private no matter where you go (lakepaw)

That was that, then. Her family would be moving to the forest, under Ember's leadership. All except for one. Howling Wind had waited her turn, standing patiently nearby as each of her kits said goodbye to their sapphire-eyed niece. Finally, it was the grandmother's turn. She approached slowly, as if savoring every moment that she'd get to be near her kin, until finally white paws halted in front of the youth. Grief was evident in her gaze as she murmured, "Are you sure? You don't have to go. You can come to ThunderClan with us," She tried one last time to beg, though her voice lacked strong urging. She knew where her granddaughter's heart lie, and that was in the wetlands and meadows. Her heart was truly breaking.

// @𝓛𝓪𝓴𝓮𝓹𝓪𝔀
"speech"

✵ ღ ☾ IT TOOK ME BY SURPRISE - Her head ached.
Was it her head? No, it was something more than that.
Tears refused to spill out of pride, even as she touched her mothers soft chest fur one last time in a farewell embrace. The next to appear was one she had been dreading the most.
❝ Howling Wind- ❞ she began softly, but her grandmother was already speaking. The grief in her emerald gaze causing Azalea’s azure to cloud with her own.
Her grandmother had always been a role model to her, despite their differences in personalities, Azalea’s morals were taught by the brown tabby, the small compassion in the stoic tabby’s heart she would have to thank for her grandmother.
Front teeth sink into her bottom lip, and she softly shakes her head. ❝ I… I’m going to stay in the marshes for a little, j-just to think ❞ she finally says, her velvet voice choking on itself. ❝ I… I’m going to miss you so much ❞ she sighs, almost in defeat. She had lost the war to her emotions, and can feel tears pricking at her waterline. Subconsciously her gaze wanders to her mother, heavy with kits, and a small fear ignites into something bigger. ❝ You guys won’t forget about me over there… right? ❞
❝ Speech. ❞

THE HATRED IN HER EYES

Her heart clenches and gives way to tears, eyes brimming with glistening droplets as her granddaughter gives her final answer. Howling Wind was expecting it, but it didn't take away the stink. She sniffs, gazing at her as she continues to speak, eyes traveling to her mother. "We could never," She urges, moving to press her forehead firmly against Azalea's. She would miss her so, so much. Her confidence, her sharp wit, her will-power....ThunderClan would be that much less without her there. "No matter where you go or what clan you swear to...you will always be my granddaughter. You will always be my kin. Don't ever forget that." With a sharp, grief-stricken inhale, she moved to rasp her tongue firmly across a blue ear, fighting the tears that threatened to spill over her cheeks. "I love you, Azalea."
"speech"

✵ ღ ☾ IT TOOK ME BY SURPRISE - A shuddering breath of relief escapes Azalea’s maw at her grandmothers gentle answer, her eyes squeezing shut as Howling Wind pressed their crowns together, as if she was locking this moment down in her mind, to be replayed during her undoubtedly lonely nights.
Tears streamed down her cheeks, turning a soft silver to a storm grey. She doesn’t speak for a moment, not even when Howling Wind’s tongue rasped over her ear, she keeps her head bowed.
Stupid heartbreak.
She finally lifts her chin, eyes glazed with tears. ❝ I’m so proud to be your granddaughter ❞ she whispers in response, her voice hoarse, as if it would splinter if she were to raise it any louder. ❝ You… you guys should head out, before it gets too dark, mama’s expecting and can’t be tripping over things, you know? ❞ She speaks with a trembling voice. She did not want them to walk out of that exit, but her family’s decision was made, whereas hers was torn into three paths. ❝ Make sure to come to the next gathering, okay? I want to hear all about my siblings, and.. and see you guys ❞ she insists, it lacks her usual firm tone, it is almost pleading.
❝ Speech. ❞
THE HATRED IN HER EYES

That was it. I'm proud to be your granddaughter. It would be those words that cause the tears to spill over, allow moisture to streak her cheeks. Another sniffle, and she pulls away, giving a nod in understanding. She's right. Lily Pad needed a nest, she needed to lie down and relax. It had been a long day for them all. "I wouldn't miss it for the world," She mews, a sad smile crossing her muzzle one last time. "Just...know that if you ever change your mind, you have a home here, okay?" She blinks towards the rest of their family, gathered and ready to go home. If Azalea ever had any doubts, she would always be able to come to her family. To join them in the forest. She gave her granddaughter one last longing look for stepping away, her tail waving in goodbye before she slowly padded away, heart crushed.
"speech"