private POINT & LAUGH ⸝⸝₊・salmonshade

eImZnzu.png

Eveningkit's eyes scan the camp thoroughly from the taller rock she found earlier, and anyone who knows her would understand that this is not a good sign. Something's gotten into her head that she cannot scrape out until she's fulfilled whatever arbitrary task she settled on. Her face is serious, all tight lines and furrowed brows, and she might as well look intimidating if she were just a bit older.

She spots the smooth-colored pelt she's been looking for, and she's on her paws instantly.

"Hey!!" It's both a greeting and warning — a call to attention, a hey look at me right now. Eveningkit's neck cranes as she forces eye contact, looking up at Salmonshade like a particularly tasty piece of prey.

A beat. How did she want to say this again?

Oh, she knows. "Do you hate us?" There. All out in the open, no nonsense, straight to the point. That's how Smokestar and Lichentail tend to do it, right? Eveningkit puts the weight of her body from one side to another before straightening up once more. "You... you keep avoiding us- me and the other kits! Why?"

---

• eImZnzu.png
  • EVENINGKIT RIVERCLAN KIT
    ────── SHE/HER ✦ PENNED BY KARMEN ✦ 04/15
    ────── LICHENTAIL X HAZECLOUD
  •  @salmonshade

She needs to leave soon, begin another lesson with Riverpaw... He's off doing Stars know what, having had the morning off since Salmonshade had needed to go on a quick patrol a little bit prior to the sun raising. She wouldn't have wanted to wake him up in that hour... She's walking through camp when a little voice calls out.

Do you hate us? It comes as a surprise, a squeaky tone that Salmonshade knows belongs to Eveningkit. It stops her in her tracks, causing her to crane her head down at the little one with . "I don't... hate you guys." she hesitates, trying to find a glimpse of Hazecloud, or even Lichentail somewhere in the camp. Come get your kitten!

No help ever arrives or is spotted. She's on her own.

Eveningkit looks up to her with a particular expression that demands answers. "I don't hate you all," she repeats. "Just... haven't been assigned... to help... I've been busy with my apprentice." she struggles to respond and hopes Eveningkit is satisfied with her response despite the fact that it lacks in authenticity, despite the fact that the words feel flat. She doesn't want to get in to the nuances of why, she doesn't want to explain the fact that she feels out of place every single time she steps in to the nursery. She doesn't want to explain shes never been good with kits.

She doesn't want to explain at all.

• 70831649_t0YE8lpgGiTPlyS.png
    salmon ,, salmonshade
    cis female ,, she/her ,, 38 months
    warrior of riverclan ,, mentoring riverpaw
    fluffy & dainty chocolate tortie smoke with white, blue eyes
    "speech, fd9367" ,, thoughts
    lesbian ,, single
    smells like warm flowers & freshly cut grass
    chibi by pin ,, penned by chuff

Yellow eyes appear most scrutinizing as they peer up, up, up — why did some of the warriors have to be so tall? It makes her neck ache a little when she does it for too long... and given her love of bothering those busy paws, it happens quite a bit each and every day. Her head tips to one side, cheek fur brushing her own shoulder as she does so, Salmonshade's answer clearly going through some of the gears in her head.

"Oh," is what she says, initially. There is no heat in that simple word, no tension between her eyebrows. Perhaps it makes Salmonshade relax and believe for a moment that she is off the hook...

But then Eveningkit's head shoots back up to the center. "But- but you were avoiding us even when you were assigned to help!" It almost sounds like she is reasoning with herself too. She hadn't just imagined that, right? Or is Salmonshade just... like that? She doesn't even want to dwell deep within the implications of her apprentice. Jealousy threatens to overcome her right then and there, thinking of Riverpaw and Pebblepaw already living their best lives outside the confines of the nursery.