my everything - flycatcher

Much like her mate had done time to time, Flamewhisker had purposely arranged the patrols around so that they were each free for the morning. The weather was uncharacteristically warm for leafbare, but that made for good hunting and walking. After their clanmates dispersed from hearing the morning patrols, she picked out his familiar pelt and padded over to greet him. Her tail rose happily, and she brushed her muzzle against his. "I hear you are free this morning." she chirped, smiling mischievously. "Care to join me for a run? Or are your old bones too tired?" She took a step backwards, and stretched out her front legs, digging her claws into the soft ground below. "I'll bet a mouse I can make it to the Great Sycamore before you can."
  • IMG_1727.png
    FLAMEWHISKER of THUNDERCLAN
    LH red tabby with low white (masks black tabby, carries dilute, solid)
    — Deputy of Thunderclan ; currently mentoring Acornpaw
    — she/her ; mated with Flycatcher
    — mother to Stormfeather & Falconheart
    — 29 moons ; ages on the 20th
    — Smells like dirt, old leaves, tree sap, faint hint of flowers
    — will start a fight, will finish fights, will kill (case depending)
    "speech" ; thoughts ; attacks
    — penned by Icey ! ; link to tags
    — link to toyhouse

A smile forms on Flycatcher's face at the arrival of his mate. It wasn't too long ago she had given out the patrol assignments for the day, conveniently leaving both him and herself off of any morning patrols. "Funnily enough I do have time this morning," Flycatcher responded, leaning into Flamewhisker's greeting. When she teased him about his old bones, Flycatcher pretended to be shocked. "I'm not that much older than you!" He chuckled, bumping her playfully as he stretched. "We'll both be retiring to the elder's den in a few moons time." An exaggeration of course, as they were many, many moons away from reaching that point in their lives.

"Make it two mice and we have a deal!" Flycatcher mewed. Before his mate could respond back, the blue-furred tom had darted forward, already making a break for the entrance to camp in an effort to get a headstart.

"Oh please, you snored so much last night you sounded like an old badger." she retorted teasingly, bumping her head against his shoulder. Though, it was hard to distinguished his and Raccoonstripe's snores last night. She knew better than to tease the former right now, especially so soon after Berryheart's passing. The dark tabby wasn't handling his brother's death very well, and understandably so. Her siblings were long dead to her, even though they hadn't passed, but they had chosen the easy life instead of being free. She hadn't met her father, but she had lost her mother many moons ago. It had hurt at first, but with time the ache had eased. On the journey, they had came incredibly close to losing Stormfeather...that was probably the most excruciating grief she had experienced. She dreads the day she would lose another family member.

Before she has much time to think, he takes the bait that she had laid out. Make it two mice and we have a deal! She grins and bunches her muscles, prepared to try to make a head start, but before she can respond he darts away. "Hey you cheater!" she calls out, pretending to be offended. He stole my idea!

Flamewhisker launches forward, kicking up dust as she runs after him. He already had made a reasonable head start on her, but she didn't care. She was content just being able to spend time with him on this beautiful day.
  • IMG_1727.png
    — Deputy of Thunderclan ; currently mentoring none
    — link to toyhouse

It feels like an eternity since they have had time like this together. Where they could be happy, carefree, and without worry for a little while, their responsibilities left within the confines of camp.

Although Flycatcher had managed to get a headstart, it didn't take long for Flamewhisker to join him, in part due to her own speed and in part due to Flycatcher slowing his pace so they could run together. When they're in line with each other, he flashes her a warm smile. After their recent disagreements, it felt good to be on better terms again, knowing their issues had finally been hashed out.

"You're getting slow, Flamewhisker!" Flycatcher chided playfully. "I would have been halfway to WindClan by not had you not run when you did." With the pace they keep, it does not take long to reach the Great Sycamore, both arriving at such a similar time neither could truly claim victory. His legs ached faintly from the sudden exertion and his sides heaved as he fought to catch his breath. "You know, the Great Sycamore never fails to take my breath away," Flycatcher mewed, looking skyward. "I wish we'd brought the kits here more often. I'd have loved to teach them to climb here."

IMG_8777-2.jpg

Flamewhisker huffs playfully as she is called slow. If she had been really truly trying, she had no doubt that she could probably win. In battle, she cursed her light, agile frame...but in instances like this, it was a blessing. The pair kept their pace together, reaching the Great Sycamore in no time at all. He stopped to catch his breath, and so did she. It had been quite some time since their last run like this, so her limbs weren't used to the sudden activity. "It takes my breath away too...especially the first time I climbed it." she responded slyly, referring to their climbing lesson when she had fallen from one of the branches. Since then, she hadn't really climbed much, besides when the boars were in the territory. The most recent was climbing up the cliffside on the journey, but that had been a little more...extreme.

"I wish you could have came on the journey...the mountains..they made the Great Sycamore look like a sapling." she breathed quietly, pressing her side against his. Then again, there had been so many dangers on their trip, that she was also glad he hadn't come. She couldn't bear the thought of losing him. "I wish we'd brought the kits here more often. I'd have loved to teach them to climb here." His words made her fall silent, and she raised her own gaze to the towering tree. "Maybe...maybe you can teach our next kits to climb here." Her words were little more than a whisper. "I know we talked about another awhile ago, but then Yellowcough began to spread...Greenleaf will be here soon. I couldn't think of a better time."
IMG_8777-3.jpg

• IMG_1727.png
    — Deputy of Thunderclan ; currently mentoring none
    — link to toyhouse