pafp SCHOOL CAFETERIA LAMENT ⛧ casual meal-sharing

˚⊹₊‧ 𖦹 Chilledstar's Shadowclan was aloof, independent, and perhaps a bit mysterious. At least, this is the vibe that was supposed to be given off at Gatherings and in the curt, dodgy small-talk they offered their lovely neighbors on border patrols. The reality of everyday life though, was painfully un-mysterious, or at least Ashenpaw thought so.

Daily meal-sharing was normalized and expected during the last remaining death-wails of leafbare, when the frogs weren't hoppy enough to run around laying eggs all over the swamp just yet and cats were still making do with their perpetual not-starving-yet. Perhaps the inherent intimacy of sharing prey was beneficial for the chilly-tempered likes of Ashenpaw and many of his clanmates, it kept them from isolating completely and becoming a bunch of hunched stone-cats, guardians of each of their sovereign clans.

One of Skunktail's new adult-kittens was not Ashenpaw's first choice in meal-buddy, but poor timing and emergent tummy-rumbling led him to sharing a frog with the other smallish cat without an outright complaint. Plus, there was still a little bit of novelty in messing with him, just a little.

Ashenpaw gasps dramatically as his dark-furred companion breaks their one-bite-each rhythm and takes an extra bite of amphibian leg in front of Starclan and everyone, "How dare you, I wanted that bite...!" He holds out an expectant paw in front of Pipitclaws face, continuing to stare at him with an affronted look on his face, "....Go on. Spit it out. Don't being greedy..."

• OOC: @pipitclaw !!
  • 29y3n1.png
  • ashenkit . ashenpaw
    — ftm transmasc. he/him. 11mo apprentice of shadowclan. mentored by smogmaw
    — muted blue torbie w/ pale blue and amber eyes
    — smells of rainsoaked fern and swamp milkweed
    all ic opinions!
    — “speech”, thoughts, attack
    — sig by nya, fullbody by antiigone, sticker by saturnid
    — penned by eezy

feather-banner-png.1372

Seems pretty weird in general... or maybe not weird, just intimate. To share prey with someone that you just happen to live in the same place as. It wasn't like he'd never passed around what scraps he could find with his brothers, he wasn't immune to the concept of 'sharing is caring' as told by his mother. This however, was a lot more than that... it was like... some indoctrination that demanded friendliness in association to food.

Kind of contradictory, he thought, given that it was in their nature to be possessive of the things that kept them alive but he'd complied. Lilacfur had been one of the first, which had been a much easier transition to this oddity now.

A frustrated cry and a paw shoved directly in his face pulls the chimera from his thoughts, they'd wandered so far he hadn't even realized he'd double-dipped for an extra mouthful of a particularly chew leg. It was basically mush in his mouth at this point... but Ashenpaw looked sincerely bothered by this lack of 'fairness' (couldn't it be rectified by giving him an extra bite next? Evidently not...).

Frowning slightly, his ears flatten in sheepish apology before politely leaning forward and willingly opening his mouth to let a pile of slop fall into the apprentice's extended paw. Sitting back and raising one of his own to his mouth to swipe at the corners, Pipitclaw smiled in earnest. "My apologies, my friend! I wasn't paying attention."

Looking between the younger cat's face and the freshly chewed bite he'd returned (he was so generous!), he nods expectantly, encouraging him to take what he was owed. "Didn't mean to short you on your half- go ahead!"

I WISH YOU COULD SEE THE WICKED TRUTH — Sharing a meal with one of her clanmates was, admittedly, a rather difficult process for Onyxpaw. Not the actual act of eating - no, she had that pretty well down, thankfully - but the inevitable conversation that came along with it. The social niceties that were meant to make it a pleasant experience, but actually made such a task agonizing for her. As much as she had been coming out of her shell lately, the apprentice still found that some things simply didn't come naturally to her. Maybe it would be easier if she attempted it with someone like Snowpaw, her fellow apprentice actually seeming to genuinely consider her a friend. As surreal as that still felt, she had to imagine making idle conversation and splitting a meal would be easier with someone she knew decently well.

Though either way, she'd be delighted once newleaf arrived and made it so that sharing meals between all of them wasn't a dire and necessary thing, rather than a choice to be made.

The entire process seemed determined to make itself difficult for her, hesitation written all over her face as she lingered near the freshkill pile, trying to decide what to grab and who she might share it with. Onyxpaw loitered for so long that she eventually found her attention wandering, landing on the nearby odd couple of Ashenpaw and Pipitclaw. At least it seemed like the two of them had figured out a steady rhythm, each dipping down to take a bite of the frog between them - up until Pipitclaw took a little more than he was due. She watched in mild horror as Ashenpaw stuck his paw in Pipitclaw's face, fully expecting the warrior to scoff and tell him off for the mere suggestion. Instead, though, a sludge was dropped onto Ashenpaw's outstretched limb.

She could do nothing but stare for a moment, stomach twisted in one ungainly knot and eyes wide in disgust at what she had just witnessed. "I don't... I don't think I'm hungry anymore..." Her soft words were muttered to whichever clanmate was closest to her, Onyxpaw unable to even turn her gaze back towards the freshkill pile.

• 75034637_eiCvVhxv9vQNT6l.png
    shorthaired tortoiseshell point and chocolate point chimera with blue eyes
    6 moons old; ages the 1st every month
    bisexual; crushing on yellowpaw
    daughter of monarchroot and sleetjaw
    shadowclan born; silently loyal to her home
    difficult to befriend; shy to most except yellowpaw
    "speech", thoughts, attacking
    peaceful powerplay allowed

"EUGH! ASHENPAW EWWWW! Don't be gross!" she cries out, nose wrinkling as she bares witness to the scene unfolding before her very eyes. Why in StarClan's name her brother would ever want to eat someone else's chewed up leftover spit covered food is absolutely beyond her. She, personally, would rather just starve. But she supposes her brother had always been stubborn, had always needed to prove a point with nearly everything he did. And Pipitclaw, he was equally as gross for giving in, she decided.

"Y'know you dont have to give it to him just because he asked for it." she points out, disgust still evident in the way she glances down at the spit up prey and then sneers. Onyxpaw's words about not being hungry anymore do not fall upon deaf ears and she turns to her fellow apprentice and nods "And I don't blame you, me neither!" Why did these two have to go and ruin a perfectly good meal huh? "I would say we should do something that grosses them out but Ashenpaw is so nasty I don't think that possible" she glances at her brother out of the corner of her eyes as she speaks, watching his face, his reaction to her words. Would he allow them to rile him up, she wonders.
EpC61GT.png

• 74005637_Mkbfa9PMK58YlSi.png
    HALFPAW SHADOWCLAN APPRENTICE ; SHE / HER ; SMOGMAW X HALFSHADE ; SISTER TO APPLEPAW, ASHENPAW, SWANPAW, GARLICPAW, THORNPAW AND LAURELPAW
    A fluffy she cat who's fur is half cream tabby, half blue tabby split by white. Her eyes are two mismatched shades of blue, with one being a light icy blue and the other being darker in color.
    Easy in battle + still learning how to fight

"Now, that's just nasty." Batchaser chirps out, as he approaches the group on top of long limbs. He saw the entire thing play out from ways away, in his own little bubble of lone comfort. He already ate his meal from today, but now seeing Pipitclaw straight up spit it back up into the awaiting paw of one Ashenpaw... he wants to gag up his meal.

In all honestly, he thought Pipitclaw would be the better cat in this strange situation and share. But he found strange amusement from seeing this He wrinkles his muzzle up, before letting out a small chuckle as he settles across from the unfolding scene. Curling his tail around his pale splattered paws, the bicolor nods his head at Onyxpaw, agreeing with the apprentice. "I don't blame you at all Onyxpaw." He lets his tail twitch a little from its curled form, watching what will happen next.

•  
  • no ref yet </3
  • ( Ehhh ?! ) BATCHASER : warrior of shadowclan
    ➛ cismale ; HE / HIM, no problems with other pronouns ; currently 28 moons
    ➛ pansexual / single / not actively looking / open to crushes
    ➛ a tall, curly shorthaired oriental mix with half-lidded odd colored eyes.
    action , thoughts , "Speech , 7077A1"
    ➛ smells of rain-soaked pavement & sweet leaf rot

- tags / @ on discord for plots
    - penned by calzone

How this pairing of Ashenpaw and Pipitclaw found themselves, she isn't sure. However, seeing how their meal has now turned into a reenactment of a mother bird feeding it's young, she is not surprised at all. Pipitclaw had a knack for creating innocent trouble but Ashenpaw had been asking for it this time...

"Ashenpaw, it's not appropriate to waste food." Her words are chiding but her tone is bland just enough to go undetected as playful or not. Lilacfur kept up a solid stone expression, lifting a paw to gesture towards the chewed up prey and back to the apprentice. "I'd hope you wouldn't let that get spoiled, now. That could have fed a kit." She shared a brief glimpse of eye contact with Pipitclaw. Hardly remarkable, but in their time training she knows the action alone tells him she's joking.
[ i need the clouds to cover me ]

˚₊‧ ⛧ Ashenpaw's brazen dare does not go ignored, nor is it laughed at, or scoffed at, or earn him a punch to his shoulder. Instead, he receives something much, much more dire. He says nothing for a whole minute, shock-still with horror as revulsion runs up and down his spine, he feels as if he is the one who has died and been chewed up and spit out again. How had it all gone so very... very... wrong?

"EWWWW-WUH!!!" He screeches, flicking the pile of mouth-food to the ground at Pipitclaw's feet, "I WAS JOKING, GENIUS! I didn't actually think you'd-... BLEHCK!" He crinkled up his nose at the lingering nasty feeling on his paw. To make things worse, he then heard a grating, irritating voice coming from nearby. Ashenpaw swiveled his head to glare at his ratty little sister, retorting simply, "You're nastier." But then he felt like that wasn't quite enough ... "Don't think I haven't seen you stick your toes up your nose in the apprentice den," he smirks as he pulls something out of his tail fluff to accuse her of.

"Anyway, YOU can have this back..." Ashenpaw attempts to wipe his befouled paw upon the perpetrator's chest fur. "He can have his lost food too, don't worry Lilacfur, Pipitclaw knows all about how we don't waste food here." The tom huffs and shakes out his fur to rid himself of the lingering chills upon his spine.

• OOC: cutely replying to this weeks later hi <3
  • 29y3n1.png
  • ashenkit . ashenpaw
    — ftm transmasc. he/him. 12mo apprentice of shadowclan. mentored by smogmaw
    — muted blue torbie w/ pale blue and amber eyes
    — smells of rainsoaked fern and swamp milkweed
    all ic opinions!
    — “speech”, thoughts, attack
    — pfp by meg, fullbody by antiigone, sticker by saturnid
    — penned by eezy

As the hollow basks in the long-awaited warmth of the Newleaf sun, it rises to illuminate yet another nausea-inducing spectacle in the camp's core. Frog giblets spurt onto the ground to say hello to his apprentice, and Smogmaw's entire being gets caught in a vicious wince once the uproarious response echoes into his earholes. They promptly flatten, all while the fur along his spine does the opposite.

He teeters on calling his son's name in reprimand, or flat-out squashing Pipitclaw's face into the dubious stew that coloured the ground. Before either notion can be realised, the abhorrent becomes even more appalling; Ashenpaw scoops up the gore and strives to smear it across the chimera's chest-fur. "That's just foul, stop it."

Authority clashes with repugnance in his tone while the tabby gallivants forwards. His gait is begrudgingly hurried, for he'd rather go absolutely anywhere else than within smelling distance of this wretched mess. Intentionally brushing against Halfpaw as he walks past, Smogmaw clenches his nostrils once he's before the two. "Decency's a foreign thing to you both, I know, but pretending wouldn't hurt. Nobody wants to see or hear any of this." Knitted brows kite in Pipitclaw's trajectory. "Treat our fresh-kill with respect," charges the deputy, and as his sightline wafts towards Ashenpaw, he says, "and you... keep it classy. Don't be disgusting." And get it in his mouth to send a better message, not on his chest

Scarcely stifling a gag, Smogmaw veers off towards the pile. Somehow, he hasn't lost his appetite.

Last edited: