backwritten sands of time | one-shot

strawmoon

too young to be singing the blues
Dec 28, 2022
Waxpaw and Strawpaw, you both break to the right towards that tunnel near the surface. Report to Mosschirp and I when you’re done. Straw, I want you to lead the charge and Wax, I want you to reinforce the walls as you go past. Okay. The instructions had been clear enough, so when they had set out, why did Straw feel such a prickle of unease? They’re trained apprentices, not kits anymore, but yet Straw can’t rid themselves of the anxiety that plagues their chest and creates a pit in their stomach.

And as they’re shuffling through, with the creaking from the roof of the tunnel, they finally know why they had been on edge. "Waxpaw-" the beginnings of a shout only to die on the tip of their tongue as they scramble backwards. Waxpaw was supposed to reinforce the walls, they had stones, they had sticks, they had everything they needed. They hadn’t even alerted Straw that this area of the tunnel was weak. And yet it wasn’t fair, and Strawpaw still feels guilt as they watch the dirt fall slowly from the ceiling. It’s only a matter of a few seconds until the whole thing collapses on to Wax. "Why aren’t you moving?!" they bark, the most authoritative, fearful their voice has ever been.

I’m… scared…” comes Waxpaws response and then can Straw really see then as just another child. Then move!

Straw is barely out of the way as the top of the ceiling caves in, falling all at once on top of Waxpaw. And just like the dirt, time drags them in slow-motion as well as they stand there to just watch. If this was Icepaw, would Straw fling themselves on to the pile immediately, dig until their paws bled? Would they hesitate like this if it was someone they knew? Why do they suddenly feel sick? The breeze from the entrance of the tunnel, just a little further in front of Strawpaw, tempts them to run. Strawpaw doesn’t act on it, but they can’t find any thoughts to reassure themself.

Until finally, their brain starts working again, the cogs are turning as usual. I’m not a coward. We’ll, we’ll both get out of here. Unfrozen, shattered from their ice prison they shake their head. "Just, just hang on a little longer…" and their teeth are chattering, not because of the cold, but because someones life is in their paws right now. They’re digging, digging, Wormtails training is slipping from their mind until all they’re doing is half-choking on their hysterical laughs, throwing dirt behind them as if it were just trash. What can I do more? Starclan doesn’t watch down here, Waxpaw is gonna die and wander the tunnels and it’ll be my fault. Strawpaw really thinks having a ghost haunting them would be absolutely terrible. They’re trying to come up with anything to keep themself calm.

And then Waxpaw’s ear is sticking out, and they scrape more and more. Waxpaw would not die alone down here, no, they would not as long as Strawpaw is here. Their paws are cracked and bleeding at this point, their claws ache, but its all worth it once they’re able to haul Waxpaws limo body from the rubble. They’ll tell Mosschirp and the others as soon as they get the situation under control and Waxpaw is comfortably in the medicine den. Strawpaw begins to haul Waxpaw straight out of the tunnel collapse and towards the light, towards the fresh breeze.

Once they make it back to camp, once the adrenaline wears off… Strawpaw is going to either take a long nap or scream. Probably both. Whatever happens, happens, as they teeter all the way back.
"speech"​