RISE ABOVE — intro

Aug 17, 2022

Today is, decidedly, not a great day for her. The bell that dangles from her collar keeps ruining her hunts, alerting her prey to her presence in the trees. It’s the sole reminder of her start in life, and while she didn’t mind it before, it now does nothing but irritate her. With a sigh, she settles onto her haunches, lifting one of her hind legs to try and push the collar off of her neck. It doesn’t budge. "You're shitting me," she grumbles, ducking her head to try and wedge the leather strap over her ears. It’s no use; her large ears just won’t bend enough to slip the collar over her head.

The bell jingles loudly as she jostles it, and she has to grit her teeth to hold back the urge to scream in frustration. She prides herself on being a very patient creature, but this? This is just too much. Glancing up, she spots one of her clanmates passing by, and she’s quick to smother her embarrassment and aversion to touch. She needs this thing off, right now, before she loses her mind. "Hey, you. Help me get this—this damned thing off me." She doesn’t mean to snap, but the thought of someone else having to aid her, as though she’s some helpless kit, sends disgust rolling through her.
[ PENNED BY FOXLORE ]

unfortunately for Basil, he is the nearest clan mate. The young tom winces at the she cats harsh tone, already shaking at the prospect of having to get closer to someone with such a sharp tongue. “Who uh- me?” He asks, checking over his shoulder to ensure that maybe there was someone else she could be talking to. A glance around him confirms that there is indeed not, however and he lets out a hard gulp as he draws tentatively closer.

He does not want to touch this cat, scared that if he does she’ll reach out and claw him. But she had asked him to right? Still he reaches out and grips the leather in his teeth and gives a gentle pull. “Uhm uh do you want me to like, pull harder?” He asks when the thing doesn’t come loose. He’s a rather small cat so he’s not entirely certain that he’s up for the job. Still, he could probably put a little bit more effort into his endeavors. Once again he grips the thing in between his teeth but this time he actually pulls with all of his considerable strength, which admittedly is not much. He pulls and pulls and pulls until he can’t pull anymore and is landing right onto his butt in the dirt with an audible “umph” wether he was successful or not remains to be seen

'Get some fresh air,' they said, 'go outside,' they whispered. Who said this? Who's to say, who's to say?

Fine enough day, fine enough sky, trees wisk to and fro with the oncoming chill, barely a bug in sight, prey stays far away from them thanks to the ring ring ringing ♪ of that lovely bell. He can't fathom why Batshriek is so insistent on removing it, but no matter. It's barely an afterthought in his mind... no matter, it would be in his clutches soon enough.

Static fills his ears as the two ahead of him exchange words— sing to eachother— they're flapping their gums, is all he knows. Night-blackened thing seems to hiss in their frustration, worm-like thing responds with wary gaze, but proceeds anyways. Proceeds with what, he's not sure. Though it is amusing. Mouse-like jaws clutch at loops woven tightly around this one's neck. Failure, unsuccess. Dawnglare watches with a neutral gaze, save for widened eyes unabashedly staring. "Do it again.

The smallest wisp of a child responds with an unsure question, glancing around as if there’s anyone else she might be speaking to. She quirks a brow at him, frowning. "Yes, you." She sighs. Can’t believe she’s asking a kid for help with this problem of hers. But she wants the collar gone—wants to put that piece of her past behind her for good—so she will settle for the help of anyone, no matter how small.

Unfortunately, the kid (who also has mismatched eyes, she notes with a hint of a grin) proves to be profoundly useless. Ah, her fault for snapping at a kit one for help, but who else is there? When the tabby grabs hold of the collar, Batshriek stiffens; the closeness makes her feel nauseous for a brief second. Thankfully it passes though, because she’s distracted by the sharp pressure on her neck as the kid tugs. She wheezes, and as Basil falls back Batshriek staggers forward, barely righting herself with a strangled hiss. "Okay, you were just- just choking me. That didn’t work."

A familiar cat makes his way over then, and the bat-eared feline clocks him as the medicine cat immediately. She’d memorized his face as soon as she moved here; she wants nothing to do with him and his exposure to the diseased. But the way that he just stands there, just watches and insists that they try again—it makes her want to bite him. Just a tiny bit. "Why don’t you help? I’m dying here, and this isn’t working." She grumbles, leveling the cinnamon and white feline with an icy stare. " Thanks though, kid," is an added afterthought, a grateful smile shot in Basil’s direction.
[ PENNED BY FOXLORE ]