-> salmon ,, salmonshade
    -> lesbian ,, single