spend too much of my life now trying to play fair [ sand ]

————— ❁ —————
SOMETIMES I CAN'T BELIEVE IT
It hasn't been long since Lichenpaw and Sandpaw traded places, one of Sunnyday's former apprentices leaving the medicine den while the other takes up permanent residence. It would be easy for that to be it, for Lichenpaw to keep avoiding Sandpaw as he has throughout her recovery, but he's never really known when to leave things alone. The sight of her doesn't cause the same pit in his stomach as when she was in the medicine den, but there's still guilt there. Still hesitance. He never came in to check on her when she was awake.

But now, Lichenpaw swallows back his hesitance, pads from the medicine den with a smile that he hopes won't betray too much of his nerves. He catches Sandpaw coming back from a patrol —it's weird not going out on the regular patrols anymore — and is quick to approach as soon as she's separated from Blizzard Fang. "Heya Sandpaw," he says, a little too loud as his squeaky voice often is.

He falters for a moment, not really sure of what to say. A lump in his throat, guilt for his avoidance, for dragging her into his petty argument, rising back up. Still, he barrels on. "I, uh, just wanted to — to ask how things have been going? Now that you're, y'know. Back to training." His grin is shaky and lopsided, twitch paw tapping restlessly at the ground. He's making eye contact though, at least.
I'M MOVING PAST THE FEELING !
————— ❁ —————

• // @sandpaw
  • LICHENPAW named for the lichen on the trees of his home.
    — he/him or they/them. 11 moons.
    — thunderclan medicine cat apprentice, mentored by berryheart.
    — bears a near-permanent nervous grin.

primary character, high activity. penned by saturnid. IC opinions :']​
  • "SPEECH"
  • 66645992_9XglqEnKXn6q8TJ.png

• Love
Reactions: sandthorn

"GOLDEN CHILD, LION BOY;"
her paws were aching by the time the patrol had returned to camp, exhaustion clung to her muscles like a stubborn burr.
a quick farewell was bid to blizzard fang before she turned to head for her nest, paws dragging ever so slightly. although her endurance grew with every patrol, every training session, she still felt as if she needed a moons worth of sleep to recover.

large dappled paws made their way into her downcast gaze, a greeting followed quickly and rather loudly. her spine straightened at the sudden approach as she lifted her eyes to glance over lichenpaw. the most she had seen of them in the former moons was his tail as he left berryheart's den, leaving behind a songbird or mouse. it was strange to go from spending every day working together, to nothing at all. sandpaw would be lying if she said it didn't hurt."hello," she greets the medicine cat apprentice back rather distantly, shuffling her weight to sit. he hesitates, an awkward silence following her words. sandpaw just lets it hang between them, her stare holding strong.

at last, it is filled. her tongue presses against her cheek as they continue. the question itself was harmless, but she stiffened ever so slightly. "well enough. it's not easy getting back into the swing of things, but i'm managing." she didn't bother to go into the specifics, lichenpaw knew of blizzard fang's regiments. it was a notion that bothered her often, made her feel like little more than a replacement. but her new mentor was strong, respected and skilled. she listened to his teachings, tried to not hold this situation against him.

"and you? how's the new position treatin ya? everyone seemed pleased with berryheart's decision." truthfully, she was unsure how she felt herself. it had been a shock to see them standing high above camp alongside howlingstar, praise shouted from below. sandpaw had little time to truly figure out how she felt outside of the initial surprise, thrust right back into training. a golden gaze watched carefully, gauging the other apprentice's response.
✦ 𖤓 ✦