pafp SPIRIT OF THE SEA【♛】casual chatter

image0.jpg
BRIARPAW — hello, my old heart.
While the other half of her biological equation was not something the apprentice pondered often, it would be a lie to say the thought hadn’t crossed the apprentices mind once or twice.
Though, she realizes as she watches Applepaw and Smogmaw interact from afar, that the thought was only sparked when she spotted the ashen deputy interacting with his kits.
Upon perched paws, gold shaded optics begin to drift away to the other warriors that mingled around camp, attempting to recall if Forestshade ever interacted like that with her.
Perhaps, if she had a father, would she be enough to shine in his eyes? Maybe they walked amongst camp now.
The apprentice now catches herself foolishly looking for similarities in the oblivious warriors before her.
Her naive thoughts are interrupted when an approaching Applepaw is caught in the youths peripheral.
As her denmate would settle nearby, Briarpaw’s head would raise, a hesitant question on her tongue.
"Whats it like? To have one of those." Gesturing towards the retreating form of Smogmaw with her chin, Briarpaw’s gaze remains expectant. Perhaps Applepaws answer could reassure the adolescent that fathers were over-rated.

"speech"

Reactions: APPLEJAW
The sudden question catches her attention. While she did not often have the time to idle chattering around camp, she would never directly ignore a clanmate. It would be unbecoming of her, no matter what it was she would rather be doing. Besides, she's never minded Briarpaw the same way that she minded certain others. She can spare her a moment between licks of of her paw. Whats it like? To have one of those. Quirking a questioning brow, Applepaw would follow her gaze. It leaves her no less confused, to see her father on the other end of it.

To have a Smogmaw? She almost says. She'd think that Briarpaw would know the answer to such a question – so she explores the avenue further. Perhaps she meant... A father.

Applepaw wrinkles her nose, unsure what to possibly say in response to such a question. ...Good? Bad? Would any cat give the latter, as an answer?

Applepaw cares for him. She cares for him how she'd imagine any cat would care for a parent. She had cared for Halfshade no more, no less. They both had been beacons of morality, of greatness... That must be why they had found each other to begin with. If Briarpaw expected her to say it was any different than having a mother, she does not think she could give her that answer.

But then again, she cannot say her father died before her eyes. She cannot say her mother wasn't there to see it happen. She feels that some distance has come between them— her and Smogmaw, ever since he went away. Perhaps for that reason, Applepaw was not the best cat to ask this sort of question. Maybe her answer wouldn't be such a normal one, either.

But she thinks of when she was a kit. When she engaged in games she no longer had the time for— created them, even, and she would preen when Smogmaw would interrupt, just to give her a lick atop her head. She looks at him now... and she thinks, maybe he would still do that, if she asked. Applepaw couldn't ever do that, but that wasn't his fault. It was ShadowClan's. More than anything now, she was alone; but seeing Smogmaw milling about camp, at times, could convince her otherwise.

Briarpaw is looking at her rather expectantly, but to explain all of this... well, she really couldn't. Nor did she really want to. At her fellow apprentice, she blinks. " It's nice, sometimes, " she says. Not that it ever wasn't. More so that at times, she could forget. " If I ever just need.. someone to be there, it can be him. " with a nod, she says. And her eyes flicker to Briarpaw, an attempt at deciphering the cause for her question, there. But in the end, it wasn't my business. "My mother could've been the same, though. She would've been. " It's a matter of fact, just another bit of conversation. Applepaw had stopped dwelling on her long ago. With no more to say, she carries on grooming herself
EpC61GT.png

• ooc: sorry this is sooo late!
  • ( CAUSE I FEEL LIKE I'M THE WORST, SO I ALWAYS ACT LIKE I'M THE BEST ) APPLEPAW. apprentice of shadowclan. eldest sister to swanpaw, ashenpaw, and garlicpaw. ( + thornpaw, halfpaw & laurelpaw )
    —— she / her; confused by the use of others.
    —— currently 9 moons old as of 12.20.23. ages every 17th.

longhaired blue torbie with a white chest, paws, and underbelly. A young cat you would describe as " bossy, " Applepaw is quick to take charge of any situation she sees herself as the probable head of. Naturally talented, and for the most part, a rule - follower. She thinks herself better than the majority of her peers. Not ignorant enough to think herself above a warrior, but seeks to gain that status as quickly as possible. Intensely self - motivated to be the best in a mixture of blind, childish desire, and wanting to fix what has been broken. Intensely closed off to close emotional connection and outwardly cold to most.

*+:。.。 "Having two is overrated I'd say" Singekit would huff, tone just impolite as his eavesdropping. But the boy was bored, and in his boredom, he'd wandered about camp searching for someone to entertain him. The apprentice's den was always his first target as he missed the companionship of so many former kits that were all too bus (or just didn't want to) hang out with him anymore. When he spotted the two mollies, though, he'd just about pivoted on his paw - Applepaw kind of wet blanket was one devoid of entertainment - only to pause when he overheard the discussion. He'd followed Applepaw's gaze, just as confused, to Smogmaw's distant form, before turning back, curious for her answer.
It wasn't impressive enough, in his opinion.

So, the boy marched over, tail held high and eyes boiling away any timidity at the heavy subject that loomed as he asked, "Is having a dad different than having a mom?" It was a question he never vocalized before now, but in hearing it aloud he realized how curious he was for the answer.
His mom, Duckshimmer, was all he needed. She was a great mom, she fed him and played with him and he knew behind those similarly hued blue eyes that she'd fight for him just as hard as he would for her, he didn't need anything more. But sometimes he wondered what it was like having two moms when he watched Ferndance and Nettledrift coddle their kittens. Switching places to let the other rest. Being there when the other had to patrol. They gave different kinds of affection, too, and different kinds of advice. Sometimes, they even chastised their kits in different ways. It was weird to notice. It was even weirder when the two wholly different mollies came together and did things the same. Like how they cuddled their kits in the same fashion, yet provided...more. Two warm hugs instead of just one.
If two mollies could parent their kids differently and the same, would a dad parent differently than a mom?
Gender really didn't matter, yet the part of him that stubbornly refused to stay buried just wanted to know. Duckshimmer never talked about who sired Singekit and his siblings, so maybe his sire wasn't even a tom but...what if there was a bigger tom-cat out there that looked just like Singekit? Or like Sneezekit? What if he was a chimera and looked instead like Swallowkit? Who would he be similar to in personality? What were his interests, his pronouns, his goals, and his history? How would he have raised Sin and his siblings if he'd been here?

How warm would his hug have been if he'd been here?

Ear-tips burning at the floodgate of unwanted questions, Singekit looked away and at his paws, " Never mind, that was a stupid question." But he didn't get up and leave. He hoped Applepaw wouldn't answer. But he also hoped she would. She might...add more to the foggy image of a tomcat that probably never would exist but...any chance for a sharper image was something he couldn't bring himself to walk away from.

• GENERAL:
    Singekit
    Cismale — He/him — Questioning sexuality
    3 moons — Ages 1 moon every month on the 2nd
    NPC x NPC (brother to Swallowkit, Sneezekit)
    Shadowclan — Kit

COMBAT:
    Physically easy | mentally easy
    Attack in bold #b8312f
    Can be power played just ask
    injuries: None currently

[ ༻❄༺ ] It was an odd conversation to come upon. Applepaw, Briarpaw and...even Singekit wondering what the likes of having different parents and then... slowly a frown peered on her lips. She remembered small bits of her parents, her mothers warmth to her father greeting her in the nursery whenever he was back from a patrol. Yet... she couldn't remember their voices, or how they looked like. Snowpaw didn't know if she looked closer to her father or... her mother.

They were lucky, all three of them. Even if it was just one parent or... both, they all were growing up knowing them and having them in their life. While... Snowpaw had them taken away too young due to yellow cough. Clearing her throat she made her presence cleared, a cool look in her yellow gaze, ignoring the envy that pricked like a needle at her heart. "Its nice having... any parent, truly" her voice was soft, softer than usual, yet it was hard to shake off the pang feeling. Seeing Smogmaw interact with his kits to Duckshimmer scolding Singekit. Even when Ferndance and Needledrift coddled their bundle of fluffs, it was still something she did not have.

"I'm sure having parents is... nice, of course but I'm kind of.. well glad I guess, no one to fret if I get hurt, you know?" she stated, her voice more its normal tone as she attempted to push her thoughts away. It wouldn't be fair to them if she accidentally brought the mood down with her own feelings.

• "speak""Thoughts"
  • Snowpaw She/Her, apprentice of Shadowclan, 5 moons.
    Lithe long hair blue lynx sepia with high white, and yellow eyes. Stubby tail, permanent resting bitch face
    Hailfreckle x Mudsplash
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted (ask first) / / underline and tag when attacking
    see battle info here
    penned by Ryn@/Rynnaro on discord, feel free to dm for plots.

Any familial trauma held by the cinnamon tabby did involve Boots and Olly, co-leaders of their little band of children. A long while had passed since she'd seen either of them, but her fondness had not wavered with time - she knew how happy they would be to have more grandchildren. Shamelessly eavesdropping on the conversation of the younger ShadowClanners, the ticked feline moved closer and closer until she was practically on top of them, eyes wide with awe. "I have a mama and a papa, they're not here, but they love me. They taught me everything I know... their moral lessons helped make me an upstanding ShadowClan warrior." A mischievous smile curled upon her maw, a trill purr escaping the Queen. Both of them would've hated being in a clan, the rules and expectations were shields to some and chains to other - she didn't doubt it'd have suffocated Boots and Olly as it had done their lastborn child. A head twisted left, then right, Ferndance gave a dainty curl of her tail in thought. Did it sound like bragging to say she had parents? What a sad little home it was for that to be the case.

Her cranium corrected itself with a click of bones. "Quality over quantity. Many ShadowClanners aren't there for their kittens." Even Briarpaw's mentor had abandoned his children in Leafbare, she recalled Betonyfrost's silence about a sire as well; how no one had come forward to even try talking to her brood as another parent. "And a deadbeat dad is worse than having no dad at all." It was a matter of loving what one had, instead of coveting what could never be. There were many things the cinnamon tabby desired, but she knew almost all were tangible; feathers for her next, companions for the bugs that lived within her fur, shiny things that she could indefinitably borrow from the ones who found them. "Unless he's leader... and he gives his children special privileges... then, maybe it is good." But then, he wouldn't be a deadbeat, would he? Ferndance pouted in thought. "But only for you."

IF ONLY I FELL FOR YOUR FICTION
TELL ME THINGS THAT CAN'T BE TRUE

maggotfur 15 moons female she/her shadowclan warrior

69089970_w0f4jlKnmfi9z6O.png
" Parents are overrated, " comes the disdainful snort of the molly. For all intents and purposes, she is an orphan. Mother and siblings gone in childbirth, a wretched father who'd never done anything for her but give her a curse for a name and deny her existence, a foster mother so lost in her grief for her own flesh-and-blood that she'd forgotten they weren't the only ones she needed to raise. Siblings that half the clan knows are siblings but are unaware, heads so far up their tails under the care of their parents 'love' that they never stopped to question the rumors. Maggotfur and orphan through and through she thinks, because blood doesn't mean a star-damned thing to the cats of Shadowclan. A deadbeat is worse than none at all. She doesn't think ferndance has ever spoken truer words.

actions & " speech, " & 'thoughts/quotes'

F O O L M E O N C E T H A T S O N E T O O M A N Y

His father's identity is a thought usually made in passing — in the dark fur that shades him and his siblings, in growing limbs and the speed that comes with it. Most everything else that makes him up, Screechpaw believes, derives from his mother. His orange spots, his green eyes, his destiny as one of ShadowClan's greatest hunters.

He tries not to, but sometimes he thinks about it. Sometimes he thinks about a life where he knows his father, where he can at least place a name to half of his being. But Forestshade is all he’s known, and though she’s a busy warrior, though a watchful blue and mismatched eyes had been placed on him in his youth, he thinks his mother is enough. He thinks having a father in his life would make it different, would maybe shift him and Briar and Sweet into other cats.

His mother is enough, he convinces himself. His father would be here, would be known to him, if he really cared. He doubts his father thinks about him, so he tries not to think about his father.

Dark ears catch hold of Briarpaw and Applepaw’s conversation and leave his mind wondering again, attempting to paint an image of the tom he descended from. But when his mind draws a blank, his attention turns back to the conversation to the extra commentary that’s been added to it.

Is… Is Mom not enough for you? “ he finds himself asking Briarpaw with a tilt of his head, split-green gaze shifting to his counterpart.​
border2.png
  • 74597074_cdZpRJwV0JQAuyC.png
    SCREECHKITSCREECHPAW
    ── Apprentice of ShadowClan

── Forestshade x Vulturemask
    ── AMAB; He/Him
    ── A black/red tabby chimera with mismatched green eyes.
    ── Mentored by Chilledstar
    ── "Speech"; Attack

Last edited:

image0.jpg
BRIARPAW — hello, my old heart.
Applepaw’s response is underwhelming at first, Briarpaw’s interest almost beginning to wane until…
if I ever just need someone to be there, it can be him.
This, she nods along to, gaze turning away from Applepaw as she admits her mother probably could have been the same, though.
Having two parents are over-rated Singepaw intrudes, causing Briarpaw’s brow bone to quirk slightly.
Was it?
Snowpaw muses that it’s nice to have any parents at all, and Maggotfur claims that parents are over-rated as a whole.
Briarpaw doesn’t think that’s true at all, but Fernsongs chime is what peaks her interest, turning to the queen with her head tilted.
"Whats… a deadbeat dad?" the youth echos the foreign phrase.
Screechpaws arrival sends her pondering to a screeching halt.
Is… is mom not enough for you?
"When did I say that?" Briarpaw scoffs towards her littermate, large ear flicking defensively. Once, there may have been a time where she would have defended Forestshade with a passion, now… it was difficult to even be around the torbie warrior.
Always overshadowed, bottom of her mother’s priorities. Between mentoring Sweetpaw and “promising” to be managing Screechpaw, Briarpaw had become nothing more than a shadow.
"Haven’t you ever been curious… though?" She does not look at her sibling when she asks this, optics instead steadying on something behind him.

"speech"