camp PRETTY AND KIND [✦] fresh-kill

There isn’t a single glint of disappointment in her mentor’s demeanor as they return to camp. Sparrowpaw doesn’t think the usually dissatisfied tom has ever been this proud of her, as she carries home the rabbit she’d caught in their earlier outing.

She still can’t believe it - her first catch! Finally. A means of worry for what felt like her whole apprenticeship is now lifted from her - another part of her training completed. Becoming a warrior feels more tangible than ever - like it truly will be any day now.

Go set that on the fresh-kill pile,” Clawtail urges her upon their return, a dusty muzzle motioning to the heap. The brown tabby nods her head, splitting off from her mentor and toward the pile to deposit her contribution for the first time ever. Though it is her first, though she feels proud of herself for finally completing what other apprentices have, she chooses not to boast: a milestone made late, Sparrowpaw isn’t sure if showing off now - moons after most - will bring any congratulations forth, so why share the news?

Mismatched paws come to a stop at the kill pile’s edge, and she leans forward to carefully set down her kill among it. Hopefully, there will be many more to come after this catch, now that she's leaped over the obstacle that was her first.

// continuation of this oneshot​

Pink-kit knew about the freshkill pile. ‘Course she did. But she stayed up for ages and ages every night wondering how the prey in the prey pile even got there. Cats stole from it like, all the time. And then she’d look away – and like magic, all the prey was back again! Pink-kit wonders why no one talks about this! And then she realized – because it was a secret everyone knew except her! She was so mad, she almost ripped up all the soft stuff in the nursery. Why keep secrets? Unless it was a secret only for her, then secrets are pretty great.

But anyways, Pink-kit’s very important mission of today is watching the pile. She stares at it very seriously, and when the mysterious prey - putter comes along, Pink-kit shrieks a very loud: " YOU! " It’s one of the only words she can say pretty confidently right now, so she had to say it with every fiber of passion in her being. Right now, Pink-kit doesn’t have the good words to give the very impressive speech she would like to give. In lieu of this, Pink-kit scrutinizes the mystery - doer, making very satisfied hm hm hm sounds, like she was super duper impressed with her own detective skills ( because she was ). " Yuh know... cats steal from you? EVERY DAY? " Pink-kit delivers this news very shockingly. If she were her, she'd guard the freshkill pile for life and beat up anyone who came near to teach them a lesson!

•  
  • NOTE: SHE IS A FEVER COAT BABY!
    I3iy2hK.png
  • ( I MISS YOU, IT'S MAGIC! ) PINK-KIT KIT OF WINDCLAN. DAUGHTER TO BRIGHTSHINE & HEAVY SNOW. SISTER TO HEATHKIT, DOWNYKIT, & FINCHKIT.
    —— SHE / HER; UNOPPOSED TO THE USE OF OTHERS
    —— CURRENTLY 2 MOONS OLD. AGES EVERY 16TH

A tiny, longhaired calico she - kit with yellow eyes, ringed blue around her pupils (sectoral heterochromia). While you can clearly see her flame markings on her face, the rest of her body is currently covered by a grey fever - coating. Though the whites of her are still very much visible. Pink-kit bounces around WindClan without a care in the world! Her emotions are big, and she makes little effort to regulate them, resulting in both her usually cheerful disposition, as well as making her prone to sudden bouts of extreme anger or sadness. Rarely seen without a smile!
    HEAVY IC OPINIONS! Pink-kit is a very irrational and childish character!​

Pinkkit seems to be confused about the purpose of the prey pile, and while the cinnamon-striped tunneler can understand the naïvety of kits, that doesn’t mean the shrieking isn’t irritating. Dainty paws carry the she-cat over to her clanmates, and she stares narrow-eyed down at the kit. "Well, it’s not exactly stealing," she says to the kit, though in her tone it sounds a lot like Are you stupid? as she looks over the younger feline.

"We share our prey with one another," she continues, her voice much gentler now. She doesn’t know how to even begin to explain to the kit that the clan must share their prey in order to survive. (Does the kit believe that one cat has been feeding all of them?) She turns to face the apprentice, a smile lighting up her face. "How was the hunting, Sparrowpaw? It’s been horrible for me, you wouldn’t even believe it!" It has been awful for her, personally, and so she can only assume that it is the same for others.
[ my materials in pyre ]

Sparrowpaw nearly jumps out of her fur as shouts are suddenly sent her way, just as her rabbit lands among the pile. Brown ears twitch, her eyes wide as she looks up. Had she done something wrong? Placed her catch in the wrong spot, too close to the successes of more experienced hunters?

She expects to meet the face of a scowling warrior, but finds herself having to look lower than her gaze expects - down at the fever-flecked Pinkkit instead. The kit breaks news to her - a matter-of-fact hardly true outside of a kit’s perspective, Sparrowpaw supposes, and she blinks in response. Did you know cats steal from you?

They do…?” Sparrowpaw echoes, before glancing back at the fresh-kill pile - as if she has a reason to believe there is truth in Pinkkit’s discovery. There isn’t, of course; that would require Sparrowpaw to have caught more than the rabbit that currently sits among the pile, wouldn’t it? She opens her mouth, tries to find the words to explain the concept of the kill-pile, of hunting for the clan, but Hummingbirdheart arrives to speak for her.

The brown tabby nods her head, frosted muzzle shutting as she listens to the tunneler’s explanation. “Everyone… Everyone has to eat,” she adds on, “Some cats aren’t able to hunt for themselves, so we hunt for them and the rest of the clan. We share the work, so we share the food.” Did that make sense to the kit? She hopes so, hopes she hadn’t confused Pinkkit even more than she seems to already be. Hummingbirdheart speaks once more, and an amber gaze flickers back toward her.

Oh, uhm…” Sparrowpaw shifts her paws, motioning toward her catch - an acknowledgment to it she hadn’t expected to make and one she downplays. “It was okay. I uh… I caught a rabbit.

Well, it’s not exactly stealing, ” Wait, really? Pink-kit looks at the weird skinny cat with big eyes, this news incredible to her. “ We share our prey with one another, ” Ack! That’s so lame! And Pink-kit thought Heavy Snow must be doing amazing feats of sneaking to get prey for her and her siblings and Brightshine and everyone! She guesses she shouldn’t have thought that since Heavy Snow is like the least sneaky cat in the world. It would’ve been amazing if he was, though… So if they didn’t do “sharing,” they would all go hungry! Pink-kit’s face is one of shock as she realizes this.

Everyone has to eat… ” Yes, she supposes this is true. Pink-kit nods along thoughtfully. Brightshine would totally die forever! The grown - up conversation about how the hunting is (?) is kind of lost on her. Pink-kit ignores it in favor of loudly asking more questions. " If I got rabbit. A rabbit... " Pink-kit spreads her forepaws as widely apart as she can. " –thiiiiis big. S'not mine? I can't eat it? "

•  
  • NOTE: SHE IS A FEVER COAT BABY!
    I3iy2hK.png
  • ( I MISS YOU, IT'S MAGIC! ) PINK-KIT KIT OF WINDCLAN. DAUGHTER TO BRIGHTSHINE & HEAVY SNOW. SISTER TO HEATHKIT, DOWNYKIT, & FINCHKIT.
    —— SHE / HER; UNOPPOSED TO THE USE OF OTHERS
    —— CURRENTLY 2 MOONS OLD. AGES EVERY 16TH

A tiny, longhaired calico she - kit with yellow eyes, ringed blue around her pupils (sectoral heterochromia). While you can clearly see her flame markings on her face, the rest of her body is currently covered by a grey fever - coating. Though the whites of her are still very much visible. Pink-kit bounces around WindClan without a care in the world! Her emotions are big, and she makes little effort to regulate them, resulting in both her usually cheerful disposition, as well as making her prone to sudden bouts of extreme anger or sadness. Rarely seen without a smile!
    HEAVY IC OPINIONS! Pink-kit is a very irrational and childish character!​