MON AMI > fritter

L

Lionsnarl

"GIRL, YOU'RE A DIME, I'M A DIAMOND"
She had been stunning, a whirlwind of action and life that had stoked some sort of fire in his very soul. She was pure gasoline to his flame, and all those other sappy things that he would never say aloud, all those things he couldn’t put into words if he tried, but it still felt electric to be near her now.

They had settled back into camp, not bringing too much attention to the words they had achieved in the scuffle. Settled so close they almost touched, Tugger was hyper-aware of the coppery scent that clung to her usually sweet-smelling coat, though it didn’t bother him as it did on Finch.

"Tu étais incroyable." He says after finally clearing a bloody mat from his chest. "I've never seen a fr- ahem- Frenchman - fight like that."

@fritter
✦ ★ ✦

Fritter is staring off in to space- whether it was the pain that was getting to her or personal emotions, she was gone from this plane of existence. She had not bothered to clean her wounds as Tugger worked on his, opting to stay silent.
He speaks and she turns her head, blinking once, twice at his compliment. “Ah bon?” her own words feel foreign to her, alien like as she becomes hyperaware of the pain in her neck, and the drying bite on her ear. “Merci…” she feels weak, dizzy even as she tries to place her head on his shoulder. “Tu étais super… Tres bien.” she murmurs with a sigh. She feels at home here as she remembers the burning fear that she felt when Tugger had been attacked. “Je suis fatiguée.” she fights to stay awake, but Tugger is warm and it invites a peaceful place in her mind forth. For once in her life, she feels safe, and if that was right by Tuggers side then that would be right where she would stay. Her tail thumps weakly with a tiny laugh from her chest. “They were mad. It was embarrassing for even them.

He blinks once, twice, sitting perfectly still as she leans into him. He could feel his heartbeat quicken at the gesture, but he doesn't pull away. He is not one that invites such closeness and most that stray this far into his personal bubble end up staggering back from a slap but she... she feels right against him. She fits against him easily.

He relaxes into her touch, now registering her words. A smile - a genuine, handsome smile - graces his muzzle. "Sleep then. You need it." He says, and for once it is not a growl but a rumble. A happy sort of rumble that is soft and low, only for her. He doesn't quite know what the feeling is that is rising in his chest, but if it's just her around, he doesn't have to question it.
✦ ★ ✦

She idly flicks an ear and lets out a breathy giggle as he speaks. “I don’t know if I can. I’m just so… so tired. But its that sort of tired that aches in your bones and feasts from inside.” she adjusts herself, promptly getting in to a loaf position while snuggled in to his side. She finds herself staring off in to space again before she’d go to lick his fur, helping him clean off his own wound. Hers could wait.
She stays in a beautiful silence, taking in the golden glow of her friend, a pelt tarnished with crimson slowly getting cleaned. “What if… We lost that fight?” she speaks up after a while, furrowing pretend brows. “I was so scared, you know. I don’t know why. I saw that girl jump at you and my heart- it just, just stopped for a second.” she sighs, pulling her head back with guilty eyes. “Je suis désolée. I was not quick enough.” she stares at his wound and a tight knot winds up in her chest and its choking her. She thumps her tail against the ground again, a sigh as she rests her head on his shoulder. It was too much work to keep her head up. “What if there is a next time,” she speaks up again after a couple heartbeats have passed. “And we lose that one? We were lucky Rain showed up. I really think that the cat that had attacked me would have killed me. I saw the flash of the eyes. I know that look.” its true that she does, she was not dumb and months on the street taught her well. “Sorry,” she laughs it all off, waving her tail with a nervous grin. “Didn’t mean to get intense there.

Her body is soft and warm against his own, a sort of heat that soaked into his soul. It's so entirely encapsulating that it takes him a moment to even register that she has taken up cleaning his wounds. In any other context, this would be a purely platonic gesture - sharing tongues was a normal part of colony life - but Tugger still feels an uncomfortable blush rise under his fur at the closeness. He tries to laser-focuses on her words instead, but his brow furrows the more she speaks.

"I would never let anything happen to you." Is his growl of a response. "No marsh cat can handle a candle to me, that mongrel would've been torn tail to mouth if Rain hadn't shown up." Perhaps even a year ago, Tugger would've found his willingness to kill for mixed breeds laughable at best and plain detestable at worst. Now, there was a pervasive urge to protect, to care for, to kill for if need be. He had memorized that disgusting creature's face before it ran off. It would be the first to taste his claws in the back of its throat the next time those frogs decided to wander into their forest again.

"Never." Tugger bends his neck, swiping his tongue over the she-cat's torn ear a couple of times, wiping away the blood that had crusted over.
✦ ★ ✦