SPINNING AROUND [☄] THE GREAT SYCAMORE

*:・゚✧ He's got to get better! One would argue that hunting is more important than climbing, but he wanted to try and focus on climbing today. Gingerpaw is unsure of his brother Wildheart's legacy as an apprentice within the clan, but he knows one thing. Regardless of whether or not he is worse than his brother in terms of not grasping training as easily, he will continue to give it his all. the fact that he was quite horrendous at climbing trees compared to other apprentices within the clan around his age did sting, but he turned that shame into motivation. so much so he snuck out of camp at the first sliver of light, before his mentor could come find him and drag him to training. perhaps he would be scolded about it, but he wanted to at least do better than last time he tried to climb the great sycamore. technically younger apprentices would learn and practice their climbing here, but if he still struggled climbing the great sycamore, then how much better would he fair climbing the owl tree?

unaware he is of how much time has passed since dawn, the apprentice had fallen off multiple times or awkwardly got down in a bundle of limbs. his fur was covered in dirt and leaves. The red tom would pant from exhaustion and from pain, looking up at the tree in front of him. One more. Come on, we got this! Gingerpaw lets do better today! After this last try we get to take a breather? That sounds good right? He would close his eyes and mouth, taking a deep breathe in and out before opening his eyes again. With a shake of his head he exerted himself to dart up the tree.

Pushing yourself is good and all, but there is a limit after all. Very quickly did his burst of energy run. His paws buckled awkwardly from exertion, which caused his claws to scrape against tree bark. Shit. And down he would tumble, limbs flailing in every which way. Yowls could be heard as he felt himself be scraped by unpleasant bark. Eventually he would find himself on the ground, a bit dizzy and aching. It was evident despite the tumble that he was very much alive, his chest rising and falling with each breath. I don't think I broke anything? Just stings. It's okay if I lie down here for a bit right. Urrghhh.

it was by chance that nightbird was on her way to the great sycamore with a hunting patrol. they weren't too far out, paws slowly moving until recognizable yowls began ringing out. although she couldn't pinpoint who exactly, it had to be a thunderclanner. she shared a glance with the warrior closest to her that said just that before quickening her pace to reach the tree.

her gaze sharpened onto the apprentice sprawled against the ground, not fully convinced he was alive until she witnessed the rise and fall of his flank. her head snapped around, no mentor in sight. with a heavy sigh the lead warrior approached, taking a white paw and prodding the child in the ribs. "gingerpaw, did you fall?" it wasn't hard to put the pieces together. big tree, an apprentice who bore a shocking resemblance to a baby bird shoved from it's nest. her tail twitched in slight irritation.

"can you stand or do we need to carry you," nightbird prompted him again, brow quirking upwards as she stared down. her sympathy for this situation was admittedly low, who in their right mind attempted to scale this tree alone with no direction? but that was a conversation for gingerpaw to have with his mentor, she had her own apprentice to worry about.

• @DUSKPAW

• IMG_0032.png
  • NIGHTBIRD she/her, lead warrior of thunderclan, twenty-four moons
    nightbird is a small black smoke molly with pale silver eyes. a loner turned thunderclanner, her loyalty and drive to provide for her clan is unwavering. however, she is not known for harboring a bleeding heart, instead equipped with sarcastically fueled wit, brutal honesty, and a sharply edged tongue.
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted / / underline and tag when attacking ↛ see battle info here
    penned by vayle@vayl3 on discord, feel free to dm for plots.

each time she thinks of it, freckleflame wishes she could return to her ‘paw days. not minding that it was but a moon behind her, she felt as though she were too young for this freedom — expected to be scolded, sniped at with each pawstep she takes from camp alone. she could do that now! but starclan forbid she do. her heart could tick out of her chest with it, the urge to look over her shoulder keeping her mind from the hunt, from the borders. no one had prepared her for this, but if all else failed, the cream - kissed tortoiseshell could always fall back upon her orders. nightbird calls her for a patrol and she is on her feet in an instant, striding heavily after the dark molly on wide, tufted paws.

adulthood was great, she’d always thought. cant wait to be a warrior, she’d thought — and it felt nice, it truly did. she wears it like a badge of honor, lets it puff her chest and whisk her maw into a wide, wolfish grin. but it’s scary — it’s unnerving, to know she was on her own now. out from beneath the watchful eye of her mentor, danger lurking about every corner. had she been trained enough? she still feels as though she should be climbing the great sycamore, bruising her behind instead of hunting, crouching in the tall grass and — her thoughts are cut short but a thud, by her patrol leader lifting and moving to investigate. freckleflame does too, nearly stumbling over her paws in haste to crane her neck, peering over nightbirds shoulder towards.. gingerpaw. for a moment, she is concerned — but the tabby is still breathing. still alive, just as she had been at his age, ” he’ll be alright! “ the woman crows, eyes slight as she nears and realizes the tom is not horribly broken. she takes her place aside nightbird, leans over gingerpaw to sniff at him — just in case. no blood, ” that’s what i call a thunderclan rite ‘a passage.. rite into the ground. “ she clicks her tongue teasingly, leaning down to aim to help him upward, using her shoulder for the apprentice to prop against, ” betcha’ll leave the trees to skyclan from now on though, huh? “

• i.
  • FRECKLEFLAME ——————— of thunderclan ⠀ 𓍊𓋼 ⠀ . ׁ
    𖦹 . LESBIAN. SINGLE, CRUSHES EASILY. SMELLS LIKE SUN - WARMED OAK. ELEVEN MOONS. 8 / 3 / 2023 NAMED A WARRIOR. MENTORED BY WOLFWIND, PENNED BY ANTLERS.
    FA69C2C5-FD00-4FA0-B5CD-9E499FDEC6F5-removebg-preview.png
    f. she / her, daughter of sunfreckle and rabbitnose. large, cream patched tortoiseshell she - cat with pale green eyes. fire - forged, smoldering ; shades of vibrant russet, dousing swathes of shadow and interwoven with ribbons pale cream come to drape like licks of flame over a well - toned form. in warriorhood she has grown to full, hulking height ; unspecified maine coon heritage born of sunfreckle's kittypet background shows itself in large, round paws and tufted, long - furred toes set upon thick, tabby - splotched limbs. freckleflame is broad shouldered and square - jawed, wild cheek fur like the blazing edges of a red sun — a hulking, thick - furred thunderclan warrior, forever blaze - kissed. a characteristic lack of personal space leads her to a slouching, touchy posture, often inclined to lean or bump against her peers, all while beating a lazy, heavy - eyed grin.

• IMG_3106.png

Last edited:
*:・゚✧ ears twitch at hastening pawsteps. urgh, if that's darkflight they'll be so disappointed. after they take me to the medicine cat den to see if i'm not too hurt and can keep training. cats... i'm in trouble aren't i? his limbs continue to ache, which he is fully aware is a mixture of exhaustion and from his tumbling. his mentor's words come into mind and he decides to focus on his breathing. he might be in pain for many reasons, but if he can breathe, then he can regain his strength enough to make it back to camp. whiskers twitch at pawsteps drawing near, eyes remaining closed to focus on his breathing. It's only when he is prodded in the ribs that he does a sharp inhale, amber eyes flickering open to see Nightbird. at her question he exhales a shaky breath and nods in confirmation of her question.

nightbird then asks him if he needs assistance, which he is unsure of until... His eyes trail over to freckleflame who makes herself known, peering over nightbird's shoulder. it brings him relief to know that someone other than himself agrees that he will be okay. a little hurt and sore sure, but ultimately he didn't break a bone or anything. he can't help but giggle when freckleflame sniffs him. it's not that she's doing anything wrong, but the sensation is funny and therefore he giggled in response. at her joke he can't help himself from smiling, "was i alrite?" boo get them out of here with lame jokes. 0/10, not funny.

poor nightbird, her question going unanswered, yet it seems like freckleflame has decided for them. he takes a deep breath before propping himself against freckleflame as he languidly rises to his paws. "Thanks freckleflame," he whispers. at her words, he looks over to nightbird and then the great sycamore. skyclan is known for their prowess over the trees, climbing he means to say. out of all the clans in the forest no one can hold a candle to skyclan's climbing prowess. he knows it's foolish for him to try to prove otherwise, but...

gingerpaw would look at the two warriors who helped him. "do i have to be a skyclanner to try? i-i know that we're thunderclanners. thunderclanners aren't known for climbing trees like skyclanners, but does that mean just because we'll never be as good as them we shouldn't try? i came here to practice and get stronger. and u-uhm. nightbird, freckleflame, is it bad that i don't leave the trees to skyclan?"

fell from the great sycamore, it was confirmed with a feeble nod. what would even possess him to try without anyone else present? it was named for a reason, one of the largest trees thunderclan's camp had to offer. any other old oak may have been fine, but gingerpaw was lucky to even have the ability to breathe, let alone speak due to his insane ventures.

freckleflame announces he is fine, nightbird shifts away as she comes to sit alongside her. the tortie bends, huffing his scent before making a joke that has her lips twitching upwards. she gives the warrior more space to help him up, readying to return to camp with the apprentice, get him checked out at the least. but gingerpaw has questions, her ears shift to listen.

"doesn't appear to come as easily to us, but thunderclanners can climb too. if you want to learn there's plenty who'd be happy to help, ask flycatcher, maybe stormywing." both were widely known for their abilities to scale the trees, and while she was rather adept as well, the lead warrior was less willing to spend one-on-one time with an apprentice other than her own.

climbing lessons aside, one very important cat who should be teaching their own apprentice was notably absent. it could not go unignored, especially if gingerpaw were to come back injured after sneaking out. "you were alone out here, did darkflight send you for some solo practice? or was this an escapade of your own volition," she pried, expression still as she glanced over the ruddy apprentice.

• NIGHTBIRD she/her, lead warrior of thunderclan, twenty-five moons
    nightbird is a small black smoke molly with pale silver eyes. a loner turned thunderclanner, her loyalty and drive to provide for her clan is unwavering. however, she is not known for harboring a bleeding heart, instead equipped with sarcastically fueled wit, brutal honesty, and a sharply edged tongue.
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted / / underline and tag when attacking ↛ see battle info here
    penned by vayle@vayl3 on discord, feel free to dm for plots.