development ON THE TRAIL ✦₊⁺ FIRST CATCH

Feb 26, 2024
Deerpaw follows his mentor dutifully, dark paws shuffling and pushing through the undergrowth. Today, he has been dreading but also was secretly excited for the sudden expedition. His mentor paused suddenly. He quickly halts, almost bumping into the molly, blinking rapidly in confusion. Where they already here? Fast. He tilts his head up slightly, ears perking up from their flattened state as he listened to his mentor.

Hunting? He... hasn't caught basically anything since he has been an apprentice. He kept missing his catches. The scrawny apprentice's tail twitches across the grass, as he lets himself nod slowly towards his mentor. He will not— won't let Lily Pad down. But... What if he misses this one? What if the prey he spots alerts a predator near him? What if... he dies while he's hunting? But– From what though? His muzzle wrinkles up at the thought of his useless body all limp in the jaws of a random predator. It's strange, a crazy thought imagining one's self as a piece of prey. Um. Right. Hunting, yes... He shakes his head free from the spiraling thoughts.

He trots forward, tilting his head up to scent the air for any wayward prey. Feathered ears rising to swivel around, as he quickly drops into a crouch. Tail a slight up the ground, brushing the grass softly as he goes forward. He twitches, a frown already curling onto his maw. The grass beneath him is so loud, he'll probably scare the prey away at this rate. Deerpaw crept quietly towards the sandy floor, while he scanned for any movement. Remembering to keep his weight on his haunches, until his within striking distance. Luckily, he does hear a small shuffle, mouth open he picked up a small scent. Perfect.

He remained motionless trying, desperately to pinpoint his prey. Straining his ears forward he picks up the rapid pulsing of a tiny heart. He waited until he saw the creature scrambling through the long grass. Now! He pushed back hard on his hindpaws, then sprang kicking up sand as he rose up. He lunges for it as the mouse raced away as he throws himself face - first into the thing.

Teeth does do indeed sink into the brown thing, killing it with one sharp bite. "I... I d-did it! I g-got it!" He announces, voice sounding like this is the first time saying words. He carefully picks up the still warm body of the mouse, clenching it in his jaws. Turning away to quickly show his mentor his accomplishment.
EpC61GT.png
  • ooc. obligatory mentor tag: @lily pad but no need to wait for her to post!
  • temp deerpaw reference
    b98dd8474182f7acce14e38f16159019c7459f6e.pnj
  • ( I-I CAN'T HANDLE IT! ) ˚₊‧꒰ა ♰ ໒꒱ ‧₊˚ DEERPAW. ╱ thunderclan apprentice
    ⸝⸝ amab ; HE / HIM ; 7 MOONS & AGES EVERY 26TH.
    undecided / not looking / open to puppy-crushes a scrawny longhaired black/dark ginger tortoiseshell tom with low white and hazel eyes.
    thoughts ; "Speech, ff7844" ; attacks only
    may powerplay minor harm ╱ peaceful and healing powerplay permitted
    smells like mud &. damp earth musk
    all opinions are ic! he's morbid and he sucks </3

biography / @ on discord for plots
    — penned by calzone

〕She trailed behind Lily Pad and Deerpaw, not wanting to disrupt their hunting lesson. When Deerpaw locks onto the scent trail, sending a nod towards his mentor, she shot a silent glare at the warrior beside her, demanding for them to be silent. Her guards may disturb her hunts, but if they disturbed the apprentice's hunt there would be hell to pay. Thankfully, the warrior was also silent, and Deerpaw was successful. I... I d-did it! I g-got it! The words brought a smile to her face, and she started padding closer to the duo. An apprentice's first catch was always a special occasion, and the sight warmed her aching heart. For a moment, the world around her felt normal. This was just another normal hunting patrol, and Skyclaw wasn't back in the camp ruining everything Thunderclan had worked so hard for. "That's wonderful Deerpaw. The queens will love it." Merlinpaw was still very new to her apprenticeship, so she hadn't made her first catch yet, but they would get there with time and practice.
u9a4dSL.png

• ooc. guard is an NPC unless any of the villains would like to be her guard today (:
    apprentice tag @MERLINPAW
  • FLAMEWHISKER —— deputy of thunderclan , mentoring none . storm x lily . littermate to nala, smokey, and nemo ✦ penned by icey !
    afab / she/her / 35 moons & ages every 20ᵗʰ
    widowed / heterosexual / closed to romance
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted / underline & tag account when attacking
    —— difficult in battle

speech”, 'thoughts', all opinions are in character
    tags — msg on discord for plots — toyhouse
  • 74170852_bklpiIOmSWVpAVE.png

a longhaired red tabby with low white and green eyes. flamewhisker's fur is a vibrant hue of red, riddled with thick classic tabby markings. her fur is medium in length, and she has a large, feathery tail. her chest, belly, tail tip, and her paws are dipped white. flamewhisker's eyes are a dark, deep shade of green. her shoulder has a large scar on it from a fight with a dog. she also has a shredded ear from a disagreement with a loner during her time alone before joining thunderclan. on particularly cold days, or sometimes before a major weather change, she will walk with a slight limp from her shoulder injury.

Redflower walks with importance alongside Flamewhisker and the other cats, brimming with the weight of her duty. She doesn't trust a single hair on the ginger she-cat's pelt, and neither does Skyclaw — for good reason. Amber eyes never leave the deputy's flank, even for a moment. I'll flay you alive if you show me the slightest disrespect, she thinks, her ears swiveling against her skull.

She nearly misses Deerpaw's triumph. Flamewhisker is quick to praise the young tom, though Redflower only snorts. "Is that your first prey, at seven moons? I caught mine at six." Her ear flicks with disinterest. "Might as well let the kits dismantle it, I guess."

• ooc:
  • Redkit . Redpaw . Redflower, she/her w/ feminine terms.
    — “speech”, thoughts, attack
    — 14 moons old, ages realistically on the 15th.
    — mentored by NPC ; mentoring n/a ; previously mentored n/a
    — thunderclan warrior. npc x npc, gen 1.
    — currently mated to n/a.
    — penned by Marquette.

lh tortoiseshell with low white and pale yellow eyes. bright, spiteful, impressionable.

Rabbitnose has accepted nothing will ever be okay again for him. His hunts are the only thing blocking bad thoughts from his mind, and his focus is easily broken. He's desperate to find a suitable distraction from his grief. He has contemplated leading his guard out to the thunder path alone and killing them, but hes never had to get away with murder before. He'd be the first suspect.

He'll figure out the perfect murder eventually he supposes. He ignores his guard bitterly with a scowl as he stalks the forest. It does not take him long to find prey, and with a swift pounce and a bite a little more vicious than it had to be, his hunt is successful. He glances back at his guard with a lingering, narrow glare before stalking off again. Hearing Deerpaw and Flamewhisker, he follows their voices and is greeted with Deerpaws first kill.

His expression lifts to a shadow of the happy smile it used to be, weary and drained of the joy it once had, but his kind smile and proud gaze still shines through.

"Very good, Deerpaw! Good job!" He congratulates.

Of course, this single good moment is ruined when Redflower opens her mouth. His expression returns to the tired scowl it was before and looks at her with disgust. "Nobody cares."

(( Any villain can be his guard otherwise it's an NPC!))