private PUT TO THE TEST [Sunstride]

IMG_0990.png

SOOTSTAR
Parenthood was a blessing. Even a cat like Sootstar held such an opinion. As a mother herself she felt her kits had given her another reason to live, another reason to pursue her dreams, another reason to rule so that one day it may just be passed down into their paws.

Somedays she wishes for more, another litter, more kits to raise into fine WindClan warriors… but for now she resigns. Being a leader took all of her focus and she would be lying if she said pregnancy had been a pleasant expirence for her. At least she could live through her clan-mates, many of them having kits for the very first time. Wolfsong and Sunstride included.

Sootstar finds herself sitting next to the rosette tom near the fresh-kill pile. Her throat is hoarse from sickness, but the lungwort Wolfsong had given her allowed her to be on the mend. ”Is Wolfsong eager for the kitting?” She asks, it was an exciting but nervewracking ordeal. A lot could go wrong, she tries not to think of it.

Fruitlessly she tries to clear her throat, ”He’s getting close to the finish line, isn’t he? And what of you? Eager to have kits of your own?”
IMG_0583.gif
  • @SUNSTRIDE :)
  • » SootSootstar
    » WindClan Leader
    » She/her ․ Mate to Weaselclaw
    » Tiny blue smoke she-cat with green eyes.
    » "Speech"thoughtsattack
  • » A high-stamina foe who can be difficult to hit.
    » Excels in quick, short moves.
    » Fights to kill and maim
    » Fatal attack of choice is an underbelly dive.
    » May powerplay minor harm. Can powerplay healing

Speaking to Sootstar had never ceased in its strangeness. Though he had spent many moons since his arrival proving his strength and devotion to her, she remained the queen of the moors and founder of this clan. Unlike his tie to his father which offered him room to speak, even with sharpened tongue, she is not family. Not blood. Even if they have spilt and shared some between them, his own crescent scar marking his chest, it is not a bond. Not yet. He startles some at the sight of her– part for her strange proximity, and part in instinctive fear. Wolfsong had treated them both. They were on the mend. He reminds himself of this, and forcibly relaxes. A low chuckle betrays his answer before he can find words for it.

"He is certainly stronger than I in this, as in most things. He is so round I fear he would float if RiverClan were to drag him to their waters, or that these stormy winds would pull him across the moors." The corners of his eyes crinkle gently. He had not spoken of it much. His silence on the matter did not strike him until just then. Did his clanmates think him callous, or withdrawn? Did they think it did not affect him as greatly as it did? He wishes he had the strength to shout his joy from atop Sootstar's sacred meeting place, suddenly. To hop onto their place at Fourtrees and speak it so loudly even the stars would hear his declaration.

Of course, Sunstride will do no such thing. "I think I am even more nervous than he. We have not done this before, and yet...his body knows its strength, I think." A small beat. "Was it this way for you, when your first were born?"
border2.png

• ooc:
  • SUNSTRIDE. named for his coloration and his bold chasing of fate.
    —— cis male, he - him. approx. 40 moons old. lead warrior of windclan + former rogue.
    —— gay, monogamous. mate to wolfsong from 07.05.2023.  npc x npc, no larger family.
    —— has recently regained some of his earlier lightness, but maintains his steady facade.

sunstride is broad and bold– a creature standing above most of windclan, though not a beast beyond its borders, with fur that flames red and deepens to a burnt amber with every whorl and stripe. his eyes, in comparison, are a pale summer's blue, still as bold as the rest of him.
  • "speech"

IMG_0990.png

SOOTSTAR
Sunstride's humor manages to get a rare laugh from her, the sound was almost unheard of. More often than not, Sootstar didn't get the jokes cats made or even more common, didn't find them amusing. It was difficult to not find humor in the image of Wolfsong floating safely in the river thanks to the added buoyance of kits.

Then he confides in her more seriously, he is nervous. She nods understandingly.

"I've never heard of a first-time parent not being nervous. Bringing kits into the world is never easy." She says, recalling her own anxieties. Her second litter had been even mor unusual with extra bleeding and their births being so far apart from one another... Hopefully Wolfsong would not have to endure labor for as long as she had.

When the rosette tom inquires about her own experience she nods, "Similar, yes. I was not given a lot of time to be nervous for them, however. I was expecting them during the Great Battle, I was focused on fighting and then creating my clan." She confesses. "But when I got a moment of piece and quiet, the worries about kitting flooded my mind. Once it happened it turned out well, my kits bring me pride."

Looking into Sunstride's blue gaze she meows, "Wolfsong is lucky to have you, many queens are not to lucky to have a mate by their side to help. You two will make it through this with strong and healthy kits at your paws to show for it." It was her best attempt at offering support, StarClan knows she is not very good at it.
IMG_0583.gif
  • » SootSootstar
    » WindClan Leader
    » "Speech"thoughtsattack

It had not occurred to him, how those pieces of his knowledge had clashed. That Sootstar's kits had been the first of WindClan, of any clan at all, and that the clans were formed so shortly after the battle. He knew, and yet– she speaks of her focus during that fragile time, and in a way he is shattered. Pale eyes widen softly, and Sunstride regards their leader with a new light. "I had not thought of the battle," he slowly admits, perhaps to explain the way with which he stares at her now. He imagines how it would feel to see her fight in such a state. They did not carry Weaselclaw's blood, the time of their promise to one another was wrong, yet he cannot help but put himself within her mate's eyes. If it had been Wolfsong beneath those looming trees, shedding blood while their family grew within the confines of his wounded body, he thinks that he might have shattered entirely.

"You are even stronger than I had once thought, to raise both children and a clan around you. I had not thought it possible to respect your achievements more than I already had." When he first came to this clan, he had been cautious. The promise he had made to her beneath StarClan those many moons ago had been from the lying tongue of an uncertain cat. Having come here to forge his own path, he had not thought it wise to promise himself to another's way without some means of escape. If not from her, then at least from his own guilt of vows broken. Now, though this path was still his own, he does not regret what he had said.

Her confidence in them is a boon and blessing both. Sunstride exhales a breath he did not know he was holding, the noise quite nearly a laugh. "They may be cursed with my strength before my speed, but they will have his wit. It will be enough to make this clan proud of them. I am glad that they will not carry the burden of where we had been before. There is enough of that on my own shoulders; they do not need to carry it."
border2.png

• ooc:
  • SUNSTRIDE. named for his coloration and his bold chasing of fate.
    —— cis male, he - him. approx. 40 moons old. lead warrior of windclan + former rogue.
    —— gay, monogamous. mate to wolfsong from 07.05.2023.  npc x npc, no larger family.
    —— has recently regained some of his earlier lightness, but maintains his steady facade.

sunstride is broad and bold– a creature standing above most of windclan, though not a beast beyond its borders, with fur that flames red and deepens to a burnt amber with every whorl and stripe. his eyes, in comparison, are a pale summer's blue, still as bold as the rest of him.
  • "speech"

IMG_0990.png

SOOTSTAR
Sootstar would be lying if she had said the praise was not welcomed nor soaked up. She resists puffing out her chest fur in pride for herself and her achievements, she was proud of all she’s created. ”I am grateful for your praise, Sunstride. It’s warriors such as yourself who’ve helped me along the way.” She meows as gratefully she can muster.

Sootstar does not know much about where Wolfsong and Sunstride hailed from before. The rogue group was a given, but it was well known they came even further back than that. ”I am happy WindClan can provide a safe home for your kits.” Meows Sootstar with a dip of her head, ”You both came from a different group- before the rogue group, yes?” She decides to inquire. ”I don’t think we’ve ever spoken on it. Why did you leave- if it’s not prying too much?”
IMG_0583.gif
  • » SootSootstar
    » WindClan Leader
    » "Speech"thoughtsattack

✦  .   ˚ .   It is here that he hesitates. His paws fold one over another, padded width spread out in an uneasy flex. There is nothing to hide amidst her question, and yet still he is reluctant to think of it. It was moons ago now, and he is a newly forged creature in this land. "I came here seeking a life of my own– and I am glad to have found it within WindClan, rather than the rogues that came before." A simplified beginning to his story, or perhaps a neat end to it. A truth, but not the full of it. Thinking back on it now, what even was the truth? His father had once looked upon him so shortly after his eyes first opened, and even if he could not remember the moment in its entirety, the sensation of glowing pride had never left him. His father had loved him.

He, in his own infinite wisdom, had left him. Such is the way of sons, he supposes. (He thinks of Weaselclaw, that day at the sunwarmed pools, and smiles ruefully to himself for the briefest of moments.) "My fate was not to be tied to his. I knew that far before I left those mountains. He loved me, I can see that now, yet demanded far more of me than I was willing to give. Not in a way that a leader asks of their followers, or even a father to a son." After his voice trails off, Sunstride shakes his head. "Perhaps I was always meant to come here when I had."
border2.png

• OOC.
  • ✦  .   ˚ .  SUNSTRIDE. FORMERLY SUNNVAR. HE - HIM - HIS OR THEY - THEM. LEAD WARRIOR OF WINDCLAN. 4 YEARS OLD. PENNED BY REVELATIONS.  ——————
    sunsquare2.png
    ——  a tall auburn tabby with thick fur and bright glacial eyes. sunstride is broad and bold– a creature standing above most of windclan, though not a beast beyond it, with fur that flames red and deepens to a burnt amber with every stripe. his eyes, in comparison, are a pale summer's blue, still as bold as the rest of them. he radiates confidence and self-assured authority.

✦ NPC x NPC. DECEASED MOTHER, ESTRANGED FATHER. NO LITTERMATES. MATE TO WOLFSONG. FATHER TO BEARKIT, SINGEDKIT, RIVEKIT, SUNLITKIT, AND FEATHERKIT ——
  • "speech"

IMG_0990.png

SOOTSTAR
Sootstar comes to a slow understanding. She wore an ironfist even with her children, she expected them to be nothing less than perfect, but she jumps to the conclusion this father Sunstride spoke of must’ve done something wrong. That she couldn’t possibly be the same type of parent- and maybe she wasn’t.

”Fathers are difficult.” She agrees with a nod, some empathy shone in her eyes. ”My father raised my sisters and I very firmly. I remember hating him, but as a mother now I’ve realized he had just wanted what was best for me.” Often she wonders if he too frowned down at her from StarClan, he had not expressed much pleasure in her work when he had visited her before.

She turns and looks at Sunstride, ”But some fathers go too far… Inspite of the hardships of your past I’m grateful they led Wolfsong and you to WindClan. Your clan values you both.” A rare, vague smile is creased on her lips.
IMG_0583.gif
  • » SootSootstar
    » WindClan Leader
    » "Speech"thoughtsattack