pass the candy corn | candy

Coyotecrest

sometimes I lose my way
Sep 7, 2022
I won't apologize for being who I am
Attentive green eyes watch as a patrol arrives from their daily activities near the twoleg place he has heard so much about. He has half a mind to ask if any of them have seen the evil monster that hurt Thistleback. But his attention is immediately directed to a shiny object tangled within a long-haired npc's coat. Intrigued the boy stands to cream dipped paws and wanders over, his head tipping to the side as if to get a better look at it along the way. Without saying so much as a word he invades the warrior's space placing his paws on the npc's side. Startled, the rosette tom tries to side step away from him but to no avail as Coyote keeps pace with him. "Get off me boy!" The warrior's disgusted glare and tone carries the same biting sting he has heard from other skeptical and fearful skyclanners. Frosty flecks of mint narrow, the bridge of his nose wrinkling in irritation as they meet raging amber. "Fine. I'll leave it on you then." The kitten retorts, allowing his paws to thump upon the ground. Bewildered, the tom turns to see what Coyote it blabbering about before seeing a shimmering flash of something.

"Ahh!" Spooked by the sudden shine the npc curls in on himself, lifting a paw to swat at the candy wrapped clinging to his pelt. With a soft crinkling sound the candy lands upon the ground and by the time Coyote looks up the warrior was already quickly walking away, embarrassment poofing out his coat. A scoff falls from his lips before looking back down, hesitantly tapping at the wrapper and watching the colorful contents shift around. He like the sound that it made the crinkling being as subtle or obnoxiously loud depending on the force he applied. With a grin dancing across his lips Coyote grasped his newfound toy in his maw and flung into air, chuckling when it hit the ground with another crinkle. "Hey Mossykit, come check this out!" He calls out to his sister, spotting her across the way. (@Mossystone. )
Tryna throw shade on me say a lot 'bout you

╭── ⋅ ⋅ ── ✩ ── ⋅ ⋅ ──╮

Blazestar sees the gleam from across camp, and for a moment he's rushed to a strange memory flavored with mystery even now -- to himself and Dawnglare beneath the earth, staring upon the Moonstone lit up with silvery fire. But this isn't the moonstone, nor even a piece -- he can tell from where he sits. Coyotekit picks the strange thing up, tossing it like it's any fun kit toy.

Blazestar pads over, a single ear twitching with discomfort. "What is that?" It's brilliantly silver, too-shiny -- the gloss it emits almost hurts his eyes. The massive flame point bends his head and gives the object a cautionary sniff. It's conflicting, a blend of chemicals and strange, cloying sweetness, and he wrinkles his nose. "Maybe we should bury it," he says, doubt clouding his voice. "What if it's... harmful?"

𝐵𝓊𝓉 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝓀𝓃𝑜𝓌, 𝐼 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝓌𝒶𝓃𝓉 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝒶𝓈 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝒶𝓇𝑒

Deersong was busy weaving her mother's broken stone fragments into a small project when a flashing light caught her attention out of the corner of her eye. Looking up from her work, she would smile in a dreamy fashion as she spotted brave Coyotekit playing with some two-leg thing he had found.

Pushing her project away for later, the molly would then turn and walk over to hear Blazestars' words and a purr of amusement would flow from her maw, "No need to bug out, Blazestar. I'm sure it's plenty harmless as long as no cat tries to eat it."

She would smile in her whimsical way towards Coyotekit as she took a seat and tilted her head, "Would it be ok if I played with you and your sister? It's been way too long since I've played with kits."

Shimmering with sunshine, the thing that sat there lurking upon the ground was alien- and thus panic-inducing. Fluffed up on edge, Twitchpaw regarded the thing from afar- then closer, closer, cautious. It was like a little eye, set upon the ground and observing them all, glimmering too-bright with nary a blink covering it. Wild-hearted, Coyotekit appeared not to care for its sinister status in stasis- rather, he ripped it from its socket upon the ground and threw it, whereupon it bounced much closer to him than he might have liked. Unsurprisingly, a yelp leapt from his maw.

Deersong laughed- laughed at Blazestar's well-founded caution, a tranquility that set his hackles off. "He put it in his MOUTH!" he screeched above the conversation, twisting it to clamour. "You- you need to go wash your paws off or something, we don't- we don't know where that's been!"

Paws made clumsy from the adrenaline of panic tumbled backward, almost toppling the bicolour tom. He hardly wanted to look at it anymore- it was staining his vision with its sheen, orange spots creating blind spots in the gleam. Stupid, weird, terrifying thing- why was it still here?
penned by pin ✧

• Haha
Reactions: Marquette

"SUREFIRE, YEAH, THE SETTING SUN WANTS COMPANY"
An irritating, ear-twitchingly familiar scratch caught Daisyflight's attention in an instant, her half-honeyed head swinging to find the source. A pair of greengage eyes, attenuated with exasperation, found the crinkle creator. Coyotekit had somehow snagged some sort of twoleg waste, toying with it nearby. The sight irked her, not for the kit's playing but by the memories the scratched gleam dredged forth.

Her life in the alleys had meant being surrounded by the like, typically it was in duller colours. Scented sweet, foul, painfully or not at all, the sheer variety of crunching waste the twolegs would leave about meant that even with her experience, she was unsure of the safety of the 'toy'.

"You're all likely right. If it's empty and dry playing with it isn't so bad but leaving one full of mystery muck can lead to an unpleasant experience." Too comfortable to physically intervene from her spot in the shade, Daisyflight let the comment drift from her downturned maw. She simply couldn't shake the memory of laying down one afternoon, having found a warm, dry spot of cardboard, only to wake up with a sticky mess on her side. A lesson she only had to learn once!

"Best to bury it, as Blazestar said" Haunted by the thought, her speech was strained. At least Twitchpaw showed righteous concern, though a little too passionately.

"AM I YOUR DREAM GIRL?"
The scene that unfolds before her is nothing short of comical. The child, Coyotekit, is playing with a small, sweet-scented object that Panther knows of from their twolegs’ home. Only Deersong seems to have a level head about the situation, while Blazestar, Twitchpaw, and Daisyflight all talk about it as though Coyotekit has found something dangerous.

They narrow their eyes and square their shoulders, staring down the object. "Pass it ‘ere. I’m gon' eat it if none a you’s gonna’ do it." With a gruff snort, the shadowed she-cat makes a swipe at the object—and misses, the shiny coating of the wrapper throwing off her aim. She bares her long fangs in a halfhearted, disappointed grunt. "C'mon, twolegs eat this shit alls the time, an' I ain’t seen none of ‘em die from it." They roll their eyes at the others around them—especially Blazestar, who is acting as though the thin is about to come to life and attempt to eat a child.
✦ ★ ✦

Coyotekit has something shiny.

Greenpaw doesn't know where he got it from, or what it is. However, he does know one thing - he wants it.

Viridescent eyes watch with envy as the kit throws it up in the air, as he offers it to his sibling. Greenpaw wants the shiny thing. It's his.

But, as the apprentice pads closer to investigate, to get a look at the gleaming object - the crinkly gleaming object - he sees the concerned crowd around him. Blazestar, his mother, Twitchpaw - they all think it's dangerous, that it should be buried. But, how could it be dangerous?

How could something so shiny - so pretty - harm them?

How unfun, if it winds up in the ground, its gleam stifled by layers of soil. Maybe Greenpaw will dig it back up when no one's looking?

But, Pantherpelt says she wants to eat it. Says she won't die. Greenpaw doesn't like that idea either - the eating of the shiny thing.

"If Pantherpelt's going to eat it, can I keep the shiny part?" Greenpaw asks, though the object wasn't his in the first place. It doesn't hurt to ask. It would look nice in his nest, right next to the insect shell Snowpaw had given to him.

I won't apologize for being who I am
The boy's eyes find the oceanic blue of his leader and he pauses for a moment to consider the ragdoll's question. Just what was this thing he happened to be playing with? "I...don't know. I just like the sound that it makes." Coyote admits honestly before shifting his attention Deersong, offering her a bright smile until he hears Blazestar's next stream of words. "Bury it?! But I...I just started having fun with it." He looks to Deersong with pleading eyes as the cream and mocha molly tries to calm their leader. In the meantime Twitchpaw shouts in his direction about how Coyotekit happened to grab the package. A small sigh falls from the boy's lips. "Calm down you're acting like I'm going to die." Lifting a paw he gives the candy wrapper a few quick taps, listening to it crunch and crinkle. "See? I'm fine." He utters with a shrug of his shoulders.

Daisyflight soon chimes in, voicing her concerns over the odd little thing he found so intriguing. A frown covers his maw. "I don't think it could be that dangerous. Couldn't I just-hey!" The cream tabby shouts mid sentence as he drags the wrapper closer to his belly, eyeing Pantherpelt with surprise. Did she really just try to steal his toy from him. Small ears then swivel in Greenpaw's direction and a twinge of annoyance builds within him. Everyone now wanted what he had. "Okay yeah...fine whatever, Pantherpelt can eat it and you can have the rest. But only after I'm done playing with Deersong." Coyote murmurs, smothering the feeling of disappointment before looking back at Deersong and lightly batting the candy package her way.
Tryna throw shade on me say a lot 'bout you