scarborough fair — duskpool

YUKIO

second chances 08/28/2023
Mar 1, 2023
don't rush something you want to last forever .
︶꒦꒷♡꒷꒦︶
He was nervous, kneading the group with skin prickling in anticipation for his adoptive father to come slithering out from the camp’s entrance. He needed to get better, because what else could he offer? He was useless, so so useless that he wasn’t worth wasting prey on.

Yukio’s mind fluttered to a day still fresh with sorrows when he asked Orangeblossom about the hunting crouch, weak and cowardly, he was, and still is. He realized nothing much had changed then, still nervous and lost within his own head more times than he could count. Now? He shivered, ducking his helm until his chin pressed agonizingly into his boney chest.

He welcomed the pain, overshadowing the pit of nervousness and shame churning his gut until he couldn’t eat without gagging. His ears burned in shame, dual optics flickering to peer into the forest, afraid to even think about stepping paw outside these walls, no less asking. But he had to because then … then he’d be useful, right?

Duskpool emerged with ghostly molten copper, looking as if he’d collapse any second sending spikes of worry through the other, owlish optics widening. “D, Dad?” He chittered nervously, unsure if the other even wanted to talk to them, but the familiar rumble settled his nerves to pad towards the other, brushing against his side as he slithered around him to stand beside the other.

He shuffled, kneading the ground nervously, expression uncertain. I can do this. If not, then he’d just be as useless as he always was. Heavens. He couldn’t even take care of his own! He failed. He failed so so much that it hurt. It hurt. He winced. He didn’t enjoy thinking about it, but how could he not? Yukio had been so happy, but then it was ripped away from him and then he did that.

“I—” He frowned. Don’t be a coward, Yukio! He urged himself, peering into molten copper who watched, expression deadpan. “I’m s, sorry.” He shook his helm, expression conflicted, backing away from the other. “I, I’m sorry.” He turned, pivoting on paws, tears welling up within owlish optics. Stupid.

He shouldn’t have bothered.

/ prompt

ever anxious about just how 'useful' he is to his clan, after their most recent hiccup at the border, perhaps yukio is finding himself anxious to make up for his mistakes less he be driven away from his new home. what's yukios definition of 'atonement'? how does he choose to try and fix what he's done?
thought speech

anger makes you stupid . stupid gets you killed .
︶꒦꒷♡꒷꒦︶
He blinked, turning on heavy paws to watch Yukio stumble over his words, torn ear flickering at the shuttered ‘Dad’ until the male was apologizing. He sighed, helm low. Damnit, kid. He shook his helm, muttering a string of curses before surging forward, paws feeling heavy, but Duskpool was a stubborn brute, even if life was damn near worthless, he still had cats counting on him. Fucking hell. Some father he was, watching Yukio’s retreating backside.

Hadn’t been in the greatest mindset. He shook his helm, stomach-churning, still feeling Shadowfire’s blood coating his tongue. Foxdung. Duskpool felt his lips twitch in a bitter smile, but as brief as it was, he settled his expression, because Yukio didn’t need that. With sluggish molten copper, the obsidian-furred male shifted, bumping his helm against the other. “Should have given ya more credit.” He remarked, deadpan, letting out a sigh that rattled his chest, ignoring the tick in his throat threatening to burst ( not from sickness ) but from the overwhelming tiredness that weighed on his shoulders.

He was so damn tired.

Another life was lost because of him. His paws were too stained. He was good at ruining others’ lives. Sighing, Duskpool lifted his head to peer into dual optics.

“Think ya can handle it? You might be my kid, but that won’t mean a damn thing.” He rumbled, gaze narrowing. “Don’t go gallivanting off, alright? Ya wanna get better? Then act like it.” He finished.

I won’t fail again.

“Meet me at the entrance at moon high. Start teachin’ ya the basics.” He ended, pivoting on heavy paws. Duskpool knew well enough he wouldn’t be getting sleep soon. Not when their deaths remained stuck to the back of his eyelids whenever he closed his eyes. Might as well put that time to good use.
thought speech