private once more with feeling -- eveningpaw

It's been a long while since she found herself in Eveningpaw's company alone. Orangeblossom longs for their training sessions, comparing birdcalls and catching glimpses of plumage in the trees, learning to track by scent and by sight, by footprints and flurry of feathers alike. But the two mollies have settled for a midday meal, the apprentice snatching time between patrols and the deputy clinging to a quiet moment. She'll have more of these soon, her brood almost ready to leave their nursery-nest, but this is a rare privilege.

Orangeblossom wants to ask how the calico feels. How Eveningpaw is coping with Thistleback being gone, with her siblings hiding from the watching eyes of SkyClan and her mother following suit. She wants to ask how Eveningpaw is navigating her life, how growing up in the Clan feels, how she is loved and supported regardless of the pervasive misery fate has deemed SkyClan worthy of.

"How is your training going?" She asks instead. This is safer.

• // @eveningpaw
  • orangeblossom.png
    orangeblossom. tags.
    — she/her, skyclan deputy.
    — mentor to eveningpaw.
    — attack in #e08550. uses trees as an integral part of her fighting style.
    — mean enough to note that her thoughts don't reflect my opinions as a writer haha.
    — penned by mercibun; @ me in any official tabbytales discord for plots. :]
    — art by merc!<3

• Love
Reactions: eveningsun

it was a strange time for eveningpaw, one that she never would have thought she would have to navigate. at first, orangeblossom's stay in the nursery hadn't weighed too much on her mind. she felt happy for her mentor, to be able to give skyclan new life was a blessing. strong kits that would undoubtedly have a solid foundation. it was just as respectable of a duty as assisting blazestar to lead the clan.

besides, then she had been under thistleback's training. more time spent with her father, even if he was tough in regimen she cherished it, but perhaps not well enough. he was gone, pulled from beneath her paws so quickly it left her head spinning. eveningpaw didn't know a skyclan without the bristled tom. and although she was born in the nursery, raised in camp, trained alongside everyone else, it didn't feel like home without him.

adjustment, change. she never really liked either. if it were up to her, maybe she would still be tucked away in the nursery cuddled close to deersong's side. never to witness death, abandonment. it had happened though, and eveningpaw had to get used to it. return to her duties and do what was expected of her despite her shattered world of which she had no clue what to do with the pieces.

all she felt these days was lost, even now as she was under attention that she had been yearning. "it's alright," quietly, eveningpaw hums a response, tail sweeping to lock around her pale frame. "i'll be happy to have you back, though." would she even want her back? the calico would hold no ill-will towards orangeblossom if she didn't. she no longer felt like the child that was eager. for knowledge, experiences, all things exciting. "if you'll have me, that is." it's delivery would mirror a joke despite being tentative in nature, she even included a small huff of laughter to show it's apparent lightheartedness.

• Love
Reactions: Orangestar
  •  
  • orangeblossom.png
    orangeblossom. tags.
    — she/her, skyclan deputy.
    — mentor to eveningpaw.
    — attack in #e08550. uses trees as an integral part of her fighting style.
    — mean enough to note that her thoughts don't reflect my opinions as a writer.
    — penned by mercibun; @ me in any official tabbytales discord for plots. :]
    — art by merc!<3
"'Course I will."

Orangeblossom watches Eveningpaw for a moment, comparing times in her mind. She remembers watching the little calico scale the sunning-stump unprompted, uninstructed; unsafe, but unharmed in her efforts. That had been the moment the deputy had known she'd be thrilled to receive Eveningpaw as an apprentice, and even moreso delighted when Blazestar had made that choice for her. And here she was now, manners unforgotten when she nibbles the mouse, half-grown, and Orangeblossom blinks against a pang of guilt that strikes at her heart. Apprenticeship is one of the most important times of a young cat, and Orangeblossom had chosen to bear kits halfway through Eveningpaw's.

Losing the battle to her pride, Orangeblossom doesn't apologise. She makes a considering noise, however, bicolour tail thumping against the ground gently. "It won't be for a little while yet, but where are you with your training? What are you enjoying? Are you struggling with anything? I can probably set you up with another warrior until I get back depending on what it is."

it's a more of a relief to hear orangeblossom's confirmation than she would like to admit. a soft smile graces her muzzle, but her doubts failed to concede fully. would she tell if her mind had changed?

eveningpaw blinks, considering her question. the specifics of her training, it was usually not the most present thing in her mind. she didn't see a strong divide between her and her peers, but then again she wasn't too focused on their skills either. "i suppose i'm not incredibly far behind," she hums, mismatched ears twitching thoughtfully. "i've been enjoying hunting. i used to think it was totally boring, but now it's kinda relaxing." it was true that hunting patrols were often a drag in her mind, but she appreciated the focus now. drawn from a goal to track a scent, follow it through. it was predictable.

there was nothing in particular that stood out struggle wise, but she wasn't convinced that orangeblossom would agree. nonetheless, she continued. "not that i can think of. it won't be necessary to stick me with someone else for now," her gaze darkened slightly. just look at what happened last time. "i'm fine tagging along with anyone who'll let me. it's a good thing, i'll be well rounded," eve jests, eyes brightened once more.

"are they excited to be apprentices?" she asks a question now, tail motioning to the nursery where orangeblossom's kits likely lingered. surely they would be. ready to go and see the world withheld from them as she was.