ringing in my ears | mishap

WOLFGLADE

entertain me
Mar 26, 2023
જ➶ They have been watching this little scrap of feathers for a while now. Creeping up behind them as quietly as he can, eyes slightly narrowed in annoyance. It's so loud and frankly he has been trying to get it to shut up for a good minute. Apparently scaring it off doesn't seem to be doing the trick, what a stupidly brave bird. They have never tried their paw at hunting a bird before but damn if they won't now just to get rid of it. They slink closer to the twoleg bridge, olive orbs watching as it skitters and steps along the top of the edging. Muscles bunch and easily ascend onto the higher ledge and they keep their low stance. Someone will love a bird for their meal and if not them he can easily toss it to the waves. Though wasting food is not his first option. Still they keep focus upon the avian, small and covered in blues. Their tail brushes the stone beneath them as he slowly inches his way closer and closer. It steps and hopes, singing a bright tune and then they lunge. The bird is quicker and takes flight quickly. Paws misplace upon landing and he skitters sideways. A yelp leaves their throat as his back half suddenly drops.

Scrambling to try and pull themselves back up the moggy strains. Forepaws scramble and scrap against the stone to no avail and then suddenly they drop. The resounding splash into the water is resounding as they hit the liquid below, twisting and feeling pain but not focusing on that. Instead they emerge quickly and shake themselves. "Of all the rotten luck." They snap before shaking once more and wincing slightly. Ah, the pain is in a paw.

Bearing witness to such a humiliating failure is enough to make Crappiepaw cringe, but at the same time they find themself unable to look away as Wolfglade somehow manages to slide right into the water. At first they get the urge to laugh, but as Troutpaw asks whether Wolfglade is okay, they make their way closer to the two. Crappiepaw brushes their shoulder gently against their sister’s as they come to a stop beside her, narrowed green eyes falling upon the clumsy warrior. "This is why we do not hunt birds," they whisper to their sister, short tail flicking as they speak.

Wolfglade seems to be favoring a paw, and the calico’s mind focuses in on that fact for some reason. A weakness. RiverClan cannot afford to have more clanmates injured, unable to fight, to hunt. "Should I get Beesong? That was a bad fall." An embarrassing fall, they think, but they are considerate enough not to say it aloud. They respect Wolfglade, a warrior whose only foolish actions thus far have included falling into a river.
[ my my, cold hearted child ]

SKY HIGHCrawlingroach had to somewhat agree with Crappiepaw, they were better leaving the bird hunting to nutters like ThunderClan and SkyClan. Fish and shore hunting was just so much better, and for the most part safer it seemed. Internally he winced as he looked at Wolfglade, instinctively feeling sympathy for them over the fall. The black furred tom made the split-second decision to approach the other warrior and he aimed to draw up at their side. "Lean on me, I think it would be wise to get that leg checked out. I'd rather we air on the side of caution." Injuries could cost them dearly and they weren't to be ignored either.

જ➶ Truthfully they never expected that someone would be all the way out here so close to Windclan lands and see this mishap. It's embarrassing and he understands that to a very closw degree. It burns at their pride and the tom huffs, forcing his gaze to meet that of the young apprentice. "Been better." They mutter, lifting their paw from the ground to examine it. For the most part it looks okay but he can see some traces of blood. The idea that they have to go back to camp like this irks them but their emotions show very little upon the face. Another apprentice appears and they allow olivine eyes to focus on them, clenching their jaw slightly. "Don't, I can walk just fine. It's not broken I'm sure." Yet another clanmate comes and they feel heat flooding their pelt. How many have seen their catastrophe.

Shaking his head then as the other comes up beside him the moggy moves away from the other. "I said I can walk. It's fine." They appreciate the concern but he really just wants to forget about the fall and that dumb bird. Camp is not too far away and really he would rather limp back on his own merit than lean on someone over nothing. With a small twinge moving his jaw slightly he then starts to make his way back.

SKY HIGHThe tom briefly flinched away, but it was only just that; brief. His expression became somewhat stern as he fixed Wolfglade with a hard stare before he made an attempt to close the distance between them once more. "Fine, you can walk home, but I won't be leaving your side. Lean on me if it becomes too much." Roach refused to be shaken so easily and he wasn't about to leave a clanmate to struggle on alone without support.

fortunately for wolfglade, beesong wouldn't be another witness to their embarrassing slip into the river. unfortunately for wolfglare, that wouldn't spare them from the scrutiny of the healer as he happens across the scene. sea-green eyes narrow, overhearing crappiepaw and crawlingroach both suggest a visit to his own den... and his attention snaps to wolfglade, zeroing in on the paw that the warrior seems to favor. it doesn't look broken from here; the paw doesn't stick out unnaturally or appear otherwise misshapen. but that doesn't mean the leg is completely uninjured; crawlingroach is correct in that it's always better to be safe than sorry.

still, wolfglade protests. beesong rolls their eyes, closing the short distance between them and falling into line on the injured warrior's other side. stubborn fool. "you're fine when i say you are," they mumble aloud. riverclan couldn't afford pigheaded warriors putting themselves out of commission for longer than necessary by refusing medical attention. and beesong would sooner die than allow a clanmate to worsen a potential injury. they'll leave no room for arguing. "if you're not gonna accept crawlingroach's shoulder, then at least make sure you keep your weight off of it until we get back to my den."

The skinny calico winces as Wolfglade meets their eyes—they turn to the side, bright green gaze flitting everywhere except for the older feline. They feel chastised, even as Wolfglade speaks more harshly to Crawlingroach. Crawlingroach does not seem bothered besides a flinch, and then he continues trying to help the other warrior.

For a moment, the apprentice considers ignoring the older RiverClanner’s words and rushing off to bring the healer to Wolfglade. But then Beesong speaks, and Crappiepaw nods along with their words. "You should listen to Beesong," they suggest, not unkindly. Their tone is mild, as though they are truly looking out for the older cat. They do not want Wolfglade to be hurt, just as they would not want any other clanmate to be hurt. But if the warrior continues being stubborn, they will only injure themself further. The cinnamon-striped healer knows what is best, surely.
[ my my, cold hearted child ]