push away the unimaginable | return

Coyotecrest

sometimes I lose my way
Sep 7, 2022

Adrenaline had long since departed his battered frame, leaving in its wake a sense of heavy exhaustion and throbbing pain. Although agony riddled his body it could not compare to the gaping hole in his heart. He'd failed. His search cut short by a madman desperate to end his life. If only he'd ignored the stranger and kept going. Then perhaps he could've stumbled across another clue to his daughter's whereabouts. However, fate was fickle and did not deem him worthy of success in his endeavor. Tired paws stagger, tripping over themselves as his vision twists and blurs. His breath is ragged as he inched closer toward camp, of home. A destination he wouldn't have been blessed to see if he lingered a moment longer within twoleg place.

The pounding headache ceased to stop even after he took a moment to stop and rest. Sleep beckoned like a sweet siren's song, tempting him to lay his head down. Blood wept from his wounds, painting the earth below in macabre shades of crimson as trembling limbs struggled to hold him up. Beyond the fog of his mind, he notes a shadow stretching closer. Strength sapped he cannot find the will to lift his head and instead focuses on piecing together a string of words. "I couldn't find her..." He wheezed, ears flattening as that realization came crashing down all over again. He'd broken his promise. How could he face Howlfire or his children after that?

(Just a quick note that Coyote never made it inside camp he's right outside the entrance, anyone could stumble upon him though!)
̶̶̶̶  «̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ «̶ ̶̶̶   skyclan warrior / twenty-two moons old / he/him  ̶ ̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ »̶ ̶̶̶  

It had taken Daisypaw a bit of time to actually accept the fact that he would have to leave camp now. It was with his mentor, and it was during the day, and so he had decided that things would be fine - they wouldn't come across that adder again and even if they did he'd have Figfeather there with him to help protect him from the snake. She was a strong warrior, had even been promoted to lead and that was enough for him to willingly step outside of camp this time instead of hesitating at the entrance.

The scene he saw as the small patrol of cats that he was with took their few short steps into the territory made it so that he no longer wanted to be outside of camp once more. If so many bad things were going to happen every time he left camp why should he leave it at all. "I-it's Coyotecrest!" A gasp would leave the newly apprenticed feline as he moved forward slightly, pausing in his steps as the scent of blood finally reached him and the wheezing of the warrior's voice caught his ears. "I'll um... I'll go get Fireflypaw!" It was a small declaration as he quickly turned around and head back inside the camp, ears pinned to his head as words quickly stumbled from his maw when he found the blind apprentice.
  • mentor tag @FIGFEATHER , getting @Fireflypaw !
  • 74552753_0pIQpDakQalkZSq.png
  • 77846082_BNFJiMhnYwpfeBr.png
    SH blue w/low white & blue eyes
    cannot properly control emotions
    born november 8, 2023. ages realistically
    sexuality unknown ; interested in no one
    adopted by Butterflytuft and Dandelionwish
    brother to Weedpaw and Fluffypaw
    easy to befriend ; easy to upset
    "speech", thoughts, attacking
    peaceful powerplay allowed

Figfeather is only mouse-lengths behind Daisypaw when she hears him gasp, 'i-it's Coyotecrest!' She can hardly believe her ears. Emerging from the gorse tunnel she sees Daisypaw and sure enough, Coyotecrest, collapsed on the ground. "Good StarClan, Coyotecrest! We were expecting your return sunrises ago." She exclaims, moving to stand beside him.

A nod of approval is given to Daisypaw as he heads off to grab Fireflypaw. The cream tabby is battered and bruised, blood knotting clumps of his fur. "What did this to you?" She asks, leaning in to gently lick at one of his wounds. Drawing back his words finally settle in, 'I couldn't find her...' Figfeather's heart throbs and she has to repress the urge to release a mournful yowl. "Oh... friend, none of us could have. You did what you could... but she's gone." She meows mournfully, a frown unfolding on her face before pressing her nose to Coyotecrest's forehead sympathetically. The red tabby can only imagine the pain they felt if her heart ached this much.
  • » Figfeather
    » SkyClan Lead Warrior
    » She/her . AMAB
    » Sire to Sangriakit & Coffeekit
    » Mentoring Daisypaw
    » A red tabby she-cat with a mangled leg.
    » ”Speech”thoughtsattack
  • » A foe in battle whose ability to strategize can shift tides.
    » Excels in strategizing and pre-planning her battles.
    » Fights defensively and to aid her clan to victory.
    » May powerplay minor harm. Can powerplay healing

The wait for Coyotecrest's return had been nigh on unbearable. When he had not returned after a few sunsets, panic and dread began to bloom in Howlfire's stomach, though she was adamant not to show it in front of her kits, wanting to remain strong for them in the wake of their sister's disappearance and father vanishing.

When she hears Daisypaw's voice, Howlfire practically barrels her way out of camp, determined to see her mate again. "Coyotecrest!" She calls delight and relief in her voice. The torbie nearly knocks over some of the warriors in her effort to reach him. When she gets to his side, she butts her head against his fiercely, glad that he is back. "Don't leave me like that again," She warns him with a gentle tone. When she steps back, concern crosses her features as she looks at him and acknowledges the injuries he bears. Howlfire's defeated expression mirrors his own when he mutters that he couldn't find her. She had expected as much, of course, but it still hurt to hear those words out loud. To know that Wolfpaw was lost to them for now. "I know you would have done everything you could to find her..." Howlfire mewed, briefly looking in Figfeather's direction when she uttered similar words.

Daisypaw is gone in a flash, rushing back to the protective tunnel to fetch Fireflypaw before he has time to lift his head. However, he is not left alone. Figfeather joins his side, sharing his pain as his brow creases further. While her words were true, they were not what he wished to hear. Wolfpaw was gone, but he still felt he could have done more. His voice vanishes momentarily as he responds with a mournful nod, only to find it again once another question is prompted. "Some rogue...down in Twolegplace. A dark tom with orange patches." The battered warrior rasped, touching the bloody and tender bite around his throat. "He attacked me unprovoked. Our patrols should be weary of him." He still couldn't understand the other's sudden flare of aggression. But he'd made it out of the ordeal alive and that's all that mattered.

Howlfire's voice is a soothing balm to his tattered heart. Cool mint lifts to meet olive green as she runs to him. Despite the constant pang pulsing within his skull, the cream warrior leans into the torbies fierce affection. "I'm sorry..." He whispers in the wake of her chastisement. It was a pathetic attempt at an apology. Although the execution was sorely lacking that did not make it any less sincere. as he pulled back to look at her with grief-filled eyes.
̶̶̶̶  «̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ «̶ ̶̶̶   skyclan warrior / twenty-three moons old / he/him  ̶ ̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ »̶ ̶̶̶  

Absently, the dappled cat sat within the trenches of his own thoughts. Tail lashing at their side and head low with the weight of misery. Commotion dragged the tabby from his distracting memories and back to the present. Alert and concerned, the scarred feline followed after Howlfire's mad dash to the camp's entrance. Pushing through the thicket, his good eye landed on the battered frame of Coyotecrest, who was being gently leaned up against his mate and Figfeather. Eagerly, he looked around, hoping to spot Wolfpaw in the excitement but to no avail.

Through all the terribleness of the last couple of days, it seemed there would be no end. The lead's hopeful expression sagged in defeat. He could see in Coyotecrest's own exhausted body language that the tom had done everything plausible. Mention of an aggressive stranger at the two-legs' place piqued the tabby's interest. A dark, brooding suspicion nagged at the back of the cinnamon feline's mind. Yet, they wouldn't dare entertain such thoughts in the presence of clanmates.

Swallowing down the rising anxieties, he retorted calmly, aiming to focus on what was more important. "I'm glad you're back and safe, Coyotecrest." They visibly winced, getting a clear view of the fresh wounds littering his pelt. Grief stricken gaze enough to dry their throat. Firmly they rasp a promise to the gathered cats. "I'll take some warriors to the border once Fireflypaw gets you fixed up. I want to make sure he didn't try to follow you here." He didn't like the sound of this attacker, and with all the injuries and deaths going around, they couldn't take any chances. A pang of longing itched at their heart, but his concerned features gave none of it away.

• mobile post

• ✧ LH cinnamon tabby high white blue eye
    npc x npc ; sibling to crescent and bear
    ✧ skyclan lead warrior ; ex-loner
    ✧ 34 moons old ; birthday 07/01
    ✧ AFAB ; nonbinary ; he/they
    ✧ pansexual ; polyromantic ; single
    "speech", thought, attack, powerplay
    ✧ peaceful powerplay allowed
    ✧ penned by tasmagoric

Last edited: