camp SILENT SOLITUDE | RTA

Aug 20, 2023

Little Ghost, where are you?

Chervilshade flitted through the shadows that lined the margins of Shadowclan's camp, in the same mute manner as she always had, hushed lullaby of pitter-pattering footfall like a hum of drizzle. Dull olives glowed dim in the gloom, though unremarkable in the face of the overwhelming shadow of the marshlands. Distraction had taken hold of her mind once more, fog seeping into where sharp crevices of her mind would usually be, though she had grown familiar and friendly with the miasma that plagued her. She had just received her warrior name, and yet she still felt like nothing had changed at all, like she had not yet earned such a prestigious change. Chervilshade... Her name floated in the murky sea of her mind, hung delicately just above her lilting tongue, though she still regarded it as a foreign thing that had infiltrated her. Even as the world had been cast into the penumbra of misfortune, and seasons changed as readily as the foxes shed their winter coats, she could not help but feel she had simply remained the same. She was not alarmed by the consistency, for order soothed the fraying and fretting fears. As the universe swirled and screamed and scrambled around her, Chervilshade always stood still - not in an ultimate test of resolution, but in an unwillingness to take the first steps forwards.

The small, spindly she-cat plucked up a bespeckled frog from the fresh-kill pile, as the slimy creature hung from two nettle-sharp claws, tacit representation of the chaos that had blustered and breezed by the clan. Was she hungry...? She didn't feel like it, despite her stomach telling her otherwise. Frogs were loud, with their bellowing croaks and screeching knells, but they lie reticent when they were dead. She hated the way they screamed, as though talons razed against paper-thin ears, unbearably acute in their candor. She plucked at it, not readily eating it yet, simply seeming to search for an appropriate place to slice it open - perhaps where the glum hues faded and the sunflower-yellow belly exposed itself.

THE GODS CAN KNEEL ⋆⁺₊⋆
"You know frogs taste better when consumed with company." The sing-song voice was unmistakeably Willowburn's. The tom had just so happened to be approaching the freshkill pile for a snack when Chervilshade had gone to pluck up a frog of her own. On light paws he stepped around her with his usual flare of confidence as he drew closer to the pile so he could select himself a small frog. He wasn't looking for a large meal personally, but he was still peckish all the same.

The tom was about to head away when he suddenly paused and looked back at Chervilshade. "Care to join me, Chervilshade? I do hate eating alone." The warrior continued on at that point with a flick of his bushy tail as a way of beckoning company. Not wishing to lay in the cool shade, he instead aimed to absorb the heat from a decent sunspot that had formed near the camp's wall. It was true bliss in his view.

- ⋆ -

"Oh, oh, can I join, too?" Gigglekit asked as she bounded into the conversation next to Willowburn, and she looked between the older warrior and the younger warrior. She remembered that not long ago Chervilshade had become a warrior, and maybe getting the chance to eat with a brand new warrior would give Gigglekit some insight on what it would be like - that, and she just plain enjoyed frogs, too.

Gigglekit had, admittedly, not given much thought to being a warrior before this moment. She was content with where she was in the nursery, playing all day and sleeping alongside her mothers and brothers. But it seemed every day flew by, and soon enough to would be an apprentice, and then a warrior - perhaps she ought to start considering what that meant to her, and what kind of warrior she'd want to be.
  • !
  • 80344329_6S8RlcnnRCmX1ej.png
  • GIGGLEKIT kit of shadowclan, three moons
    blinks incessantly & uncontrollably.
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted.
    penned by Archivist.archivist on discord.

[ ༻❄༺ ] Chervilshade's movements were phantom-like. His yellow gaze fixating on the former den mate as she moved to the fresh-kill pile. Remembering how she hardly was seen about during her training days, though the two had at one point or time to train together, still Chervilshade was more ghost-like in movement than his pale friends. Willowburn had been the first to approach the normally reserved she-cat, and then came along Gigglekit who wished to join in the company of the two warriors.

Soft smile danced on his lip as he approached the group, giving a twitch of greeting with his ear before he too pulled a frog from the pile. "Perhaps we can share" he offered to Gigglekit. It would be nice to have small chat with a former denmate, Willowburn... well... the tom was sure chatty and probably would chat Chervilshade's poor ears off. So perhaps his company too can help prevent such a thing as that from happening.

• "speak""Thoughts"
  • Snowpaw He/Him, apprentice of Shadowclan, 9 moons.
    Lithe long hair blue lynx sepia with high white, and yellow eyes. Stubby tail, permanent resting bitch face
    Hailfreckle x Mudsplash
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted (ask first) / / underline and tag when attacking
    see battle info here
    penned by Ryn@/Rynnaro on discord, feel free to dm for plots.

they've missed seeing her around. surely she's just been hanging back more but chervilshade was a good kid. she did her best where she could and that was enough for chilledstar– at least with her it was. they perked up seeing her outside of the den, and made their way over with a small vole in their jaws, dropping it at the paws of gigglekit, with a small smile that disappeared quicker than it had appeared in the first place. they settle, and they offer a small dip of their head.

"hope I'm not intruding. smells like it may rain soon, and that makes a hunt a bit harder so figured maybe I'll wait it out."

they hummed, gently pushing a pebble with their paw. it's not a good enough rock to keep but they roll it under their claws either way.

"you doing okay, chervvie?"

———————---***ALL OF MY FEELINGS ARE GONE***———————---

•  
  • black feline with a white marking across their face, a white chin, a white right front paw, and blue eyes. chilledstar is covered in scars, the most prominent ones being the one across their face, and the one across their neck.
    46 moons old; ages the 3rd every month
    they / them pronouns
    aromantic / homosexual ; currently not looking / looking
    child of JAGGED and RAVEN
    shadowclan ; loyal to shadowclan ; other info if applicable
    mildly difficult to befriend ; trusts barely anyone; trusts no one outside of shadowclan
    "speech", thoughts, attacking
    peaceful powerplay allowed

Dull olive eyes floated onto the somewhat unfamiliar cat, wading through an endless sea of mind's fog until she figured who this was, like soft voices susurrated and tempted her to go down a wrong path. She shook her head, as if to clear away the miasma that had taken root within her mind. It always settled into her at the worst times possible. Will... Willow... Willowburn! That's right. "Of course... I'd l-love to eat with you..." Chervilshade flashed a small smile to the dark brown tabby, like her features had been cast into brume itself, wavering and unsure of its own reflection. Every movement of the molly's seemed frostbitten to those that did not know her, but she simply had much trouble even bringing many emotions to the surface at all. She moved from where she was, with quicker pace than normal to the sun-kissed spot where Willowburn waited. At Gigglekit's company, Chervil nodded to the littler kitten, though the gesture was short-lived like her bones had been dried into rime. She still keenly recalled what it was like to be a kitten, with the whole extending far beyond one's own twining whiskers, to have the world communicate over and over to one that it had never been built for her. Sometimes, she still felt like a kitten.

Snowpaw was more of a familiar face that she had hoped to see. "Yes, please do... S-Sharing is important..." The dilute tortoiseshell molly purred, as she started to groom cloudlike wisps of her fur, curling her tail along the ridges of gossamer paws. "You can have m-mine... I'm... I'm not hungry..." She placed down the frog, hunger seeming to die like a lone light into the overbearing darkness. She never had much of an appetite, anyhow. At Chilledstar's presence, Chervilshade found herself immediately straightening her posture, form ungraceful and almost like an eiderdown cygnet, rustling against the cold ground of fluttering foliage. Though, they seemed to arrive as a friend and not as her leader, so the tension in Chervil's bird-bone frame melted away like fog strewn along a deep marine. At least she was a good warrior in their eyes. Little else mattered than never swaying into the disappointment of her superiors. "I-I'm fine... Thank you f-for checking on me, Chill... Chilledstar..."