OPAL OCEAN [ ✩ ] BUBBLEPAW

( )  Starlightpaw's toes sink into sand as she paces along the riverbank, water lapping dangerously close as if to pull them in. She turns away, to face the molly following behind her. "Come, come," calls the apprentice in a high-pitched chirp, casting narrowed eyes back at his companion. The soft morning light is not so harsh on her eyes as it will become, but she blinks away brightness nonetheless. Cast in the gentle sunlight is a cat with a pelt like rippling water, all silvery swirls and seafoam. Bubblepaw, while not the brightest of cats, has proved surprisingly good company. Her taste in pretty things has proved similar to their own -- and she makes for a very good source of information with open chattiness.

...And, honestly, she's just fun.

Starlightpaw turns his attention to the pebbles and shells lining the riverbank, little gifts laid out overnight for the two to find. A smile curls his maw. "There's some good ones over here," he adds quieter, head tilted birdlike as he surveys the offerings, creeping softly across the sand. "Yes, lots of pretty little things... Ah, keep an eye out for the shiny ones." Those are his favorite, of course.

It's not long of searching before Starlightpaw blurts out the question she's been meaning to ask, practically vibrating with eagerness. "Oh and, uh," she begins surreptitiously, eyes twinkling. "Anything interesting at the gathering?" He shoots a quick glance over before turning his eyes back to the sand, but overlarge ears swivel to listen for a response.
border.png

• // @bubblepaw
  • ✩  ⁺ ₊  ⋆ STARLIGHTPAW. APPRENTICE OF RIVERCLAN. HE / SHE / THEY.
    5 MOONS & AGES ON THE 12TH. PENNED BY SATURNID.

✩ — A WIRY, CURLY-FURRED BLACK SMOKE WITH CLOUDED BLUE EYES.

SMOKETHROAT xx CICADASTAR. LITTERMATE TO BEEPAW & CICADAPAW.

MENTORED BY PETALNOSE

"GOT A LITTLE CASH NOW SO THAT SKIRT IS DIOR"
Bubblepaw follows Starlightpaw dutifully, moving deftly across the silt and sand of the shore as she follows him in search of pretty things in the riverbed. The pair of apprentices have similar taste, so when they'd suggested she could tag along to forage for shells and stones she'd been more than a little excited to tag along. She quite likes Starlightpaw- his eyes light up in the same way hers do when she sees something shiny- and they make for good company. The silver tabby turns over some of the stones and looks for some colors that she doesn't yet have too many of in her collection as the other apprentice engages her in conversation.

"Sootstar didn't come herself, she sent her deputy Sunstride," Bubblepaw begins with wide eyes, though Starlightpaw probably already knows that. Smokestar had made it obvious upon his return: Sootstar had fallen from StarClan's grace. "He says WindClan took highstones for hunting grounds. I don't know what sort of prey they must eat... I've never heard of hares that live in the moonstones." Bubblepaw absentmindedly sifts through the smooth riverrock and pebbles at her paws as she speaks, mulling over whatever the reason might be that Sootstar and WindClan would ever try to justify capturing highstones for hunting grounds.

"Maybe StarClan has stopped giving WindClan prey for all the evil things they've done," the silver molly suggests, wide-eyed as she glances at Starlightpaw. Many of the tales kits are told of StarClan are whimsical and full of hope and magical powers, but if those same starry cats can provide can't they also take away? "Anyway, there was a big outcry. All of the leaders were really angry. But Blazestar and Howlingstar- I really like her- they said they would stand with us." Bubblepaw casts a small frown, a rare expression for the upbeat molly. Surely WindClan does not intend to pursue battle against not just one but multiple clans? Surely they find it unwise after what became of the rogues who faced all the clans?

Bubblepaw searches for a sort of gossip that is more lighthearted, humming lightly "Hmmm... What else..." She tries to think about the thrumming of conversation around her before the gathering had begun and taken such a negative turn. Much was what she'd expected, though the WindClanners were scarier than she might have anticipated them being. "WindClan cats are really weird. And they're dirty. They were all whispering to each other, but I couldn't hear anything they were saying." Nothing had come of their words though, so they hadn't been planning anything. "The journey cats seem really close. Ferngill was talking to some SkyClan cats for a really long time, and Hazecloud and Lichentail talked a lot to a ThunderClanner."
✦ ★ ✦

( )  Bubblepaw's response is quick to come and very welcomed, taking her prompting question and running with it. Still, the news isn't all good. "Hunting grounds?" Starlightpaw sputters in disbelief. "Oh, they're not even trying... I've never heard of any prey up there, much less hares or rabbits -- it's rock, where would they sleep? WindClan is just -- just trying to cover their hides." His head shakes jerkily, a disapproving shudder. "Hunting grounds," she repeats again, sarcasm lacing the word. Liars and foxhearts, the lot of them -- but she though they'd at least have the dignity to hide it a little better. Bubblepaw's suggestion of StarClan starving them, though... That's intriguing. Starlightpaw perks up for a moment, pulling her head away from searching to look to the other. "Oh, hmm, maybe. I wouldn't be surprised..." she murmurs. Perhaps StarClan set a plague upon the rabbits, starved the birds and the mice... It'd be well deserved, that much he knows.

"Good. Seems the other Clans have sense enough to know what WindClan's done is wrong -- we won't be alone, then." He finds more comfort in the idea than he should, but the thought of his pa dying alone at the claws of WindClan's warriors won't leave Starlightpaw's mind. The protection of two other Clans should be enough to keep them safe. Sootstar be out of her mind to try fighting three Clans at once, but... Ah, when he thinks about it that way, he wouldn't be surprised if she did. Discomfort prickles at his pelt seeing unease on even cheery Bupplepaw's face.

Starlightpaw is just as eager to move on a she is, giving a soft, prompting "Yes?" as she tries to think of more to say. "Hah -- not surprising, the WindClanners. Likely scheming." His own experiences with them have been deeply unpleasant. "Did you know one almost bit me over a piece of fresh-kill -- a frog, no less? They're certainly trouble." A piece of gossip of her own; she doesn't have anything recent, but she can offer this at least.

Bubblepaw's other comment is more... uncomfortable, to think about. RiverClanners making friends with other Clans. "Makes sense, I suppose. I just hope they don't start getting too friendly..." she laments. They don't need anyone repeating Edenpaw's mistake, getting themselves clawed up on the wrong side of the border. Especially someone like Lichentail; she should know better.

"I'd like to come, next time... Ah, I feel like I've missed so much, camp was so quiet while you all were gone..." She's getting a bit too caught up in the chatting, though. Starlightpaw blinks, reorienting herself. Her change of subject is abrupt, but she doesn't seem to notice. "Haven't seen anything yet, nothing that truly stands out. Lots of stuff I've seen before, hm..." He sweeps his eyes across the sand once more to be sure; truthfully he'd gotten a little too invested in listening to Bubblepaw's recounting to pay much attention. She is not the greatest at multitasking -- once something's captured her interest, it's captured all of it. "Anything from you?" He prompts, hoping that she may not have fallen for the same folly.
border.png

• //
  • ✩  ⁺ ₊  ⋆ STARLIGHTPAW. APPRENTICE OF RIVERCLAN. HE / SHE / THEY.
    5 MOONS & AGES ON THE 12TH. PENNED BY SATURNID.

✩ — A WIRY, CURLY-FURRED BLACK SMOKE WITH CLOUDED BLUE EYES.

SMOKETHROAT xx CICADASTAR. LITTERMATE TO BEEPAW & CICADAPAW.

MENTORED BY PETALNOSE