camp pray so- i dont | investigating starclan

Jun 28, 2022

THIS WEIGHT ON MY NECK MAKES IT HARD TO CONNECT
It had been in the very fringes of his vision, an ashen ripple that clutched at his mind every passing day. Emberstar, crushed in a sudden smash of flaming branches. It had been so brutal- final. And yet the leader walked among them still. Sloepaw had heard the mutters of her supposed first death, taken by their medicine cat. He had been a new joiner, and assumed the tales to be just that. Stories. Bedazzled spirits and omnipotent prophecies.

The reincarnation talk held far more merit now. Maybe Starclan did exist- did intervene. He wanted to be certain. Most of the clan flocked to the brighter, drier spots in camp. Sloepaw preferred to sit adjacent, out of the way and within earshot, but today he plodded down to sit with the rest.

"Starclan, right? It's... cats in the sky, that give warnings and revive the dead?" The teak tom spoke evenly, carefully even. Any reverence shown amongst the clan was inconsistent and Sloepaw was afraid of offending them. He still felt his kittypet roots most days.

/ i meant to post this ages ago but got busy so sorry that its a little less relevant

( ) The flame hued tabby would flick her tail in greeting as Howling Wind's apprentice joined them to start a conversation. Her head would tilt slightly, and her eyes would narrow slightly. "Starclan? Wait, so there are six clans...I thought there were only five?" the new warrior asked slowly, glancing around to see if anyone would add on. Cats in the sky? That seemed outrageous to her. She had agreed with everything she had learned here so far, but this...this was a new one.
( I'LL SLEEP WHEN I'M DEAD ; YOU CAN BURY ME )

StarClan. The supposed spirits of the deceased cats who lived up in the sky, united under one clan. Flycatcher admittedly was not the most devout of believers in them, having little in the way of proof to claim they existed. Still, it was nice to believe that there was somewhere they would all go when their lives drew to a close, that they would linger in the stars and look down on the generations that would come after them. It was nice to think that whatever bloody end his parents and sisters might have met that they now walked among the stars, watching over him as they always had. And perhaps...watching over Moth too, wherever she might be. "They're not a clan in the same sense as the forest clans," Flycatcher told Flamewhisker, speaking in a soft tone. "They are a clan of our deceased friends and family, whose lives were lost in the Great Battle or the wars that came before." His green eyes then shift to Sloepaw who had spoken first. "Supposedly, yes. I mean Emberstar is proof enough of that with the life Cinderfrost took from her and yet she still walks among us."

The blue mink ignored the pointed stares stirred from the conversation. "Emberstar also lost a life during the fire. A branch fell on her." One that the medicine cat had managed to shift long enough for the leader to scramble out from beneath. It stole the abilities of her paws, nerves forever damaged by the deep burns, and left reminders along her shoulder blades. Apparently, no one knew of the heroics displayed that day. But that was fine. "It appears that the main cause of the injury is healed. However, if the same circumstances continue, then it could result in the loss of additional lives. Mere speculation, though."

Although her voice remained nonchalant and neutral, her stomach churned. "StarClan walks in our dreams. That's how they summoned me to the moonstone. The dreams are cryptic and vague. For example, I dreamed consistently of the forest, sounds of thunder, and crackling embers. But when I touched the moonstone... I walked among the dead. Only the clan leaders and medicine cats, along with their apprentices, have this strong of a connection." Hare Whiskers entrusted her with a fate that she'd severely misinterpreted. Waking up next to Emberstar hadn't been laid out as an opportunity. Instead, it had been a mere coincidence. Or, so it seemed considering their disapproval. Why ThunderClan of all clans?

"They first appeared in the midst of the Great Battle. Cats who we saw die in front of us appeared with the night sky in their coats and stardust around their paws. Ask anyone who had partaken in the battle that day. Sure, it could be considered a case of mass hysteria but their guidance brought forth the five clans. Without them, the clans may have never formed." The two colonies had been far too divided to ever truly reach peace amongst themselves. "There had been a full moon that night, which is why the gatherings take place beneath the moon when it is at its brightest."

She added to Flycatcher's response, "Whenever a cat from the clans dies, they join StarClan. There are no territories or border disputes up there." StarClan was about acceptance and forgiveness... something she hadn't fully grasped. Stars, she still struggled with it.​

WE'VE BEEN DOIN' ALL THIS LATE NIGHT TALKIN' ✧
StarClan. A group of cats that live amongst the stars, watching their every move. Fireflykit couldn't believe the invasion of his own privacy when his mother told him about them, in fact, he had pouted for nights over it. Would they judge their every action? Fireflykit pondered that, asking people questions constantly. If he stayed under the trees, he could hide from their gazes.

Eyes shut against the light, he walks over to the talking cats and seats himself beside Cinderfrost, tail flicking. How could he contribute to this? The molly beside him smelled faintly of herbs and ashes, though he doesn't question her. That would be rude, wouldn't it?

"Do you think they see everything?" He asks curiously, closed eyes fluttering as he turns his towards the cats present. "Whattabout our own privacy? Do they have to watch me make dirt, or something?" Surely they only watched those that mattered most, right?

THIS WEIGHT ON MY NECK MAKES IT HARD TO CONNECT
Hearing Flamewhisker’s immediate confusion settled him slightly- at least he wasn’t the only one in the dark. As Flycatcher’s explanation began to unravel, the apprentice leant forward with interest. The warrior was trustworthy enough to be sure he wasn’t pulling his leg. So in tune with the words being spoken, Sloepaw missed Cinderfrost’s approach.

’Also’… Emberstar also lost a life in the fire. Pierced with a needle and tied tight, he stopped taking in air. Confirmation, so unapologetic, was an unexpected side effect of this conversation. He had heard the rumours, sought them out even, but to hear it from the cat in question was a surprise. To mask his tumult, the goose-pelt tom mumbled out a quick, "Uh, yeah I saw that one. In the middle of camp. "

The information that followed was heavy with unfamiliarity. Dreams? That mattered? Sloepaw was a fan of sleep, but the thought of having the dead walk through his rest elicited a sour expression cast to the sky. Not for the first time, he was glad to be of unimportance. Staying down seemed a lot easier than dealing with whatever put you there. While all of it was far-fetched, and being told by a cat he’d rather avoid, he supposed it made sense. It was the only way to explain Emberstar’s… permanence.

Fireflykit was asking the real questions though. With a strained smile, the tom nodded along with the night-tipped kit. "Hope not, that would be awkward. You end up dead and you’re up there with cats that’ve seen your worst?" Sloepaw exasperatedly shook his head.

/sorry for the late response!

☀ - WHILST MY HEART STILL BEATS
"Heh! No, don't worry, StarClan doesn't watch us when using the dirtplace, they're more modest than that. I strongly believe that StarClan watches only your actions; good or bad, it doesn't matter. It all serves a purpose, even when we don't understand the message." Sunnyday spoke up as he made his approach after overhearing the conversation from a short distance away. He had his own view on StarClan, almost preachy if he was honest which was why he tended to keep his views to himself. He didn't make any comment about Emberstar's lost lives, or that Cinderfrost had been behind taking one. Strangely he wasn't overly appalled by it, but then again he viewed that entire incident as being StarClan's way of proving their power. Many might have remained naysayers if they hadn't witnessed the miracle, so surely it had all been part of StarClan's great plan, right? ​