more than just a dream - - Flycatcher

Before she could go meet Flycatcher after the meeting was dismissed, Tigerpaw grabbed her and Batwing. She had shot her mate an apologetic glance, before allowing herself to be lead a little ways away by the tearful apprentice. As much as she wanted to speak to him, she was sure he would understand if he spotted the grief that was practically radiating from the young cat.

Once their talk was over, she caught his glance and hurried over. Her gaze lowered to her paws momentarily, before slowly looking up to meet his. "Can we talk outside?" she had so many emotions boiling up, she could hardly contain herself anymore. It had taken all her strength to keep herself composed during the meeting, and talking to Tigerpaw had almost sent her over the edge. She had kept herself strong for the apprentice, not wanting her to know just how scared she truly was...if Tigerpaw only knew how she felt...she couldn't crush her hopes on their return. She had told Tigerpaw that she would return...a lie that had fallen so easily off of her tongue, that she felt disgusted with herself. She led him just far enough outside of the camp to be out of earshot from any prying clanmates.

Before she had volunteered herself, she had come to the terms that she may not return home. These next couple days could be the last time she spends with her beloved mate...and the thought was almost crippling. She had never been away from him in her entire time here...he had always been with her, even before they became official. He was her best friend...Her shoulders slumped slightly, allowing herself to finally relax. "I'm going to miss you...so much." she breathed, pressing against his side and closing her eyes. This would be the last time she could reveal how she was truly feeling...She refused to allow her clanmates to know how scared she was, and there was no way she would let the other clans know.

//
@Flycatcher
  • ooc text, delete if not used​
  • flamegal.png
    FLAMEWHISKER of THUNDERCLAN
    LH red tabby with low white (masks black tabby, carries dilute, solid)
    — Lead Warrior of Thunderclan ; currently mentoring Acornpaw
    — she/her ; mated with Flycatcher
    — mother to Stormpaw & Falconpaw
    — 24 moons ; ages on the 20th
    — Smells like dirt, old leaves, tree sap, faint hint of flowers
    — will start a fight, will finish fights, will kill (case depending)
    "speech" ; thoughts ; attacks
    — penned by Icey ! ; link to tags
    — funny guy art by waluigipinball​

When Flamewhisker adds to speak, Flycatcher nods his head, eager for a moment alone with his mate. Much had already been said in front of their clanmates but there was only certain words and thoughts that could be shared in privacy.

When they're finally in private, Flmaewhisker's shoulders sag, and as she presses against his side he can see how scared she really is. Of course, Flamewhisker was brave, but he didn't doubt she was also terrified of what was to come, even if she would not admit that out loud to the clan. "I will miss you so much," Flycatcher mewed soflty, leaning into her. "I just want you to be safe and come back to me all in one piece." There was a certain lightness to his words, but it was a serious plea all the same. "And Stormpaw too. I can't believe she is going..."

"I just want you to be safe and come back to me all in one piece"

Her fur burns with shame. I can't promise that... the words almost fall from her tongue, but she bites them back. There was no need to speak them...he was already aware of the risk, or else he would not have said that. "I will try." is what she says instead, voice barely more than a whisper. There were so many unknowns to their mission...where even was the Lungwort? All they knew was that it was in the mountains somewhere. The mountains were so large...when would they return? Will we return?

He voices his concerns about their daughter going as well, and she is pulled from her thoughts. "I...I wish she wasn't." Not that she didn't believe their daughter was capable, but if she could refrain from putting her in any danger, she would be all for it. Howlingstar had been so close to denying her...but she hadn't. It would be selfish of her to ask for Stormpaw to stay home...and she was sure their kit would not approve of any special treatment. "You know I will do everything in my power to keep her safe." Anything. she added silently in her head.

She takes in a deep breath, and raises her gaze to meet his. "I need you to promise me something. If we don't...if I don't.." she stops, her throat too tight to continue. There were so many things she wanted to tell him, but she just couldn't form the words. "Don't grieve me...don't let Falconpaw be sad. If...anything happens...I will see you again someday..."
  • flamegal.png
    FLAMEWHISKER of THUNDERCLAN
    LH red tabby with low white (masks black tabby, carries dilute, solid)
    — Lead Warrior of Thunderclan ; currently mentoring Acornpaw
    — she/her ; mated with Flycatcher
    — mother to Stormpaw & Falconpaw
    — 24 moons ; ages on the 20th
    — Smells like dirt, old leaves, tree sap, faint hint of flowers
    — will start a fight, will finish fights, will kill (case depending)
    "speech" ; thoughts ; attacks
    — penned by Icey ! ; link to tags
    — funny guy art by waluigipinball​

Like Flycatcher, Flamewhisker has her own doubts and fears about letting Stormpaw go. A part of him wished he had argued for her to stay but he knew Stormpaw would hate them both if they had stopped her and held her back. "I know you will," Flycatcher smiles softly. A mother would do anything for her kits, and Flamewhisker would certainly go above and beyond to protect their kits, especially moreso after losing two so young.

When she begins to ask him to promise her something, he looks at her warily. He has a sense of what's coming and he doesn't want to promise her anything, doesn't want to even entertain the notion of them not coming back. "Nothing will happen because you will come back. Both of you. I won't entertain any other possibility," Flycatcher says, rubbing against her cheek. "You will be in my thoughts every night. Even though we'll be apart I will send you all my love and all my luck. Praying to StarClan for you to come back."