pafp SECRET AGENT MAN (accidental pregnancy reveal)

// Please wait for @POPPYSPLASH. to post! Also tagging other mama @willowroot

He didn't like secrets. He's never been good at keeping them down, he's just not built for it! They eat him from the inside out like moss growing over a rock, consuming him with guilt and anxiety. He knows, and he knows he's not supposed to know. He's been tiptoeing around with this deep, dark, secret knowledge, avoiding the couple at all times because he knows he'll crack under the pressure if he sees them! He's slinking across camp, looking around as if he's expecting an eagle to swoop down from the sky and pluck him up. The coast seems clear. He thinks he can get to the warrior's den before anyone will suspect a thing. He's making his move, one paw after the other, swift and silent. He's rounding a clump of reeds, thinking he's home-free, before there, right around the other side, is Willowroot and Poppysplash, lounging calmly.

He halts with an indiscernible yelp, ears falling flat against his head in dread. "HEY! Hi, hey, hello! How's the happy couple on this...chilly...day, haaaha." He nervously side-steps around them, awkward chuckles overtaking him. "The sun's out, good weather for kits. SITS. SIT-ting. Sitting. HA!" He's almost there, almost all the way around them, then he'll make a beeline for the den. He's doing so good. They don't suspect a thing. "So what are you two planning on doing today? Relaxing? GOOD, good, nothing too tedious, I hope!" There. He's done it. He's made it! He's shuffled all the way around them, and he can finally dart off into the darkness of the den and escape.

Relaxing, he spins around on his heel and meows over his shoulder, proud of himself, "Well, I'm gonna go get some shut-eye! You won't get much of that when the little ones are here, eh?" And mid-step, he freezes, eyes blowing wide and a forepaw lifting to stick itself right in his mouth. I didn't...

Yes, yes he did.

everything was okay, right? willowroot had insisted it was probably just a bad piece of prey giving her a hard time. they told poppysplash not to worry, and poppysplash didn't. she, above all, trusted willowroot. of course she did. she hadn't any reason to believe that she would be lied to- no matter the rhyme or reason behind it. she just didn't think it possible. as she laid next to them, her purrs were quiet, though her face was less than inviting as it perched atop her paws, her tongue drawing out to clean her forelimbs, only to stop at the sudden squeal nearby. suddenly she lifts her head, and her brows furrowed with annoyance as mudpelt began to bumble on about something.

what the hell is he even talking about, right now? ugh, could he be more of an idiot? why do i have to put up with this.

she doesn't. she has no reason to. despite mudpelt having saved her life, she needed to not face any demons like that today, thus she needed that doofus of a tom cat to go anywhere else but here. far far away. the further, the better.

"the sun is out, and you're blocking it with your hot air filled head. move."

she snaps at him before suddenly her blood runs cold. what did he just say? she hadn't been paying attention enough to catch the slip of the tongue he had earlier but this was... much more clear. this was more clear than the water that rushed through their territory. little ones?

"little ones? what are you- no no, hold the fuck on. don't fucking move don't-"

anger makes her words spew like venom, as she has finally risen to her paws. she doesn't even realize she has shifted away from willowroot, who is sitting there and not saying a word. she doesn't even look at their face, too afraid it might confirm what mudpelt had been saying. but mudpelt was no liar. a dunce? yeah. an idiot? yes. an incredible stupid block head? absolutely. but not a liar. he couldn't lie. there wasn't a single mean bone in his body that could have done so. thus he is spilling a secret that isn't his. stolen on accident, and thrown right in poppy's face.

"what the fuck do you mean little ones?! where is here? what... how the fuck do you even- willowroot, what the fuck is he talking about?!"

the nausating rage has returned to her face, and she is facing willowroot, a growl in her throat.

"and don't you dare move, blabbering big mouth!"

she hisses towards mudpelt. she's too angry to even see straight. she needs answers. and she needed to know why mudpelt knew before her. who else knew? was she the only one? had she been the fool in this situation. tears are fighting their way to the surface. no matter what was said now... willowroot didn't tell her the truth. what the hell was she going to do now?

[ I'LL GIVE YOU THE WORLD ]

( ) they know poppysplash has noticed. she's been glancing across at them ever since they sat down, and now, with their tail twined with hers, her purr in their ears, they can't help but fidget. they know seem off, anxiety chewing at her stomach even as it also lurches with little lives. sandpaper tongue softly grooming behind their mate's ears, the feline's mind races, sorting through different ways that could possibly work to reveal to the woman exactly what is happening. they thoughts drift back to conversations they had when they'd not yet gotten together. how poppy has mixed feelings about kits- how she behaves around the apprentices. stars why is this happening now?

the alarmed noise of mudpelt jolt them from their thoughts and they glance up curiously, brow furrowing at his various attempts to begin conversation. "good weather for kits... sits... sitting!" tufted ears flatten sharply against her head as her chest heaves. heart quickening. if he'd just said what she thinks he said... oh starclan. nervously tapping her paw on the ground, she manages a smile and tries to nod in agreement. forcing a laugh at poppy's obvious annoyance, she nuzzles the femme, partly out of love, partly out of the sudden necessity to hide her face. how does he know.. how could he know? only bee knows!

and then he says it. the very last thing he should've ever said. the words spill from his lips and he shoves his paw into his mouth immediately after. green eyes flash fear and confusion as her head snaps to meet his own golden gaze, and her brow furrows, fur fluffing up. "how did you...?" the question is too little too late. poppysplash takes a moment to understand and then is moving away, standing and growling. anxiety flashes through willowroot, shoulders hunching as her mate paces towards the earthen tom and then spins, snarl directed where it should be. at them.

for a minute willow is speechless, opening her mouth and finding nothing but air. a paw goes unconsciously to her stomach, feathery tail curling around it protectively. she doesn't know what will happen. "poppy, i'm-" but how does she communicate everything she wants to say when she hasn't had any time to prepare. this is not how this was supposed to go. "i'm so sorry. it's true. i'm pregnant." even the word is hard to push out, but once she does, she feels the rest of her consciousness flow with it. "it's true and i don't know how mudfall knows but i was going to tell you! i just found out and beesong told me it was bad because leaf-bare is so close and i was scared to tell you because i know you don't really like kids. i'm so sorry."

she glances up at her and then looks away, afraid of her wrath, scared that whatever she'll see won't be expected. she's seen poppy's rage before, but never so specifically targeted. swallowing, she hunches further in on herself.

( THE LIGHT YOU GAVE ME )

Lilybloom didn't really know much about the situation between Poppyfrost and Willowroot
. Of course she knew they were fond of each other, but she had no idea they were so close that kits were in the immediate future for them. Such was how out of the loop she had been since her accident. When she hears her father make a comment about 'little ones', she looks around curiously, wondering who was expecting kits. She soon gets her answer from seeing Poppyfrost and Willowroot and realising her father had unintentionally revealed their pregnancy before they had even had the chance themselves.

"Ooooh now you've gone and done it," Lilybloom says to Mudpelt, shaking her head in amusement. He'd be lucky if Willowroot or Poppyfrost didn't claw his ears off for this. Turning away from him, she glances towards the elder warriors. "Congratulations, I guess," She says, an awkward laugh following her words.

beesong watches the exchange with furrowed brows, teeth worrying with the inside of his cheek. mudpelt shouldn't know about the pregnancy; beesong had promised willowroot to keep it a secret, and he has not told a soul of it. secrecy has always been a talent of his, so the task wasn't a difficult one. but, what mudpelt said suggests that he does know. how, beesong has no clue. it's clear in the lead warrior's shell-shocked expression that they hadn't been the one to tell mudpelt.

ah, well. however mudpelt found out, there's no going back now. the poultice has been ripped off, exposing the raw, ugly wound beneath. with a sigh, the healer shuffles over to their loose-lipped friend, watching willowroot and poppysplash warily. "you've got a mouth bigger than the great rock, mud," beesong comments drily, expression forcibly neutral as they observe the confrontation. preparing themselves for it to burn out of control, the cinnamon tabby feeding off of willowroot's fear of the truth, while hoping that poppysplash doesn't pop a blood vessel.

Reactions: DogTeeth
"you..."

lied to me. you lied to me. you said you were okay that nothing was going on and here you are saying something else. because why? because you were scared? of... me? the words are in her thoughts but she doesn't begin to say them. the anxiety that willowroot has is so clear right now, and it makes poppysplash back up a couple of paces. had... had she thought that poppysplash would have done something? swallowing thickly, she rubbed her eyes, tears falling down her face as her claws sheathed. she's crying, and it makes her feel worse.

"right. you don't... trust that i'd be okay with... any of this? how could you just- i don't get why- i... need to go."

if uncle was still here, he'd laugh. look at you, crying right now. tch. get over yourself, poppysplash. suck it up, and move on. she wants to, but she's hurt. before anyone could stop her, or say any more words of congratulations or cast their disappointed gaze upon her, she leaves the camp, twitching ears back and forth with no intentions of returning for a good moment.

//out ! i will be makin' a private for poppysplash to apologize for lashing out like that 😭😭
[ I'LL GIVE YOU THE WORLD ]

• Crying
Reactions: nico and lavs
MY NAME IS BRUTUS AND MY NAME MEANS HEAVY ✧
its the commotion that draws her out, confusion heavy upon the woman's face with the talk of kits. mud in the midst of it all, spluttering and clearly being eaten away by nerves, talking to poppy about whatever. she almost leaves the scene completely, not willing to hear a conversation that was just babbling. but then it starts to grow louder, and she thinks of hushing it all down. poppy is volatile, ready to explode in a moment's notice. buck can't say she is sure about willow's choice in partners, especially now. watching the exchange, her precious kin being fearful, and foolish. so foolish. they cannot expect to raise a strong litter in the dying seasons, buck would have thought that willow had that sense. that at least someone could have learned from the original fool.

the angered woman leaves the scene, leaving willow alone in her wake. buck does not dare move closer to the smoke-furred warrior, simply stares at her. she should feel happy for caraway. she's aware of that. she's also aware that it makes her something horrid for feeling nothing similar to the emotion. she should be giddy, jumping around like a kit and babbling about future names and what they must look like. but she can't. she gnaws on the tender flesh of her cheek, desperate to keep composure. she thought she'd be okay for this moment, wouldn't make a scene and grow resentful. but it's not fair. none of it was fair.

her breath is shallow when the deputy approaches her lead warrior, still gravely silent, but she rests her head against her kin's. "congratulations, willowroot." her voice lacks truth to the sentiment, she can hear it when she speaks. "don't worry, if poppy's half the cat i think she is, she'll come around. be careful in the meantime." she hopes willow has learned something from her, be less stubborn and learn her place is amongst the nests for now.

she moves away from the expecting mother, and makes for her turn to leave. to do something else, she supposes. there's no children waiting for her, so it doesn't quite matter what she does.

//out ..

Frankly he wasn't sure what all the screaming was about, he had missed the first initial comment by Mudpelt that set the dilute she-cat off so all he heard coming into camp was the tongue lashing the chocolate tom was recieving and Willowroot apologizing for something or another. His mouth was full with a wriggling trout so he focused on moving to the middle of the camp to deposit it before turning to approach the gathered cats with narrowed, curious eyes. Beesong and Lilybloom scolded the tom for apparently speaking out of line or blabbing something he wasn't supposed to, Poppysplash stomped off in a huff, Buckgait congratulated the lead warrior before also leaving. He had no idea what was going on as he sat there looking from cat to cat and willing himself to absorb the information he was able to it. It took alarmingly too long for him to come to the same conclusion literally every other cat there had but when he did he blurted it out stupidly in a manner that would make Mudpelt look like he had tact, "...you're having kits?"

It's quite the chaotic sight that's placed before him.

Mudpelt, a nervous wreck, muttering about something - little ones? Tide isn't sure. Isn't sure what the point of mentioning such to Willowroot and Poppysplash is.

Willowroot - oh, how he's been worried about his littermate! They've been feeling a bit under the weather as of late - even had to talk with Beesong about it! Tide simply hopes they're okay, hopes their unsteady stomach is on the mend.

His worries over Willowroot blur the scene before him, and it isn't long before Poppysplash is mad, is crying, is... leaving? Tide blinks, a frown pulling at his face. What had he missed, in just mere moments?

A scolding from Beesong. A congratulations from Buckgait. A question from Smokethroat. He pauses, pieces together what information he has. Little ones. Kits. Kits?

"I'm going to be an uncle...?" the tom asks, frosty eyes wide as he looks back at his sibling.

GUTTA CAVAT LAPIDEM : the scene was almost comical. from his perch lounging lazily atop flat, sun - warmed stone, watching through half lidded eyes as mudpelt scoots away from the twined couple. he doesn’t blame him, really — the mottled molly willowroot had taken as mate was a force to be reckoned with and there were few so willing to spend more time with her than absolutely necessary. the chocolate tom was nearly home free and, to avoid being called out for spying, the man averts his gaze upward towards sweeping willows overhead. it was nice. peaceful. the clan bustles beneath him and he lowers his head, eyes sliding to a gentle close . . and only then, there was yelling. a sudden, frantic shouting and his ears lift, stumbling to his paws atop river rock before he could think. poppysplash is walking away and he can’t say he’s surprised, but willowroot is distressed, and a soft whoosh of bicolored fur, a gust of scent like waves at twilight and he’s there, stepping alongside smokethroat to catch the tail end of his gruff, alluring voice as he says —

you’re having kits?

icy gaze snaps to the ( pregnant? ) smoke in a way he would later recognize as rude, coughing and lowering his head to lick at a stray curl. pregnant . . and so close to leafbare. the fem had said it herself, as had beesong. despite his looming presence, he does not add to it. instead, his jaw locks and he swallows hard, glacial eyes softening despite the uptick of his rapid-fire heart. poppysplash has left camp and they stand alone, amidst a group of growing, gawking clanmates. a brief chill overtakes him, a promise of colder weather to come, “ kits, huh . . we’ll manage just fine. “ it’s soft, rumbling, and he steps forward a bit to attempt to flick his fluffy tail against the smoke’s side in comfort. they would get through it, just as he always had. the river had not failed them yet. buckgait congratulates them and it is not cold, not rude, but absent. perhaps she was just like that, though — he’d not seen a genuine smile from the tawny molly once. perhaps that was just the effect he had on her. the deputy departs just as quickly as she’d come and after a beat, cicadastar sucks in a quiet breath, a small smile dancing upon his dark features. there were too many eyes watching, too many faces crowding about. he would offer an escape route, albeit being with him, “ why don’t we go for a hunt? we’ll get you a meal, you’ll need your strength.for the moons coming.

• CICADASTAR ; he / him. roughly thirty nine months old, riverclan leader
    − handsome, lanky black smoke tortie chimera with curly fur and ice blue eyes
    − gay. speaks with a german accent, ages on the seventh, penned by antlers

• felinedad.png
  • none.

The backlash is immediate. Mudpelt whirls around upon Poppysplash's firm instruction, mumbling a frightened, "Yes, ma'am!" Lilybloom and Beesong approach, lightly scolding him and he knows they're right. Oh, he really messed up this time. Swallowing hard, he wathces as Poppysplash shouts, followed by tears and running away. His heart aches with guilt, pounding in his chest as his tail tucks low against him. With his ears pinned against his head, he gives Willowroot a pathetically apologetic look. "I'm sorry...I didn't mean to- honest I didn't!" Curse his slippery tongue!