private STERN AND STUBBORN ROCK [gentlestorm]

HOPEPAW

strike, little wolf, strike
Apr 3, 2024
⊱⊰ He knows that Gentlestorm was only gone for a little while, but it had felt like so long to Hopekit. And usually, when he doesn’t know things, there’s an adult he can look to who can give him an answer. But usually that adult is Gentlestorm—and he was gone, and no one knew where he had been, and the little lilac tom had waited for so long… He had thought, for too long, that maybe his uncle had gotten lost, or maybe he was dead. But Hopekit hasn’t experienced any deaths near him, not yet, and he can’t even begin to imagine what it would be like. He had been so angry at the medicine cat when he’d finally returned to camp, because he was supposed to be mad since he was so worried. But now, being mad doesn’t feel good anymore, and instead the kit feels like he’s just tired.

His uncle’s fluffy form is easy to spot from the nursery’s entrance, and Hopekit makes his way over to the healer with clumsy pawsteps. His legs are getting longer every day, he thinks—even though the rest of him isn’t getting any bigger. Gentlestorm seems to be resting or something, sitting on his haunches, so the kit doesn’t hesitate to wind himself silently into the older tom’s space.

With hardly a stumble in his step and not a word spoken, Hopekit tucks himself into the space between Gentlestorm’s forepaws, his tail curling around one thickly-furred ankle as he finally says something aloud. "I thought…" He swipes a paw across his muzzle, sniffling lightly. He doesn’t want the older tom to see him crying, because crying is for kits, and Hopekit isn’t a little baby kit anymore. He’ll be an apprentice in just a couple months now, and it’s not right for apprentices to be crybabies. So he can’t cry—he has to be tough now, even if he was scared before. "I thought you weren’t gonna come back," he admits, soft as a breeze. His brows furrow, darkening his expression, and he attempts to look tough despite the wetness that clings at his eyes. "I don’t want you to be gone. So next time… you should just take me with you. Okay?" As he tips his head back to gaze up at the much larger tom, Hopekit’s muzzle tips into a small smile, tight around the edges.

From this position, he has to crane his neck to look at his uncle, and even now he can only see the bottom of Gentkestorm’s jaw. He kneads his paws into the ground, a low purr rumbling through his chest. This is his second favorite place to be, right after his spot curled up in Roeflame’s nest. He feels… safe here, under the watch of his uncle, even if Gentlestorm did kind of leave him behind when he left. Hopekit coughs to clear his throat, then adds softly, "Also… I think my tooth is loose."

• ooc: @GENTLESTORM
  • 81309324_2wmLWzBSS6UkcAG.png
    HOPEKIT ❯❯ he/him, thunderclan kit
    skinny, thick-furred lilac tom with deep copper eyes. soft-spoken and sleepy, but can be a bit of a grouch.
    son of batwing and leopardtongue ; brother to bravepaw, hazepaw, cardinalpaw, coalkit
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted
    penned by foxlore

YqtPvvc.png

.𓍊↟ DOWN THE BANK WHERE THE DOGS ROAM, POR LA CALLE QUE TE LLEVA A CURICÓ ↟𓍊.
jFAjt8v.png

‧₊˚❀༉‧₊˚. — Gentlestorm knows what he had done hadn't been his wisest decision and as much as he doesn't regret making sure that Robinheart wouldn't die from infection, the stern gazes of his clanmates did much to sway him but when Hopekit ran up to him to embrace him only to say he was mad at him. That had stung more than the sharp words of his clanmates and those on the council, the lilac kittens words having done more damage to him than anyone else. He thinks of when Hopekit and Coalkit had barely been the size of his paws, the memory seizing his heart and squeezed it til ached, and he rests on his haunches not budging from his spot. His dark honeyed gaze focused on Highrock knowing that one day, Howlingstar would stand upon it and call for a meeting to graduate most of the kittens from the nursery to apprentices and he doesn't know if he's ready. Was this how Leopardtongue felt when her first brood were made apprentices?

At least, he didn't need about Coalkit and Hopekit getting hurt sooner than need be due to the newest addition to the warrior code. He's distracted that he doesn't really the lilac tom running over to him and tucking himself between his forepaws, Gentlestorm glances down to see that it's his nephew and his throat tightens at the fresh memory of the kitten being mad at him for very good reason. The sniffle that comes from the tomkit and the next words that he utters is what makes his heart want to break as Hopekit admits that he had thought that he wouldn't have come back. "Oh Hope," The pale tom begins trying to find the right words and what to say in this given moment, he lowers his body so that's nearly at eye level with the apprentice to-be and continues, "I'd never leave you forever, little fledgling. Who would cheer the loudest during your warrior ceremony if I was absent?"

Surely, Roeflame would but he says it as a promise that he'll uphold and won't break. His ears angle forward listening closely to Hopekit as he tells the large tom to take him next time and places a paw gently on his head to ruffle the fur there "If your mentor allows it, I'll take you to the shallow part of the river so you, me, and Coalkit can splash around." Especially with this unbearable greenleaf heat and he sighs quietly as he relaxes now that Hopekit isn't too terribly angry at him anymore. "And I'm sorry for leaving so suddenly. It was not right of me and I'll make sure to be more clear on where I'm going or whom I travel with." Gentlestorm says sincerely knowing that it's best to apologize and show that he truly felt guilt for what he had done, he'd revaluate his decisions in the future.

"Is that so? Let me see," He drawls out at the mention of a loose tooth and tilts his helm to the side to get a better look if Hopekit opens his jaws for him to see. A soft humming noise slipping from his throat as he analyzes quietly and speaks once more though his voice is softer "It'll fall out on its own or you could chew on a stick or bone that usually helps."

pp8zRLW.png

• MEDICINE CAT IN TRAINING;
    ✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿ FLESH WOUNDS
    ✿✿✿✿✿✿✿❀❀❀ INFECTIONS
    ✿✿✿✿✿✿✿❀❀❀ ACHES & PAINS
    ✿✿✿✿✿✿❀❀❀❀ ILLNESS
    ✿✿✿✿✿✿❀❀❀❀ BREATHING ISSUES
    ✿❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀ TRAVELING HERBS
    ✿✿✿✿✿✿✿❀❀❀ BROKEN BONES
    ✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿ KITTING
    ❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀ POISONS
  • 53DAF6v.png
    a longhaired blue sepia tom w/low white and brown eyes
    gentlestorm is a very warm individual and friendly to those who he meets, he's very social and willing to lend anyone a paw if they need it. he's very patient, caring, and it's usually rare to earn his ire.
    56 moons old; ages the 27th every month
    demiromantic bisexual ; widowed mate of little wolf
    easy to befriend/interact with ; hard to anger/upset ; peaceful powerplay allowed
    "speech", thoughts, attacking

⊱⊰ The pitying words would be met with a grimace and a staunch rebuttal from the boy—don’t treat me like a kit—if it were anyone but his uncle. Instead, Hopekit locks eyes with the medicine cat, attentive as ever, while Gentlestorm promises that he’d never leave forever. Hopekit really hopes that he’ll stick to that, because while he knows Roeflame will always be there… it feels lonely, only having one parent. Gentlestorm isn’t his parent, that has been made very clear to him, but he kind of feels like he could be one. He’s the best uncle ever anyway, so he doesn’t have to be anything more than that. "You have to be there, because you’re important. To me." And because he’ll cheer louder than anybody else, too, but that’s not as important to Hopekit.

Furrowed brows loosen, expression settling back into something placid as the larger tom ruffles the fur atop his head with a paw. The fluff that lies there is surely all messed up now; Hopekit doesn’t mind, though. Not if it’s messed up because of Gentlestorm. The medicine cat promises that he’ll take Hopekit and Coalkit both to the river when they’re apprentices—and it reminds him that their apprenticeships aren’t that far away. They’ll have mentors in just a couple short months, and then they’ll both be busy like the other apprentices. They probably won’t get to see each other as much, and they probably won’t get to see Gentlestorm very much anymore, unless they get hurt. The tense line of his mouth threatens to dip back into a frown, only to be stopped by his uncle’s apology.

It comforts him, to know that his uncle won’t just disappear again. He can’t… say it, but the little tom feels his stomach turn just thinking about what could have happened to Gentlestorm while he was out there all alone. He’s heard about vigils, but he hasn’t had to be at one yet. He doesn’t want to lose Gentlestorm. "Good. Here, look," he says, his attention turning to the matter of his loose tooth. He wiggles it with his tongue as Gentlestorm looks, but the the older tom doesn’t seem to think it’s a bad thing, and it soothes his nerves somewhat. He can chew on a stick or a bone to help… but… "A bone? How do you know that?"

• ooc:
  • 81309324_2wmLWzBSS6UkcAG.png
    HOPEKIT ❯❯ he/him, thunderclan kit
    skinny, thick-furred lilac tom with deep copper eyes. soft-spoken and sleepy, but can be a bit of a grouch.
    son of batwing and leopardtongue ; brother to bravepaw, hazepaw, cardinalpaw, coalkit
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted
    penned by foxlore