speak your mind ★ Howlingstar

A few days had passed since Howlingstar had named her to be her successor. Even now, it felt unreal. She had known of her mate's consideration of stepping down, but she had not been expecting to be the one to walk in his pawsteps. It felt strange, having all of her clanmate's gazes on her at once. She felt like a new joiner all over again...everyone trying to figure her out. Of course, she knew the feeling would pass with time, just as it had before, but it still bothered her. On her first day, she had forgotten to assign Hailstorm some help with gathering herbs. Had Howlingstar made mistakes when she was first named deputy? The brown molly had been Thunderclan's deputy before she had joined...but she could recall Emberstar certainly making mistakes on patrols. Though, Emberstar was also busy leading on top of assigning patrols, so she had a good reason.

Her heart tugged as she remembered Thunderclan's first leader. It had been many moons since Emberstar had sacrificed herself. The kind she-cat had been her inspiration to climb Thunderclan's ranks. What had once seemed like an impossible dream, was now a reality. She could only hope that one day, she would become half the leader that Emberstar and Howlingstar have been.

She stands outside the Leader's den, and asks for permissions to enter. Once granted, she slowly padded in. "All is quiet along the borders. Nothing new from Windclan, and no sign of Baying Hound." Her claws slowly slid out at the mention of Baying Hound, but she quickly retracted them. Howlingstar knew exactly how she felt about the molly, but it was still rude to dig her claws into her den's floor.
  • IMG_1727.png
    FLAMEWHISKER of THUNDERCLAN
    LH red tabby with low white (masks black tabby, carries dilute, solid)
    — Deputy of Thunderclan ; currently mentoring Acornpaw
    — she/her ; mated with Flycatcher
    — mother to Stormfeather & Falconheart
    — 29 moons ; ages on the 20th
    — Smells like dirt, old leaves, tree sap, faint hint of flowers
    — will start a fight, will finish fights, will kill (case depending)
    "speech" ; thoughts ; attacks
    — penned by Icey ! ; link to tags
    — link to toyhouse

Howlingstar is just dismissing one of the other warriors who had been telling her all about their apprentice's training when Flamewhisker asks to come in. Of course, she grants permission immediately and greets her new deputy with a kind smile. Her ears flick at the news as she moves to shift into a comfortable crouch, her tail wrapping tightly around her body to keep out the chill of the stone floor. "Good. I'm still worried she'll try to come back - she made quite a show of wanting all of her children dead," The leader utters with a disgusted shake of her head. Only a cruel monster could ever do such a thing.

She huffs and eases herself back into comfort, her eyes shutting briefly before a single eyelid peaks open. "How have you been doing in the role? Are you settling in okay?" She probes curiously, wanting to make sure everything has been going okay. She knows Flamewhisker has covered for Flycatcher before when he's been hurt, but to take on the job full-time is something else entirely.

As the warrior she had been talking to leaves, she dips her head in greeting, and slowly sits down in the spot where they had been. She flicks her tail to cover her front paws, and ruffles her pelt upwards to help warm herself up. Being in the den was a nice wind block, but nothing could take the chill out of the air during leaf-bare. Somedays she wondered if days like this were why her littermates decided to continue being kitty pets, even after her and her mother tried to save them. Because they are weak.

Howlingstar shares the same concerns over Baying Hound that she does. "I'll add another warrior to each patrol, just in case she tries to pull any funny business." she suggests. She had considered two, but she didn't want to leave the camp unprotected. If that rogue did make it to the camp, she was certain that the molly would not be leaving the camp. Any cat who attacked their own kits in such a way would be swiftly disposed of by any of their clanmates.

Her leader's next question surprises her a little, and she licks her chest fur in embarrassment. "If I'm being honest, it is definitely strange having everyone's attention on me while assigning patrols." Her voice was light with amusement. "But I'm getting used to it. Flycatcher left big paw-steps to fill...I hope that someday I can fill them."
  • IMG_1727.png
    — Deputy of Thunderclan ; currently mentoring Acornpaw
    — link to toyhouse

A hummed chuckle is given in response to the other's answer, a warm smile on the older tabby's maw. "It is an adjustment," She agrees, remembering how it felt to be named Emberstar's deputy. To suddenly be in charge of every cat in the clan except for one...it had been a lot of responsibility to learn, a lot of burdens to shoulder. She would not trade it for anything, though.

"I have no doubt you will," She assures gently, tilting her head a bit to the side as she studies Flamewhisker's face, searching for any readable emotion. Flycatcher had been a reliable deputy; she considers herself the luckiest leader in the forest to have had him serve under her for so long as her second-in-command. But Flamewhisker's experience as a longstanding lead warrior will aid her, Howlingstar knows. And should the leader fall...she knows the ginger tabby would lead the clan well. "If you need help with anything, or have any questions, I want you to know you can come to me. We're partners, now," She trills lightheartedly, her smile growing.

IMG_8777-2.jpg

I have no doubt you will.

Howlingstar's words made her fur grow warm. For a brief moment, the brown tabby felt like her mother, reassuring any worries that she may have. Is this what it is like to have a mother? A flash of pain struck through her gaze, but she tried to blink it away before it became too obvious. Her mother had been too overcome with grief over losing Flamewhisker's siblings to twolegs that she had grown distant...then after a hard fall, she had been permanently injured, leaving Flamewhisker to care for them both at a young age. Having this much trust put into her was something she had never expected...especially by a cat who had so much family on the council. She had been a member of Thunderclan for many season cycles, but she still couldn't believe she had been chosen over Howlingstar's son, or other family.

"Thank you...I will" she breathed, trying her best to swallow back the emotions that were swelling up her throat. "Thunderclan is my family, and means everything to me. I will do everything I can to ensure its safety."
IMG_8777-3.jpg

• IMG_1727.png
    — Deputy of Thunderclan ; currently mentoring none
    — link to toyhouse

• Love
Reactions: HOWLINGSTAR