NEVER THOUGHT TO WONDER WHY. wolfsong

Oct 15, 2023
Hauling himself in from another days work the older Tunneler had been plagued with uncomfortable sensations. Bizarre hot flashes when his body was nearly frozen to the touch. A constant need to lay down or lean against something. Giving in he plopped down within the warm embrace of his nest. Ignoring the way in which the world spun the ebony feline clenched his eyes shut. Willing the spins to wind down so he could take a breather. Unfortunately, nature had other plans for him.

Sighing aloud as visible irritation fluffed their pelt he began the up and down game of 'duty calls.' Now he could no longer ignore it. Something felt different. His body felt off as he stumbled back from the dirt place for the fifth time. His earlier hunt had been filled with errors and stomach pangs. Their pads felt fleshy and swollen as his head throbbed at the glare of leafbare's chilled sunlight. The last few days had been a similar story causing massive mood swings outside of his usual demeanor but today was nearly unbearable.

Fed up with these mystery symptoms he turned course for the familiar entrance of Wolfsong's den. I must of caught a damn cold from those fish eaters splashing me! Yet his nose did not feel drippy, their throat lacked any soreness and Harbingermoon couldn't pin point the pain. Leaving a small pang of worry to nag at the recesses of his mind. What if it's something worse? A peculiar nervousness seemed to creep it's way into their subconsciousness. Far too riddled with whatever sickness had befallen him the fluffy feline ignored it.

Instead he now grappled with the annoyance of dealing with Sunstride's mate. Best to get this over with. I've got work to wrap up. He knew better than to stir a fuss when in need of help so he kept formalities in place. Stopping at the opening he shakily called out in their usual airy tone. "Wolfsong, are you in?" Peeking around the corner and into the gloom his bright eyes slowly adjusted. Seeking out the familiar blonde coat of the herb scented cat.

OOC
It's time! @WOLFSONG This is set a day after he gets splashed by Riverclan. Feel free to power play the interaction for medical purposes.

──ᨒ↟↟ᨒ↟ᨒ↟↟ᨒ── At first, Wolfsong expects illness. Though cold alone does not necessarily directly bring sickness, it can weaken the body— especially when doused with water, so he does not immediately ask for his symptoms. But after inviting Harbingermoon inside the den and performing a cursory inspection of eyes, nose, and ears, that does not seem to be the culprit. Frowning, Wolfsong merely watches the WindClanner for several moments, taking note of the discomfort in their stance. As a tunneller, changes to his shape are more pronounced than on wider creatures; his small stature is prized for where it can fit, but it means...roundness is much more noticeable, even when slight.

"Tell me, Harbingermoon: does your stomach roil? Does your body ache in new places? Is your nest far more appealing than it once was?"
border2.png
little_elli.png
WOLFSONG of WINDCLAN FORMER ROGUE TURNED MEDICINE CAT. 41 MOONS, HE/HIM, NPC X NPC. MATES WITH SUNSTRIDE (07/05/2023). BIOGRAPHY, PINTEREST, & PLAYLIST.
  • ★★★☆☆ WOUNDS: You're (mostly) in safe paws. You'll know if he's less experienced if he asks for your permission to try a treatment. No wound can scare him away from knowledge.
    ★★★☆☆ INFECTION: He can prevent most infections. If you feel feverish, let him know; he'll hum thoughtfully over herbs and sniff your wound before saying, "With your blessing..."
  • ★☆☆☆☆ ACHES & PAINS: If you complain to him of pain, he'll ask where. If it's a headache, you'll likely feel a bit better. For anything else, "Try this, if you'd like, and tell me how you feel."
    ★☆☆☆☆ BROKEN BONES: At best. he can ask you to remain lying down in the den. He may try to distract you with conversation while he considers what herb to feed you.
  • ★★★★★ TRAVELING HERBS: Going somewhere? No worries; Wolfsong knows just what you need to stay hale and healthy during your journey. The rest is up to you.
    ★★★☆☆ KITTING: Thanks to Starlingheart and his own pregnancy, he's better prepared for the arrival of kits, but any complications will need a little faith and a lot of luck.
  • ★☆☆☆☆ POISONS: It's best if you avoid eating anything unfamiliar to you— it's probably just as unfamiliar to Wolfsong. The best he can do is offer you yarrow and sit with you.
    ★★☆☆☆ ILLNESS: If it's white or greencough, you'll likely recover. Otherwise, prepare for odd concoctions and the usual request that you consent to a little trial-and-error.

Receiving the invitation he hurries inside with a nod of 'thanks'. Casting a nervous glance behind him but relieved to note no other cat is stirring nearby. Shuffling in he sits before the Medicine Cat with a grimaced expression. Rarely did he allow others to touch him so casually but for the sake of feeling better he gritted his teeth. Exhaling soft sounds of discomfort at particularly uncomfortable points. Most of which he began to note started in his belly. They had been gorging on prey more than usual. Did I eat something bad maybe? That would explain it.

Again that strange sensation rattled him. Maybe it's worse? Blocking out the incessant worry once more he turned his head to face the scarred feline as they spoke. Rolling their questions about as his tail flickered with surprise. Nodding slowly he replied in a far softer volume than before. "Yes that's pretty spot on and it all started a couple of days ago. I also feel these horrid headaches." Raising his paw he softly rubbed the open space between his ears for a moment before settling back into place. Orange eyes wide with concern as he held on to bated breath.

──ᨒ↟↟ᨒ↟ᨒ↟↟ᨒ── Wolfsong had been deliriously excited when he realized he was carrying Sunstride's kits. Children had not appealed so greatly to him when he was younger, but after he and Sunstride confessed to moons of heartsickness, the thought of creating a family had left him pleasantly warm. He is still thankful for his kits. Will Harbingermoon feel the same way?

He does not know him well, but what he has seen does not tend toward...softness. Perhaps kits will change that and their birth will inspire a new tenderness in the warrior, but Wolfsong knows better than to entertain the possibility. More likely, Harbingermoon will share something resembling Sootstar's relationship with her children. There is not much maternal warmth in their leader, and he has seen even less of it after Weaselclaw's death.

Wolfsong draws in a breath, watching Harbingermoon's face with a keen eye. "I suspect," he begins evenly, "that you may be pregnant."
border2.png
little_elli.png
WOLFSONG of WINDCLAN FORMER ROGUE TURNED MEDICINE CAT. 41 MOONS, HE/HIM, NPC X NPC. MATES WITH SUNSTRIDE (07/05/2023). BIOGRAPHY, PINTEREST, & PLAYLIST.
  • ★★★☆☆ WOUNDS: You're (mostly) in safe paws. You'll know if he's less experienced if he asks for your permission to try a treatment. No wound can scare him away from knowledge.
    ★★★☆☆ INFECTION: He can prevent most infections. If you feel feverish, let him know; he'll hum thoughtfully over herbs and sniff your wound before saying, "With your blessing..."
  • ★☆☆☆☆ ACHES & PAINS: If you complain to him of pain, he'll ask where. If it's a headache, you'll likely feel a bit better. For anything else, "Try this, if you'd like, and tell me how you feel."
    ★☆☆☆☆ BROKEN BONES: At best. he can ask you to remain lying down in the den. He may try to distract you with conversation while he considers what herb to feed you.
  • ★★★★★ TRAVELING HERBS: Going somewhere? No worries; Wolfsong knows just what you need to stay hale and healthy during your journey. The rest is up to you.
    ★★★☆☆ KITTING: Thanks to Starlingheart and his own pregnancy, he's better prepared for the arrival of kits, but any complications will need a little faith and a lot of luck.
  • ★☆☆☆☆ POISONS: It's best if you avoid eating anything unfamiliar to you— it's probably just as unfamiliar to Wolfsong. The best he can do is offer you yarrow and sit with you.
    ★★☆☆☆ ILLNESS: If it's white or greencough, you'll likely recover. Otherwise, prepare for odd concoctions and the usual request that you consent to a little trial-and-error.

When he looks to Wolfsong for an answer his heart stops beating for a second as it reaches his ears. Their splotched mask crinkling with disbelief as a startled laugh erupts from him. 'I suspect.' No. 'that you may be pregnant.' Numbness begins to infiltrate his body starting at his digits and crawling upward. Reality creeping in and shattering their world at the revelation. Crafting a drawn out pause as orange eyes stare wide at the Medicine Cat. Pregnant. I'm pregnant. The soreness and excess weight all fell into place. Weird cravings, explosive behavior, and the uncharacteristic need to be closer to Hollowcreek. I knew it wasn't love. Shit. Shit!

Alas, he breaks his frozen state as well as his own heart. Falling back on the instinct to close himself off and shove everything else away. Sharply inhaling at the name welling in his throat. Oh hells, Hollowcreek! W-we weren't being serious I don't even think he loves me! This can't happen. He cannot know. Harbingermoon couldn't bare the look of disapproval or the potential knowledge he would be left behind. Not again. His thoughts took a turn for the worse as he stumbles back. Their nerves kicking into gear as the numbness bleeds into full on panic. Frame heaving sporadically as his heart jumped high with sparking nerves. The little warning bells that had nagged him for days set off with elation at being acknowledged.

Choking on air he pushes out a scattered response. "Hah- I'm pregnant? But when- I-Is there a chance that's a misdiagnosis?" He knew it was the truth in which the gravity of the other's words had been spoken. Their careful execution and calculating look leaving him exposed and laid bare. There was nothing to say yet everything to say at once. His mind decides on dread as Harbingermoon's heart constricts with confusion. "I can't be a father. I'm not ready. I'll never be ready!" Tears spring into the feline's eyes as he huffs from the build up of swarming emotions. Fighting to keeps his outburst to an angry whisper at best.

Rarely did he show this side but for a change it felt warranted. Hefty and pathetic tears crash down his cheeks in a torrent as his face meshes into an ugly expression. "N-no one can-." A painful shockwave runs up his side and the ebony Tunneler leans forward. Earlier headache returning with a vicious intent. Eyes clenching shut as the bewilderment of it all took a toll, he breathes out a plea. "Sunstride, you can't tell anyone. Not a damn soul. P-please. Not even..." The mere idea of the other's name causes a visible reaction, grief pulsating through him. There were no lessons to be had or trainings to prepare him for this.

Desperation colors their voice as he asks. "What do I do? How do I do any of this?" Body pulsating with terror as his overactive mind makes the decision. There's too much at stake. When he looks up the barriers have dropped and raw fear plays on their muzzle like the day he'd been left behind. Cold and petrified as snow swirled above him in the swamps. The hours spent wandering and crying for his siblings all those moons ago felt so much closer. Loneliness so suffocating that the world hadn't felt worth living in. He was drowning again and of course by his own mistakes.

──ᨒ↟↟ᨒ↟ᨒ↟↟ᨒ── Wolfsong is unprepared for the sheer panic unfolding before him, Harbingermoon visibly and tangibly reeling. Despite their differences, he finds himself pitying the warrior. Evidently, the children were not planned, and he worries again for their future if Harbingermoon is so unprepared for the responsibilities of parenthood. It is possible a queen would raise them, yes, and perhaps even love them as her own if Harbingermoon does not wish to, but it is still...unfortunate. "A slight chance, yes," he allows. "But I do not believe I am wrong, and it is best that you prepare yourself for what will come."

He drags in a breath, shifting uncomfortably as tears soak dark cheeks. Though he still remains wary of Harbingermoon, he reaches forward to place a paw over his. "You can be ready. I can help you— I have, after all, five kits of my own." He nearly suggests looking to others for support as well, but as he continues to stumble through speech, he demands secrecy. Wolfsong frowns, studying his face.

The fear he finds unsettles him.

"Calm, Harbingermoon. Control your breathing. I will tell no one if that is your wish, but my offer stands: I can help you prepare for their arrival." He pats his paw once before withdrawing. "Your pregnancy will not remain a secret forever; perhaps you should consider telling the sire." Unless...No, Wolfsong hopes that is not the case.
border2.png
little_elli.png