pafp moxie | hunters crouch

Scorchedkit

duty & honor - 義務と名誉
Mar 31, 2024

Her tongue pokes out of her mouth, clamped delicately by her teeth. Her brows pinch in steely concentration, then lift, only to promptly crease again as her balance wobbles and ultimately fails. Mismatched eyes grow wide, stretching to the size of moons in the wake of her failure. Dark paws fumble as the flame-streaked kitten takes several quick steps to steady herself rather than fall and eat dirt. Either way, the frustration is apparent in her features by now. "Ughhhh!" She exclaimed, stomping an ebony paw that caused a plume of dust to waft about the appendage. "I keep wobbling." She grumbled, as her luxurious tail whipped from side to side like an agitated adder.

She couldn't figure out what she was doing wrong. From what she could tell she'd followed all of Flamewhisker's steps to the letter. Or perhaps she missed a step and didn't realize it. "Mamaaa..." The girl whined, drawing out the word, turning around to look upon the ginger queen. "I don't understand. Everything is perfect until I try to take a step. What am I doing wrong?" She asked, frowning as she plopped her hindquarters upon the ground with a huff. She didn't think the hunter's crouch would be difficult to master. (@Flamewhisker)
̶̶̶̶  «̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ «̶ ̶̶̶   thunderclan kit / four months / she/her  ̶ ̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ »̶ ̶̶̶  

⁺˚⋆。°✩₊When her daughter had come to her, asking to learn the hunter's crouch, she had been ecstatic. Cloudyfur already had several moons of teaching underpaw when she had been assigned to take over her mentoring, and many moons had passed since Acornwish had eagerly clung to her side, absorbing her training sessions. Her heart ached at the memory of her later apprentice who had fallen victim to the wolves shortly after earning her full name. Another life stolen too soon by the stars...She shook the thought away with a ruffle of her pelt.

Her kit struggles with the instructions she had given, paws clearly unbalanced and fumbling. It was difficult to imagine those that had come before her would have already started their training, and were already out in the forest by her current age. This was another reminder of why the new rule was created, and regardless of how ready she was to get back into the forest, she would cherish the last couple moons she had with her kits in her nest. Even though it was still awhile before the kits would be apprenticed, she saw to reason not to get a head start on at least the hunter's crouch. Hunting was in her kit's blood after all.

The fiery tabby reached a careful paw forward, and placed it on her daughter's back. "Try again...but this time put more weight on your haunches. When hunting mice, you want your front paws light and ready to strike." She waited for Scorchedkit to shift her weight, and gently corrected her form by adding a little weight to bring her rear end closer to the ground. A flash caught her eye, as her daughter's tail lashed behind her. "Steady your tail, keep it level along the ground or else you'll alert your prey before you even see it in front of you."

• 79527857_EHpqE5qIBF95tOn.png
  • FLAMEWHISKER she/her, deputy of thunderclan, 32 moons, ages on the 20th
    LH red tabby with low white (masks black tabby, carries dilute, solid)
    widowed mate to flycatcher / / mother to: falconheart, stormfeather, sparrowpaw, sunkit, mothkit, scorchedkit, and squirrelkit
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted / / underline and tag when attacking
    will start a fight, will finish fights, will kill (case depending)
    link to toyhouse
    penned by Icey !@icefang65 on discord, feel free to dm for plots.

*+:。.。 "You can do it, Scorchedkit!" Wrathpaw encourages with a juvenile bleat, hoping to help ease her discouragement. Hunting wasn't as easy as Wrathpaw had thought it'd be, so he understood her frustration. There was a lot more to the hunter's crouch than just dropping onto her belly - especially when if you lower yourself too much, you risk making a noise by brushing the ground! Or how you have to keep an eye on every spot you put your paw down on, or what your tail was doing - like how your tail needs to flick to keep you balanced but not swipe anything by mistake! How you have to listen to everything, but also focus on one scent, and keep an eye on the wind direction and also don't be too stiff or too loose or - ahhhh, Wrathpaw was getting dizzy just thinking about it!
"I tripped on my first hunt, so you can't do worse than me when the time comes!" the boy adds with a giggle, rubbing his ear as he recalls with a twinge the angry Skyclanner that greeted him soon after that 'funny' event. Maybe...not so funny...

• GENERAL:
    Wrathkit
    DMAB— He/Him
    6 moons — Ages 1 moon every month real-time
    Brother to Lovelight, Joywing, Giggle-
    Thunderclan — Kit
    Mentored by Wildheart

COMBAT:
    Physically easy | mentally easy
    Attack in bold #4a59ff
    injuries: None currently

"'S alright to mess up on your first time crouching. I remember when I was young, I could hardly keep my back arched! I thought the prey would see me if I had my rump so high. Turns out I was doing it aaaaall wrong." Sing-song voice souinded as Campionsong made his way to the crowd, like a silvery carol piercing through the mist, as he glanced down at a kitten who couldn't be that much older than his own. Streaked in flame, Scorched's little pelt was so different than the argentine moonlight of his own. At least Wrathpaw and Flamewhisker were quite supportive of the younger one, though perhaps Scorchedkit shouldn't be thinking of hunting at such a prime age for imaginative exploits... He couldn't recall ever aspiring to become a soldier or a hunter as a child. The silver tabby remembered his youth, only a mere lilt of a wave in the face of a roiling sea, but a fond, warm memory regardless. Waxing poetry and following the heart, he mourned how those of the colonies and the clans kept themselves confined within the recesses of their territories. While he had joined the colonies to provide a better life for he and his family, it never truly compared to the life of the ignoble nomad.

mottled-cut.png
· · ───────────── ·𖥸· ───────────── · ·

She'd decided she was destined to be the best from the moment she could understand who her family was. A lineage of greats, of successes alike no other, a history of perfection. How many of her kin held positions of great esteem? More than not, in her bright, kitten eyes! So to see their den-mate, another descendant of greatness, struggling so much is enough to make her face crease with a frown. It's not really Scorchedkit's fault... it is her blood that makes her this way after all... perhaps her father being plucked from her too soon is part of the issue, she cannot be reared with his stellar skills or guidance as well as her mother's.

Gaze drifts towards Campionsong, who boasts of his own great failures at this age, which does little to impress Mottledkit. Maybe his lack of success is just a sign he is of thin humors... never destined for greatness quite the same way the deputy's daughter was, not quite the same way the leader's great grand-daughter was. He wouldn't understand.

"Well... ya gotta figure it out," she critiques unhelpfully, lacking any sincere advice but 'do better.'

"You gotta be a really good apprentice... it's your destiny," she insists, glancing at Flamewhisker expectantly, "Look at the... the paw-prints you gotta fill! And me too... Howlingstar's my great grammaw yanno..." None too modest, it seems.​

Flamewhisker's tender, encouraging paw rests upon her back as she explains the flaws that currently stand out. Her expression tightens into something serious as she nods, listening to the queen's wisdom. Of course, holding more weight in the back made sense to balance better. She could feel that lack of leverage before falling out of sync and now knew how to counteract it. The only thing she had to do now was to put it into motion and perfect it. Hunting was Flamewhisker's pride and joy and there was no way Scorchedkit was about to disappoint her mother.

When Wrathpaw attempts to ease the frustration of her earlier blunder she gifts the tom a small smile of appreciation. "Thanks Wrathpaw." She chuckled after his giggle. Slowly she stood to her paws again as Campionsong joined their group, small ears flicking as he made mention of his past failures. Doing it wrong. Without Flamewhisker's guidance, there was no telling how long her form would have been incorrect, leaving her to struggle until fixed. Her brows softened as she presented the warrior with an empathetic grin. "Well, at least you're doing it right now." The tortie chimed as she began to drop into a crouch again.

Her muscles stretched, remaining malleable long enough for Flamewhisker to manipulate her form. Then her joints locked, holding her in place as she made note of how much more comfortable the stance was thanks to her mother's intervention. "Yeah, I can feel the difference." She murmured as Mottledkit made her way over, spewing critiques. Scorchedkit scoffs at the end of her denmate's sentence. "I already know that." Flamewhisker's mantle and her late father's were heavy. Holding the coveted position of deputy alongside other wonderful achievements, pushed her to be the best she could be. There would be no room for error, she would make them proud.

Her tail sweeps low and falls steady after Flamewhisker tells her to mind it. But that does not stop her from continuing her conversation with Mottledkit. "Why don't you help me practice instead of standing there?" She challenged, allowing a mischievous grin to overtake her lips. "You could be my prey." As she steps forward her stance wobbles once then twice before falling into fluid motion for several strides. Drawing closer to her "prey" with as much speed as she could muster, her rump wiggles before aiming to pounce on Mottledkit and pin her with outstretched paws.
̶̶̶̶  «̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ «̶ ̶̶̶   thunderclan kit / four months / she/her  ̶ ̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ »̶ ̶̶̶  

mottled-cut.png
· · ───────────── ·𖥸· ───────────── · ·

"I practice all the time," she boasts proudly, puffing out her chest as she shuts pale baby blues in confidence. Her nose lifts in a sort of snobby show of certainty, not even the least bit riled up by the suggestion of her peer. There was nothing that Scorchedkit could do that Mottledkit couldn't do better... such was the luxury of her bloodline.

It was written in the stars and even Thunderscream knew that!

Huh? The notion of being prey however, feels like an insult. She is Mottledkit, not some little mouse to scurry around in fear! It was most unbecoming... a disgrace even, to pretend to cower and run from a fight, "I'm not p-" A flash of fiery shadow fur rushes forward as she peeks open her eyes to argue with her den-mate, giving her hardly any time to react before paws shove her over to stand atop her.

"Hey! My eyes were closed, that's cheating!" With a huff of indignation, she stubbornly flails her back feet in a flurry of weak bunny kicks to encourage the other to get off of her, being incredibly generous not to use kitten-sharp claws to really drive her frustration home. "I'll show you prey," she squeaks, reaching up a forepaw to bop Scorchedkit on the head.