ow | starlingheart

scorchfrost

warrior
Oct 24, 2022

Scorchfrost had a lucky tendency to avoid injury. He'd rarely been in the medicine den and, with the exception of delivering herbs, tended to steer clear of it altogether. There was the chance that he never reportedly got injured, he could well enough pull his own splinters and treat his own cuts, but he'd pretend that didn't happen. He was an invincible warrior. There was never any need for him to see Starlingheart in a professional manner.

The arrival of dawn saw Scorchfrost entering the medicine den.

The older warrior was visibly disgruntled, at his own perceived weakness or the early hour? perhaps both. One would be unsure. He tried his best to avoid sign of injury, walking on all four paws as he should, but the grimace with every other step was too pained to be his normal one. "Starlingheart? I need your assistance. " The words were spoken behind grit teeth.
[ YOU CAN'T BREAK MY SPIRIT ]

She can smell it before Scorchfrost even enters her den. The scent that accompanied injury, there was no hiding it from her. She could see it in the way he walked into her den, it was written all over his face like a deep gouge carved into the earth. Unmistakable for anything else. When you have been doing something for as long as Starlingheart has been it is hard to disguise such things. "Scorchfrost what- come in" she beckons to him with her tail, motioning to an empty nest from which she could treat him.

"Okay, what did- what did you do to it?" she asks, already pulling various herbs from her stores as she waits to hear his answer. How long had he been walking around in pain, she wonders. Some warriors in ShadowClan could be so stubborn, they would rather hide their injuries until they couldn't anymore, and that usually made her job so much harder than it needed to be. If they would just let her clean their wounds when they first happened they wouldn't get as infected, and she wouldn't have to use twice as many herbs as she would have if she had been able to just treat it in the first place.
EpC61GT.png

• PSgWDJV.jpeg

• 75214491_NhVBn1uSQsE4P99.png
    STARLINGHEART SHADOWCLAN MEDICINE CAT; SHE / HER ; SISTER TO PITCHSTAR, CHITTERTONGUE, NIGHTSWARM, SKUNKTAIL, AND LILACFUR. MOTHER TO NETTLEPAW, FLINTPAW AND GHOSTPAW.
    A skinny she cat with short black and white fur littered with scars and one singular green eye.
    Easy in battle + has little to no formal battle training

Scorchfrost knew he'd been had. He couldn't fib off an infection to get some herbs 'for a friend' or pretend like it didn't actually bother him that much. He'd already tried to tough it out, made himself limp through a patrol and training and just ended up worsening the whole.. situation. He'd gone as far as to try and treat it himself to no avail. There were many attempts before he gave in.

He responded to the beckons begrudgingly, lingering by the entrance to the den a few seconds beyond appropriate. So much for his perfect health. He half-seated himself in the nest, barely wanting to commit himself to it.

" It's not a big deal, Starlingheart. " He started, protesting before she'd even started to help. " It's just a bit of a scratch. " A scratch from a thorn he'd yanked out out, that was now hot to the touch and, evidently, mildly infected. He'd idle for a moment before sighing and lifting his paw to show the medicine cat. " Like I said, it's not a big deal. I just need some herbs and it'll be over with. "

A heavy sigh escapes her lips as Scorchfrost insists it's fine, nothing "I'll decide w-what's a bug deal and what's not" she says, her tone stern but light. The very same she would use whenever scolding one of her kits, though Scorchfrost was a good deal older than herself. She shakes her head slightly as she looks at the paw in question. Hot to the touch and yes, most definitely infected. "You'll have to stay off of it for a-a-a b-bit. Just-just until it uh it heals" she tells him as she reaches into her meticulously sorted shelves to pull out the herbs she would need to treat the wound.

"You gunna-gunna tell me what happened or is-is it a-a secret?" she asks, whiskers twitching in amusement before she takes a paw and scoops marigold and goldenrod into her mouth to chew into a poultice. When she's done, she spits the mixture out onto a cobweb and wraps it around the warrior's paw. While she works, it's clear by the way her ear twitches that she is waiting patiently for his answer.
EpC61GT.png

• PSgWDJV.jpeg

• 75214491_NhVBn1uSQsE4P99.png
    STARLINGHEART SHADOWCLAN MEDICINE CAT; SHE / HER ; SISTER TO PITCHSTAR, CHITTERTONGUE, NIGHTSWARM, SKUNKTAIL, AND LILACFUR. MOTHER TO NETTLEPAW, FLINTPAW AND GHOSTPAW.
    A skinny she cat with short black and white fur littered with scars and one singular green eye.
    Easy in battle + has little to no formal battle training

Scorchfrost, grumbling as though he were a cat far younger, matched Starlinghearts heavy sigh before giving his expected answer. " I'd gotten some thorn or something in my paw. I pulled it, must've not cleaned it well, and it wasn't too happy with going on patrols the past few days. " He knew that it wasn't the smartest thing to do, obviously, but it wasn't that big of a deal. He shouldn't've needed to waste Starlinghearts time and herbs with something as small as a thorn.

" I pull 'em without an issue usually but maybe I got dirt or somethin' in this one. " The idea of staying of his paw was an annoying one. He had the mental image of himself on patrol, three-pawed limping through the woods, for a second before shaking it away. That was more ridiculous than spending a day or two in camp. " You're killin' me here. " It was an overdramatic statement, mostly about the idea of lazing about, but also due to the cringing he couldn't suppress when his paw got touched.

" How long do I hafta stay off it? "