camp no easy way out -- fussing with prey

The SkyClan camp bustles around her, sharing meals and tongues as if it were an ordinary evening and their Clan was whole. The sky above through the trees is stained pink and blue with the setting sun, the first stars of the night twinkling to life high above their heads. If Orangeblossom tilted her head just right, she'd catch a glimpse of one.

But the deputy, crouched to eat somewhere nearby the warriors' den, turns a robin over between her paws and frowns. She'd picked up the prey after a long day of patrolling, content to settle in and eat her fill, but now that it's in front of her the idea of a robin is uniquely unappealing. It smells fine, but at the same time smells ... wrong. She definitely doesn't want it. She's hungry, but not for that.

"Hmm." She hums quietly, completely unaware of the eyes watching her fuss with her food.

• // @SNORLAXMOON @Drizzlepaw but no need to wait!
  • orangeblossom.png
    orangeblossom. tags.
    — she/her, skyclan deputy.
    — mentor to eveningpaw.
    — attack in #e08550. uses trees as an integral part of her fighting style.
    — mean enough to note that her thoughts don't reflect my opinions as a writer haha.
    — penned by mercibun; @ me in any official tabbytales discord for plots. :]
    — art by merc!<3

It’s been nice, how quickly Drizzlepaw has acclimated to clan life. The community feel has been great for their health, and despite all the cats being snatched, they’re all doing their best to make it through. He hopes he’s making things a bit easier as well…he’s not too sure, but he’s willing to do whatever he can. At least prey wasn’t an issue for them, he thinks as he silently munches on his own food. Though, he notices that their deputy isn’t eating her share, instead playing with it.

“Are you alright there?” The tabby asks Orangeblossom in genuine concern. He was pretty neutral on robin as a meal, but food was food, and he was sure she didn’t seem that picky before now.​

₊°✩ SOMEONE TELL ME, WHO AM I SUPPOSED TO BE?

Orangeblossom has been fussing with that robin for... a while now. She just keeps turning it over, messing with it, a look of consternation (albeit not wholly different from her usual unimpressed stare) fixed upon her face. Termitepaw, master of subtlety, has of course just been... sitting. And staring. Very openly. They can't quite figure out what she's trying to accomplish.

It's Drizzlepaw's words that stir Termitepaw from spectating. He asks if she's alright, which yes, is probably the correct thing to do here. Orangeblossom is acting pretty weird. They give a small, concerned hum, yet don't move their gaze from the piece of prey she seems so displeased with. "S-s-something wrong with the ro-bin?" They ask softly, unable to puzzle it out. For all the deputy's frustration, it looks like a perfectly normal piece of prey to Termitepaw.

GIVE ME DIRECTION, I NEED AFFECTION ! ₊°✩

• //
  • TERMITEPAW named for their dark and shiny fur.
    — she/her, they/them, or it/its. 11 moons.
    — skyclan apprentice, mentored by ashenclaw.
    — cowardly and superstitious, yet still kind.

primary character, medium-high activity. penned by saturnid.​
  • termitepaw.png

.°☀ But every time I see you cry

Bananapaw had been cleaning out the elders den for the upteenth time, stupid Lichenthroat and his rules, when her gaze was pulled from dry moss. She looked over to see Drizzlepaw and Termitepaw talking to Orangeblossom and it got her curious. The tawny and white cat padded over to peer over Termitepaw's shoulder- was there something interesting going on here? Didn't seem like it really. Her sister had a robin and didn't seem to want to eat it- which she could understand. Robins weren't that tastey with their stringy meat, and she lifted her head up a bit with a tilt, "I mean robins can be kinda stringy sometimes," She offered as a solution as to why with a smile.

"SPEECH"

With these wings of mine I'll stay awhile .°☀

• //
  • BANANAPAW named by her mother Alice
    — she/her, 12 moons, single
    — skyclan daylight apprentice, mentored by Sharpeye.
    — self-doubtful, overlaying smile, very closed in

primary character, high activity. penned by wolf_.​
  • banana.png

IMG_0038.gif

Figpaw can’t help but find the pickiness strange. It didn’t seem unlike Orangeblossom to turn up prey at her nose, after all, food was food as a wild cat. She feels validated by the facial expressions of her clan-mates, many of them were equally confused, even the warriors!

Figpaw would be the last to disrespect a deputy by questioning it, but after Bananapaw she offers a suggestion of her own. ”There’s more in the fresh-kill if you’d like a change of prey. Uh-a-I could fetch something else?” Three paws were at the ground ready to find a better piece of prey if the deputy gave the order.

55417772_ks6HUyroX73gwyT.png

( primary character / "speech" / ic opinions )

╰ ★ ჻ 001 GENERAL INFORMATION ,
· FIGPAW, AMAB — she / her
╰ ‣ 11 moons .
╰ ‣ skyclan apprentice . believes in starclan

╰ ★ ჻ 002 VISUALS & AESTHETICS ,
· DOMESTIC FELINE, smells like pine nettles & sap, status — 100%
╰ ‣ A red tabby she-cat with orange eyes. Mangled right hind leg.

╰ ★ ჻ 003 MENTALITY & MANNERISMS ,
· ENFP-A ❝
CAMPAIGNER❞ , Gryfindor, Lawful Good
╰ ‣ Excitable, generous, caring, quick-to-act, distrusting, resentful
╰ ‣ finds relative ease relating to others . kind-hearted, will show mercy
╰ ‣ cats of windclan blood or those she deems morally inferior will be met with her ire

╰ ★ ჻ 004 INTERACTIONS & RELATIONSHIPS ,
· NPC X DAISYFLIGHT, sister to Greenpaw, Violetpaw, Snowpaw & Butterflypaw
╰ ‣ Pansexual . mistakes admiration for romantic feelings
╰ ‣ Crushing on Fanta
╰ ‣ Apprentice to Tallulahwing
╰ ‣ good fighter . excellent hunter .
╰ ‣ unlikely to start fights . will flee .
╰ ‣ attack in underline . penned by user @ava.

dfsee60-d6f80910-bd39-4a17-abaa-c45315ead979.gif
The sheriff isn't eating. It's a scene that's not hard to miss for the daylight warrior - the way SkyClan's next in line settles with a bird in front of her, but refuses to take a bite of it.

Was this some silly clan tradition that Snorlaxmoon had yet to learn? He doesn't know, but the bird she sits with is new in color to the grey tom, unidentifiable by name. He has yet to try this bird, and yet, the sheriff holds onto it without a single bite. Snorlaxmoon can hardly move to the fresh-kill pile to get his own meal, with the sight at hand.

Was she saving it for later? Was that even allowed?

And, as others begin to near the orange and white feline, Snorlaxmoon does too, round form arriving to stand among the concerned clan cats. He listens for a moment, to their comments, their concerns and offers. Robins can be kinda stringy sometimes, one says. Snorlaxmoon wouldn't know, for the sheriff holds the bird hostage - the robin, he learns its called, then.

He hums, soot-shaded ears twitching as another offers to get her a different meal instead. Would she not eat that one, as well?

"I'll eat it," he finally chimes in, tail idly swaying behind him. His gaze stays locked on the robin at her paws. "If you won't eat it, I will." That way they can all know if the robin is stringy or not, or if there's another reason for the sheriff's thievery.

Unfortunately, it seems like she'd attracted the attentions of several SkyClanners in her hesitation, and Orangeblossom blinks as she finds herself bombarded by apprentices ... and Snorlaxmoon, which is the same thing, really, given his lack of skill.

"I'm fine, the robin is fine, them being stringy is the best part, Bananapaw," she rattles off the answers to half the questions and shoots her sister an exasperated look before answering the other half, "you don't have to get me something else, Figpaw, but thank you; and no. It's fine. I'll eat it."

You should just give it to him, Ora, whispers a small voice in her mind that sounds annoyingly like Apricotflower. No. She argues back, because arguing with a little voice in her head is a very normal thing to do and not at all stubborn. Orangeblossom steels herself to take a bite with a small breath in and out, trying to force her hackles down. She gets as far as pressing her teeth into the bird before the scent of prey-blood hits her nose and she recoils as if stung, ears twitching backwards with revulsion.

"... Nevermind." She pushes the robin towards Snorlaxmoon, defeated. "Is there something wrong with it at all? It smelled fine." Maybe that's what was wrong with it.

•  
  • orangeblossom.png
    orangeblossom. tags.
    — she/her, skyclan deputy.
    — mentor to eveningpaw.
    — attack in #e08550. uses trees as an integral part of her fighting style.
    — mean enough to note that her thoughts don't reflect my opinions as a writer haha.
    — penned by mercibun; @ me in any official tabbytales discord for plots. :]
    — art by merc!<3

Blazestar watches from some distance away, his thoughtful blue eyes trained on Orangeblossom. The deputy had been adamant about continuing her duties for as long as she could, and truthfully, the Ragdoll had not noticed any changes in her at all. Until now. He'd relied on Daisyflight and Deersong during their pregnancies, and he'd been very active in Little Wolf's life during hers, even with their Clan boundaries. He recognizes the almost green look on a cat's face as they stare at a piece of prey that has grown invisible maggots on its flesh. The look of a cat with kits inside, causing every sensation in their host's belly to become amplified.

The cats around her seem none the wiser; Snorlaxmoon offers to eat Orangeblossom's robin for her (of course), and Figpaw is prepared to exchange the piece of prey. Bananapaw, Drizzlepaw, and Termitepaw seem sufficiently puzzled.

Blazestar pads closer with a look of good humor creasing his features. "Hopefully there's nothing wrong with it! I'd hope SkyClanners know better than to bring crowfood into the camp." He sniffs the robin gently before backing away from Snorlaxmoon. "Perhaps it's just not what you're in the mood for," he says almost enigmatically to the orange and white femme.

[ PENNED BY MARQUETTE ]

"At least you tried to eat it?" Drizzlepaw offers as condolence. He hopes it doesn't come off as him babying her... The prey looked fine though, smelled fine, at least to him. He didn't think there was anything wrong with the robin itself, the problem must lie with Orangeblossom.

He really didn't know what it could be though, other than sickness maybe? "Maybe you should go visit Dawnglare or Fireflypaw...if it's doesn't pass, I mean! I really don't think it's crowfood." He relaxes his tense body, hoping he's not overstepping. He just wanted her to be okay.​