backwritten SOMETHING GREATER THAN US - duststorm

HOLLYWHISPER.

SECRETIVE SOUL
Nov 19, 2023
And so his suspicions may very well be true.

This isn't the scariest part. This is the part where most pairs will be overjoyed, reveling in the fact that their family is to grow, that their love has blossomed and there is living proof to show for it. The scariest part is having them, and then raising them, watching them grow up. And yet, Hollywhisper feels tense, because he knows that neither of them are ready for this. Duststorm's family situation is… a mess, and he had no memory of his mother.

Hollywhisper's heart pounds in his chest, and he's not sure if the dizziness is from nerves or because of his condition. He takes a deep breath, and sighs.

The last time he'd approached Duststorm like this was when he'd confessed. He really wants nothing more than to curl up next to the fawn tabby and pretend nothing was wrong - but he can't. In time, it'd be obvious what ails him. Not telling his mate would make it worse in the long run, forcing him to figure it out himself.

‘Here goes nothing,’ he thinks as he approaches, brushing up against the fawn tabby to try and surprise him. He lets out a laugh - half because he thinks it's funny and half bitterly because soon enough, the stealth he prized himself on would be stolen away from him. Just like his speed, and his freedom as he sits trapped in the nursery, waiting for kittens to decide to make their entrance into the world.

“Got you, didn't I, Cally?” he purrs - though he's certain that his nervousness is not as well hidden as he wants it to be. He'd continued to use the nickname in private, having decided on ‘Dusty’ for use around Clanmates, and just saying it now brings him a sense of familiarity that is comforting.

He sits, taking another deep breath. “So, I… think I might be pregnant. Which… is… interesting? I'm not sure how to describe it, because I'm not sure how I feel,” he admits. Letting himself be honest takes a weight off his chest, and it makes him feel a little bit better. Hollywhisper looks to Duststorm, flattening his ears and letting the gleams of fear shine through in his gaze. “I'm… scared though.”

Because he is. Because neither of them planned for this, neither of them know what to do. But they're together, and they have to work through it together, don't they?

// takes place a little after the thread where he talks to butterflytuft + before he moves into the nursery @DUSTSTORM

"Speech"

SOMETIMES THAT LONELY LOVE DEFILES YOU