private put your ear against my heart or set your teeth against my throat | training with tension

Patchpaw [in.]

i pray we meet again soon
Oct 4, 2022
THERE'S A WORLD THAT WAS MEANT FOR OUR EYES TO SEE

The truth had come out. An apprentice’s corpse had been discovered on ThunderClan soil, long buried and without a name to mark its grave.

What a way to die.

As Patchpaw faced Rabbitnose now, chest still heaving with the effort of having to learn new battling techniques, she was reminded of this fact, and she has never been so on-edge with her own mentor in the entire time she’s been his apprentice as she is now, toes digging into the sand and ears folded halfway back. While she talked to him like normal, answered his small talk with relative ease and acted as though nothing had happened, she’s fully aware he knows.
It didn’t help matters that she’s a piss-poor fighter, struggling to even knock her own mentor off of her. She had a long way to go before she’d ever be able to gain what she has long since fallen behind on.

And yet, Patchpaw hadn’t said a single word since they arrived at the Sandy Hollow. Her eyes lost their sunset-colored luster even as she’s focusing on him, and the scars that disfigure her face couldn’t be more prominent than they were now.
She knew he could see them, plain and clear.

Everyone could. Everyone. A lethal reminder of what came to be, Kuiper’s threat leaving a brutal example of what could have turned for the worse.

And yet… here she was, training with her mentor still. A part of her couldn’t believe she was still alive. Another part of her, however, was hoping to dare her own mentor to open his mouth about the situation; for the very thought of being chewed out again set her fur on fire.
So, Patchpaw said nothing to him of the incident, leaving it to the howling winds above to scream her convictions.

She knew, however, that he had spotted her sneaking off with Wildheart, and the thought that he would rat her escapades with him out to Howlingstar chilled her to the bone. It would be the final blow to what was already thin ice, and she would be the first to fall under.

"I know you saw me with Wildheart that night." Patchpaw looked back on that night rather fondly, for she would not be soon forgetting the combined feelings of exhilaration and passion that swept through her to her very core, but the idea that it would be her very undoing put a heavy dampen on the once-sugary sweet memory—and she had to make things right. At least this.
"…And I’m sorry. I know I snuck off with him, but I promise—I promise it was just that one time. Nothing more. I’ll wait until I’m a warrior."
Until you’re a warrior…whenever that is, Patchpaw thought to herself bitterly. "Just—" She was about to beg him not to tell Howlingstar, but she stops herself in her tracks. That wouldn’t be a very good idea if she was trying to keep him from thinking about it at all, would it?

Instead, she turns her head away with a sigh. "I don’t plan on running off anymore. I never wanted to. I just hope you know that."
With that, Patchpaw falls eerily silent once more, painstakingly ignoring the burning sensation of invisible claws tearing into her stomach.

// @Rabbitnose

Last edited:
He was weary, but he discovered he had quite a bit of stamina to burn. How long has it been since he had proper sleep? The days blended together and he barely processed the passing of time.

And yet, every day he rose to his duties. Every day he rose to serve his clan in any way he was asked, trained with Patchpaw and tried to make sure she was safe, that she could protect herself.

He had followed her and Wildheart not because he didn't trust them, but because he was afraid they could get hurt. That Patchpaw would get hurt. She's been through enough. And now, with boars out in the forest?

If he wasn't on edge, the he's falling off it.

The body.... He wasn't sure how to take it. He was already numb from worrying about Sunfreckle. He knows it must have been hard for Patchpaw to keep it secret.

His ears twitch as she begins to speak. She knows he was there, watching her and Wildheart. He gives her a sheepish smile.

"You don't have to apologize. Cats sneak off together sometimes..." He says. "The only difference here is your ranks of course."

He frowned. "Would you like to talk?" He asked. " I won't tell anyone you snuck off, I just know you've been through a lot, and sometimes it helps to just pour your heart out." He says. He wasn't a therapist and his other suggestion was to just scream your frustrations, so honestly this was the best option.​